Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
While I love the brilliance of the iTouch, and understand the enduring attraction of the nano, my personal favourite remains the classic.

I like the simple, no-frills approach that allows you to carry all of your iTunes music library in one place, the elegance of the design (who didn't whisper in awe when unwrapping their first iPod classic?), and the wonderful battery life.

jr.macintosh

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
That's true, my personal favorite is the 3rd gen iPod classic with the scrolwheel and the luminous orange touch buttons.
(I'm still searching for one, so if you have one and want to sell it contact me)
And it would be cool if they made the iPod touch with the same hdd as the iPod classic. :D

TheSuperSteve

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2011
Puerto Rico
So far, my favorite iPod is the 4th generation iPod shuffle. Its cheap, simple to use, no thinking required, Just turn it on and go. I wish it had a larger hard-drive, but the 2gb is enough for me.

I also got a 6th gen Nano and two iPod touches (2G, 4G). The iPod touches are my least favorite even though they're what got me into the Apple ecosystem world thing. They're just complicated. You have to mess with home screens and organizing everything and what apps they should have and updating them and you have to buy cases for them and yadda yadda yadda... As you can tell, I'm way too organized and my iPod touch drives me crazy sometimes.

The 6th gen nano is okay. I love the built in Nike+, great for running. I bought it to use it as a watch and it was a terrible experience. I ended up just throwing the watch band in a box somewhere and forgetting I even bought it.

I'm looking into buying an iPod classic though. Something about it tells me that it would be my favorite iPod if I had one. I prefer simplicity and the iPod classic has that and tons of capacity to store all my media.

Rawkfist

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2010
Texas
I very much enjoy my 5th and 5.5 generation Classics. They sound superior to the later models, to my ears at least. Both are still flawless in function. I am also quite fond of my 2nd gen. Nano. It may be bullet-proof.

glittersparkles

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2012
London
In my opinion the best iPods are the Classics, hands down. beautiful to look at and use.. and just such a simple, yet complex piece of technology. I have a silver one, which i got for my 16th, but i honestly miss the 'mac white' ones..

I'm not a fan of the touches, although it obviously has a use and a market.
I like the shuffles, due to convenience, and how easy they are for anyone of any age to use.

I still have an iPod mini in pink - bought recently from ebay. i like the form factor, the fatness, and the feel of tech in my hand. and obviously the bright colours; they were the iPod i was desperate for growing up (i was 12 then).

When i was 13, i got my first ever nano. 1st gen, 2gb black. which i think is the classiest and smartest nano. not necessarily as 'good' in terms of features or memory, but i'll always have a soft spot for it. the touch thing that apple gave me in replacement program will never match up.. oh yeah, i think why i like the 1st gen nano so much is because it was basically a little 5/5.5G Classic.

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
I am also quite fond of my 2nd gen. Nano. It may be bullet-proof.

My first piece of modern-era Apple hardware (i.e. made after Jobs' return) was a blue 2nd gen nano, which worked like a charm and had that gorgeous matte aluminum finish.

My fave, however, is in my sig: 5th gen nano, easily the most feature-rich of the nano line to date, and still lookin' smart. I was slightly disappointed with the "polished" look versus the 4th gen nano, but the 5th's added functionality was simply too good to pass up. So good, in fact, that when my 2nd gen nano was stolen, I replaced it with a second 5th gen.

I've never had a classic, but it'll probably be my next iPod purchase, as I'm a big music fan. I don't need a slew of apps and games, and I find the new nanos a major step backward.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
iPod mini. Close the thread. :D

Haven't had an iPod I've loved like that one, it's the perfect size, thickness and weight, came in cool colors and greatly increased the iPod's market share. One of the last great ideas Apple has had IMO.

macfrik

Contributor
Mar 21, 2009
Utah
Im not an absolute U2 fan, but the U2 Limited Edition iPod is my all time favourite, with striking black metal chrome making it the only iPod with dark back. Very nice.

Eves apple

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2011
I love the iPod touch, it's brilliant, I really didn't see the point of it until I got one for Christmas one year, it's so much more than an iPod with a touch interface, utterly sublime device.
But I love my old classic iPod, the video I think, it's the 60gb version and it still works brilliantly, usable without needing to see it too with physical buttons, so perfect for night time listening.
I'd love a more upto date version, wonder if there ar plans for an update soon :)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I still use my iPod 5.5G daily. It's now my video device, every night I watch an episode of something on it (usually a cartoon, since they look good on the small display and look good at low bitrates) usually to send me off to sleep. Love it! The moment it dies I'll pick up a Classic to replace it.

