Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ellmer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2009
Brighton, UK
To cut a long story that I've already posted on the Apple forums short...

I've had my iMac since mid-2011. It's a 27" with a 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 processor, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 memory, and AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 MB graphics. I was experiencing what seems like graphics issues while playing World of Warcraft. What few games I play I have always played with the high graphics settings, and since 2011 this has been fine - but earlier this year it seems like it was taking some toll...

I took my iMac into an Apple Store and spoke to a geniuss about the problem potentially being this already noted graphics issues with mid-2011 27" iMacs.

They tell me no problems can be found with any of the hardware upon their standard/ basic checkup that they run infant of you at the store, but they took it in for further tests. A week later I get called in and am told after extensive testing, they couldn't find any issues with the graphics card but there was an issue with a hard drive fan. So I paid to get that fixed.

I get my iMac home and over the past week and half have experienced nothing but constant crashes.

I've kept a log with what I was doing, and what I had open, and when the crash happened over this time - and there's no correlation. I could be a couple of minutes into playing Diablo 3, I could be watching Netflix, I could be browsing safari, and my iMac will crash.

The crashes specifically occur like this: the screen with stutter in a glitch like fashion, and then the whole screen will turn either a single colour (black, white, orange, brown etc..) or a single colour with vertical stripes. Like this:
Unknown.jpeg

If I have music or a video playing at the time, the audio will skip in the background, until the iMac shuts itself down and restarts. This usually happens within a minute.

The crashes are so sporadic however - for instance today I've been able to write this all out without a crash, and the other day I was able to play a good 4 hour session of Diablo 3. But last night I wasn't able to get more than a few minutes into even have a few programs open before it crashed. 4 consecutive times within 20 minutes!

Any ideas how I could fix this? I would have just taken it into the Apple Store again but I don't have a lift into the city and carrying a 27" iMac on public transport is a pain...

Thanks MacRumours! Looks forward to hearing what you have to say :)

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
First thing I would try (and the easiest) is to re-seat your memory sticks. One of them might be slightly loose. Most likely it's something else but it's worth a try.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
That's either a GPU or logic board issue and my bet is on the GPU. I personally would push Apple to replace the AMD card at no charge under that program.

Cheers,
Paragon Level 290

redaxeman

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2018
To cut a long story that I've already posted on the Apple forums short...

I've had my iMac since mid-2011. It's a 27" with a 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 processor, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 memory, and AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 MB graphics. I was experiencing what seems like graphics issues while playing World of Warcraft. What few games I play I have always played with the high graphics settings, and since 2011 this has been fine - but earlier this year it seems like it was taking some toll...

I took my iMac into an Apple Store and spoke to a geniuss about the problem potentially being this already noted graphics issues with mid-2011 27" iMacs.

They tell me no problems can be found with any of the hardware upon their standard/ basic checkup that they run infant of you at the store, but they took it in for further tests. A week later I get called in and am told after extensive testing, they couldn't find any issues with the graphics card but there was an issue with a hard drive fan. So I paid to get that fixed.

I get my iMac home and over the past week and half have experienced nothing but constant crashes.

I've kept a log with what I was doing, and what I had open, and when the crash happened over this time - and there's no correlation. I could be a couple of minutes into playing Diablo 3, I could be watching Netflix, I could be browsing safari, and my iMac will crash.

The crashes specifically occur like this: the screen with stutter in a glitch like fashion, and then the whole screen will turn either a single colour (black, white, orange, brown etc..) or a single colour with vertical stripes. Like this:
Unknown.jpeg

If I have music or a video playing at the time, the audio will skip in the background, until the iMac shuts itself down and restarts. This usually happens within a minute.

The crashes are so sporadic however - for instance today I've been able to write this all out without a crash, and the other day I was able to play a good 4 hour session of Diablo 3. But last night I wasn't able to get more than a few minutes into even have a few programs open before it crashed. 4 consecutive times within 20 minutes!

Any ideas how I could fix this? I would have just taken it into the Apple Store again but I don't have a lift into the city and carrying a 27" iMac on public transport is a pain...

Thanks MacRumours! Looks forward to hearing what you have to say :)
[doublepost=1544057317][/doublepost]Heya just wondering did you get your problem fixed as I think I have the same issue with mine

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.