Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

penter

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
Hi there,

I'm wondering how to get an alpha on my avatar picture.
I've seen that some users have it, but any format that I upload shows white, instead of the transparency.
I've tried: PNG-8, PNG-24, and GIF.
What's the best format to upload?
Thanks!

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL

Attachments

• image_tp_bg.png
    image_tp_bg.png
    10.1 KB · Views: 312

Renzatic

Suspended
I don't know if Macrumor's avatars support transparency. I set my smiley face up with one, a .png with an alpha applied, and found it removed after I uploaded it.

There's probably something I'm missing, but my experience with it is that it doesn't work.

RawBert

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2010
North Hollywood, CA
MR avatars do support transparency.

In Illustrator, you Save for Web and make sure the transparency checkbox is selected.
In PS, try something like this.

Last edited:

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
Hi there,

I'm wondering how to get an alpha on my avatar picture.
I've seen that some users have it, but any format that I upload shows white, instead of the transparency.
I've tried: PNG-8, PNG-24, and GIF.
What's the best format to upload?
Thanks!

Make the background of the gif the same color as the forum background and side step the issue altogether.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Macrumors avatars do support transperancy.
Ps -> erase background -> save as gif -> la voila :)

penter

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
Thanks for all the info, y'all.
Not sure what u mean with MR not supporting transparency, Meister & RawBert - ur avatars have it! Or is transparency different from alpha? *confused*..

Hahaha :D

Actually let me attach a proper version of the file.

Thanks sir

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Thanks for all the info, y'all.
Not sure what u mean with MR not supporting transparency, Meister & RawBert - ur avatars have it! Or is transparency different from alpha? *confused*..

Thanks sir

Just make the background color of your tar the same color as the gray behind the avatar

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
No, my avatar is with transparency, created in Ps.

That's fine, all I'm suggesting is the OP use the same color as shown behind the Tar. My suggestion also solves the problem as it removes the white background in his avatar and replaces it with the same color on the side bar which displays the avatar.

penter

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
Solution

I appreciate the - obvious - tip about matching the background color, maflynn, but that doesn't quite solve it.
RawBert, thank you for the time to highlight & share your settings.

Image size.

According to the instructions:
The maximum size of your custom image is 75 by 75 pixels or 29.3 KB (whichever is smaller)

Must be some issue with how MR handles handles uploads, because although my image was much smaller, at 1KB, but its dimensions were 87x87.
I guess the larger image automatically gets processed and scaled down to 75x75, losing its alpha channel in the process.

Anyway, thank y'all for the input!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm only offering an alternative, nothing more. If someone doesn't want to use that option, that's fine by me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.