That's my fave. Had it for 5 years come July and it still works perfectly.

Silverbird0000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2006
Fort Myers, FL
I think the best one was the third generation classic. I loved that the buttons were backlit, the only iPod to do so, and it had all touch buttons, no moving or clicking. I think every iPod classic since has been a step backward as far as button interaction goes.

JMG

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
I still use my Classic, but my favorite was the 5G. It scrolled much smoother through my collection. However, my iPhone is still my player of choice as it is always with me and finding and playing music is just easier with a touch screen. My IPod touch is for the kid to play games and watch kiddie videos. It would be my favorite if it or the iPhone old hold all of my media.

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
For me, it's easy. iPod 5th generation enhanced. It has a great bright display, good battery life, 80GB space out of the box, easy to upgrade to a larger HDD or CF card/SSD. And it has (to me) the BEST click-wheel of them all. Very responsive. A runner up is my 2009 iPod classic (the last of 'em). But the click-wheel just doesn't work as well for me. Even if the interface is a little prettier.

I've got her filled to the brim on the stock 80GB drive, roughly 7,000 songs (many ALAC). It gets charged/synced once a week and then rides in my truck for the rest of it.

Battery lasts just like new. Say it goes through one battery cycle per week since it's been around (2006). There's 52 weeks in a year and it's 2015. That's about 468 cycles so far. I kind of wonder how many they're good for. Considering it's out in the heat in the summer and well below freezing in the winter. Keeps on ticking.

My iPod classic might go through one per month if it's lucky. It kind of sits around. It's intended to be a replacement for this when/if it dies. But also nice to have since they got discontinued. I got it middle of last year, still pristine with case, box, and unopened accessories.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Yeah, the iPod Video was great. I had to sell mine along with other things to get the iPhone 4. :( It's one of those things that I miss now, but I stopped using it once I got the iPhone 2G. But because apps and photos became a bigger thing, it got harder to use the iPhone as a music player too. So that's why I ended up with another iPod.

But saying that, I think I like the current Nano the best. I always found the hold button problematic because I'd forget I had it on and then try and use the click wheel. I also like the volume and pause buttons. It's not as special as the 3rd gen or Video, but then it has the ability to tune into FM stations and tag songs from them, and has Genius support. It's still very fun to use.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
The first generation and third generation were pretty cool.

I didn't really care for the all-flat front on 5G. It felt odd. Nevertheless, I have a 5G I treasure because it was sent to me directly from 1 Infinite Loop in a special all plastic Apple box.

I miss iPod. The current Nano and Touch are not iPods to me. I want a click wheel at least, or some kind of scrolling in that way. It was nice to focus on music.

I was always surprised iPod did as well as it did. It wasn't something people could justify as much as a phone. Again, I do miss iPod and looking forward to the new model. There is something about a music only device that was attractive.

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
iPod touch included? if so the 1st gen bc thats the only iPod i have other than a 2nd gen shuffle

----------

For me, it's easy. iPod 5th generation enhanced. It has a great bright display, good battery life, 80GB space out of the box, easy to upgrade to a larger HDD or CF card/SSD. And it has (to me) the BEST click-wheel of them all. Very responsive. A runner up is my 2009 iPod classic (the last of 'em). But the click-wheel just doesn't work as well for me. Even if the interface is a little prettier.

[url=http://i.imgur.com/pMYWEfcl.jpg]Image[/url]

I've got her filled to the brim on the stock 80GB drive, roughly 7,000 songs (many ALAC). It gets charged/synced once a week and then rides in my truck for the rest of it.

Battery lasts just like new. Say it goes through one battery cycle per week since it's been around (2006). There's 52 weeks in a year and it's 2015. That's about 468 cycles so far. I kind of wonder how many they're good for. Considering it's out in the heat in the summer and well below freezing in the winter. Keeps on ticking.

My iPod classic might go through one per month if it's lucky. It kind of sits around. It's intended to be a replacement for this when/if it dies. But also nice to have since they got discontinued. I got it middle of last year, still pristine with case, box, and unopened accessories.

A mac has a 1000 cycle battery life and thats like 2010 and after

----------

just released this thread is 3 yrs old

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.