Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sean006

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 23, 2008
I'm not seeing the great battery life on the 6plus.
Friends say they get 2 days. I was lucky to get one. It does not seem any better than my 6.

And boy what a pain in the ass to charge. Took a 2.5 hour road trip plugged it in with 57%. By the time my drive was over only 97%.

2.5 hours to charge 40%. That's not to great.

Anyone think maybe I have a bad battery ?

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Friends say they get 2 days. I was lucky to get one. It does not seem any better than my 6.

And boy what a pain in the ass to charge. Took a 2.5 hour road trip plugged it in with 57%. By the time my drive was over only 97%.

I have the 6+. Unless your car charger is 2+amps it can take an insanely long time to charge the 6+. I got a 12w iPad charger off of Amazon to charge this phone and it charges considerably faster because of the 2.4a iPad charger.

Depends on how you use the phone. If you're a heavy user, 1 day of usage is very normal. I come from a Note 3 and I had a coworker who could use that battery from 100% to 0% in 10 hours while I could easily get 3+ days. On the 6+ I could easily do 2+ days but that's with pretty light usage.

The 6+ with the same usage will do a lot better than the 6.

You have the power to figure out what is using your phone's battery the most. Check out: Settings --> General --> Usage --> Battery Usage.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
It takes about 2 hours to fully charge my iPhone 6+. I'm guessing the car charger or cable was causing the slow charge.

rrm74001

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2008

See how long it takes to charge using wall adapter and get back to us.

Also, what are you doing on your phone? I get 3-4 days between charges with my iPhone 6 (non-plus). If you are playing games all day, you should not expect great battery life.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
A car cigarette lighter socket will always charge slower than a wall outlet. The time will be comparable to using a USB socket on your laptop. My 6+ typically takes 2.5 to 3 hours to charge from flat using the supplied wall socket adaptor.

As for battery life, quoting 'days' is meaningless because it depends how often the phone is used each day. I get approx 10 hours of usage time from my 6+, so it figures that if I used it for two hours per day I could go five days between charges. As things stand I charge every single day.

dexterbell

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2015

It has nothing to do with how many days the phone lasts but how often it's used. I get about 7 hours of usage whether it's in one day or spread out over two.

Sean006

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 23, 2008
ah i have friends that are getting 14.5 hours use with 24 hrs standby and still 63% left..

asked around work today and couple of people i know said they left the house this am and only down 15% all day with use for work...
so I'm guessing my battery is bad...i should be getting better than my 6 was and I'm not...

tonight is a last ditch effort...restored as new will update tomorrow to see if some kind of glitch worked out in the wiping of the OS

Matheew944

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2015
My 6 Plus battery is awesome! I usually get 11-14 hours of usage. and the battery lasts 2-3 days.with my previous iphone 5 , I had to recharge it 2 times per day.with the 6 Plus this problem are over. So, my suggestion, is : try to do a full cycle charge ,0-100%, and try to reset all ur settings, restart the phone .. this is really work!

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
ah i have friends that are getting 14.5 hours use with 24 hrs standby and still 63% left..

asked around work today and couple of people i know said they left the house this am and only down 15% all day with use for work...
so I'm guessing my battery is bad...i should be getting better than my 6 was and I'm not...

tonight is a last ditch effort...restored as new will update tomorrow to see if some kind of glitch worked out in the wiping of the OS

14.5 hours of use with 63% battery remaining is total BS. That is impossible unless they listen to music 100% of the time with the screen off. I use my 6+ heavily; that's mainly web browsing, some phonecalls, SMS and I get approx 10 hours of usage before the battery is at 1%.
For sure the 6+ battery should last longer than the standard iPhone 6, but you can't compare your battery life to someone else's. They would need to be on the same cellular network, have the same signal strength and be using their phone in exactly the same manner in order for the comparison to be a worthy one.

Sean006

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 23, 2008
I can literally watch it tick down as im using it. Just now for about 5 mins use went from 100 to 92 %j ust checking the web FB snapchat etc
and the phone gets warm.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I can literally watch it tick down as im using it. Just now for about 5 mins use went from 100 to 92 %j ust checking the web FB snapchat etc
and the phone gets warm.

Since its new and you restored it again, are you sure it's not just downloading stuff from iCloud like pictures, etc?

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
and the phone gets warm.

If you just restored you phone again it will eat power for a while.

If you have any doubt take it to the Apple store and they can check it for you.

Do not expect to get battery performance stated by some of the posters in this forum and "some" tend to exaggerate!

Sean006

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 23, 2008
Yeah don't luse iCloud for initial setup. I use my MacBook pro.

Don't think it should tick down while in your hand for 5 mins

Thanks for the input I've done a lot of extra steps to see why its draining but nothing has worked I'll just take it back and have them exchange it I'm only a week in so I'm good to return.

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
That's too much for 5 minutes

I can fully charge to 100% and go one hour on web/mail/twitter etc and come down to 93%. It does tend to hang at 100% for awhile before starting to drop. That's after a full charge to 100% where it may have stayed plugged in well past hitting 100%.

