Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DUCKofD3ATH

Suspended
Jun 6, 2005
Universe 0 Timeline
Say no more:

images.jpg
descarga+(3).jpg

shawnpuerto

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2014
I can't remember if I've participated in this thread already or not, but I would have to cast my vote to the Shawshank redemption.

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
very hard. not only everyone has a different answer, but most people will change their own answer depending on when they are asked

some of my favorites

Blade Runner
Film Blue
Bicycle Thief
Lord of the Rings
Fight Club
Young Frankenstein
Down by Law
2001: a space odyssey
Bagdad Cafe
The Good the Bad and the Ugly
Rear Window
Delikatessen
Finding Nemo
Being There
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Blues Brothers
8 1/2
War Games
Amelie
Fargo
The usual suspects
Il sorpasso
Empire Strikes Back
The Battle of Algiers
Deliverance

i'll stop at 25 ;)

Centaurr

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2015
Florida
its impossible to pick just one. here are some of my top choices:

seven swords
gladiator
district 9
dawn of the dead
predator
mad max
the hills have eyes (reboot)
riddick
prometheus

Last edited:

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
Seven Samurai
Rashomon
Blue
Tous les Matins du Monde
Smash Palace
The Intruder
Beau Travail
The Big Lebowski
Fargo

Nobody's been talking documentaries, but I'll offer the best set I know:

"Highland Trilogy," ("First Contact," "Joe Leahey's Neighbours," and "Black Harvest') by Robin Anderson and Bob Connolly.

I've just finished reading "Werner Herzog - A Guide for the Perplexed: Conversations with Paul Cronin," which is extraordinary. Herzog is hardcore. Want to hear from somebody who made his art his life? Read it. Last night I watched "Aguirre, the Wrath of God," which isn't on my top list but is pretty amazing, the more so now that I know a lot about how it was made.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Since I didn't see it mentioned: American History X deserves a spot in this thread. Picking a "greatest film" is too daunting of a task. Although American History X is the last film I've seen to evoke genuine emotion, and an audience connection should be one of the main criteria in judging a great film.

Oddly enough prior to that the previous movie I had seen that evoked similar emotion was The 25th Hour, an underrated film which coincidentally also stars Edward Norton.

Best superhero film made: Spider-Man 2 (original trilogy; Roger Ebert agrees).

Best big-budget action flick (don't chastise me for this): Peter Jackson's King Kong.

Edit: Roger Ebert gave all of the above flicks a perfect rating besides American History X.

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
very hard. not only everyone has a different answer, but most people will change their own answer depending on when they are asked

some of my favorites

Blade Runner
Film Blue
Bicycle Thief
Lord of the Rings
Fight Club
Young Frankenstein
Down by Law
2001: a space odyssey
Bagdad Cafe
The Good the Bad and the Ugly
Rear Window
Delikatessen
Finding Nemo
Being There
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Blues Brothers
8 1/2
War Games
Amelie
Fargo
The usual suspects
Il sorpasso
Empire Strikes Back
The Battle of Algiers
Deliverance

i'll stop at 25 ;)

The Battle of Algiers is brutally good. It was censored in France -for political reasons- for a long time.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I am very struck by the fact that a great many of the movies mentioned are modern, by which I mean movies which have been mostly made in the last twenty or so years.

In fact, I suspect that some of the older classics are completely unknown to many who have posted here, and so do not feature.

A few others to ponder, from a variety of eras>

"The Wizard of Oz" - a stupefyingly example of brilliant movie making, and an object lesson in how to meticulously adapt an adored classic ('The Hobbit', please take note).

Two (black, polished, dark) comedies from the British Ealing stable which date from the post war period:

"Arsenic And Old Lace", and (my personal favourite, this) "Kind Hearts And Coronets".

An elegant, tense and beautifully made homage to film noir style movies (and another meticulous adaptation): "LA Confidential".

Last edited:

snorkelman

Cancelled
Oct 25, 2010

Two (black, polished, dark) comedies from the British Ealing stable which date from the post war period:

"Arsenic And Old Lace", and (my personal favourite, this) "Kind Hearts And Coronets".

[/B]

Are you maybe thinking of the original version of the Lady Killers? Arsenic and Old Lace was a Capra movie produced by Warner Bros

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Are you maybe thinking of the original version of the Lady Killers? Arsenic and Old Lace was a Capra movie produced by Warner Bros

Oooops. Mea culpa. You are absolutely right; I should have consulted the box set lurking near my printer, rather than my memory.

'The Lady-Killers', it is; 'Arsenic And Old Lace' - now that you have prodded my memory, featured Cary Grant.but I did thoroughly enjoy that mvid, as well..

Last edited:

snorkelman

Cancelled
Oct 25, 2010
Aye arsenic and old lace was an excellent movie It used to get a regular airing on tv (I'm thankfully not old enough to have caught that one at cinema!) was always worth a watch, not seen it on TV for quite a while now :(

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Aye arsenic and old lace was an excellent movie It used to get a regular airing on tv (I'm thankfully not old enough to have caught that one at cinema!) was always worth a watch, not seen it on TV for quite a while now :(

Keep an eye out for 'Kind Hearts And Coronets' if it is ever shown; it is the most exquisitely polished black comedy of the lot.

Actually, I loved it when I saw it, so much so, that I was impelled to purchase a box set of ealing comedies.

Last edited:

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
Re: Greatest film ever made....Go!

Although Go is an excellent film by Doug Liman, I don't think I can go as far as the OP and declare it the "greatest film ever made".

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.