If I run my brightness up to 70-75% I will be down to 90% by that time or a little below

I was doing very well at 50% brightness but have no need to run it that low as I have chargers everywhere. And, want to enjoy the beautiful screen

Those with really great usage probably keep the brightness very low and as mentioned listen to music with screen off

Yours doesn't seem right and mine doesn't get very warm if at all

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
Brightness effects my iPhone 6 by what seems to be an abnormal amount. 100% brightness causes hot phone, probably 4 hours on a charge. 75% is pretty warm, 5 hours at most. 50%, warm, 5.5 at most. 30% even produces warmth and gets 6 hours at most. I have gotten used to running at about 10% and rarely feel any heat and get about 8 hours on a charge. That's with turning cellular off when I don't need it and turning wifi off when I don't need it, same goes for Bluetooth. Not sure how you guys get 9-11 hour cycles at 50% brightness. I could enjoy my phones screen at a higher brightness since I have a ton of chargers around the house too, but I hate feeling heat radiating off of a device. Even the slightest amount of warmth makes my hands get clamy and gross, which then causes Touch ID to not work :rolleyes: Plus when I see the battery going down 20% in 45 minutes and the phone getting hot to the touch from Safari and social media, it concerns me.

OP, how much time do you usually get on a full charge when viewing Settings>General>Usage>Battery Usage? What's your cell service like? What apps are in the list at what percentage? Screenshots at 1%? Does your phone drain a lot in sleepmode, or just abnormally fast for light tasks? Does "Usage" match "Standby"? What's your brightness? Brightness is probably the biggest tip I can give. Next tip is if you're on wifi, turn off cellular data if you have a low signal. Your phone, if connected to wifi and all, is at all times is receiving the networks for texting and calling, cellular networks such as 1x, 3G, 4G, LTE, and WiFi on top of that. Turning off cellular data when I'm on WiFi has helped me a little I believe, I get about -115db of LTE in my house but a strong, consistent WiFi signal. Oh, and this may sound dumb, but if you use Safari a ton and its draining power a ton as well, try not to be so fickle with webpages. Yeah, I know. But I usually would browse and really quickly jump from page to page nonstop and it was causing excessive drains. I now actually stop and read things more and get involved in more threads on here (rather than just hopping from thread to thread and moving on) and as a result, I've noticed a huge increase in battery life. I never could get more than 6.5 hours at 10% brightness but I got 8 and a half hours the other day and I even left home and connected to LTE networks and such (which uses more power). First 60% was on Wifi and the last 40% or so was on cellular networks. Up until the time I left the house I was on track for a 10.5 hour charge.

/macuser

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2013
Hours of use is meaningless

I would say if you are getting on average 10 hours of use you are good.

It depends how you use it. 10 hours on LTE is average.

If you listen to music your usage time will go way up because it does not draw as much power than say streaming music or video.

I get about 10 hours of average use (a few calls, wifi safari, email, etc).

If you do anything using wifi, LTE or GPS for a log time it will drain fast.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
and the phone gets warm.

Turn the battery percentage off. Quit obsessing about battery life and just use your phone. It'll do wonders.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Turn the battery percentage off. Quit obsessing about battery life and just use your phone. It'll do wonders.

I can personally vouch for this. This is very true. Use the phone with the % off till it tells you to recharge a few times --- then record the time it took to get to that point (with normal usage). Let us know what your results are.

Based on that you can be 100% sure it's a bad battery or not. This will calibrate the % (at least according to Apple) and let you know for sure what's going on.

I'm super OCD about Hard Drive space, Battery life --- the only way I can enjoy my electronics is to turn off the % left - or I go nuts plugging everything in all the time.

I'm getting INSANE battery life on my 6+ --- my wife too. Easily 2+ days of normal usage for us. When I go to bed, I have the same % left when I wake up (I check usage for the %) even though I only have 1-2 bars of reception at my apt.

Sean006

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 23, 2008
Quick update

Took the phone back. On the way there (20min drive ) I plugged. The phone in within that drive over it only went up 4 %

something was wrong with that battery for sure

Exchanged for another unit. Plugged that one in on the ride home. New one charged 22% in that same plug for the same ride.

That proves something was wrong with it no matter if I kept the percentage on or off. Lol

Darryjr

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2013
New York
Couldn't be happier with mine. I have come over from android and this is best battery life I have seen on one of my phones.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 92

Sean006

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 23, 2008

Yeah so I guess u like defective products well I don't. If I did not have that percentage on I would have never known the battery was bad. Not a very good theory you have.

Since getting the phone replaced I'm on 2 days with 19% left

If I did not see the percentage ticking down I would have never known it was bad according to your theory. Yeah good thinking. I'll be sure to not go by your posts at all.. But thanks for the input.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Yeah so I guess u like defective products well I don't. If I did not have that percentage on I would have never known the battery was bad. Not a very good theory you have.

Since getting the phone replaced I'm on 2 days with 19% left

If I did not see the percentage ticking down I would have never known it was bad according to your theory. Yeah good thinking. I'll be sure to not go by your posts at all.. But thanks for the input.

If you don't like my advice, feel free to ignore me.

A large majority of the "battery life" threads end up just being a person obsessing about a 3% drop here and there. My suggestion is simply to turn the percentage indicator off because it is just an estimate and doesn't provide enough detail to actually diagnose a problem. Measuring the hours of use and standby throughout the whole day is much more useful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.