Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

myshoeshurt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
Victoria, B.C.
I'm anticipating the new iBook (MacBook?) so much that my shoes hurt. Personally, I'd love for the rumored 13" widescreen to come true... as well as color options. The bottom should be brushed metal like the iPod backing. MagSafe connector is a must...

What about specs? What do you guys want from the new iBook? How about your thoughts on a MacBook Pro-style integrated iSight camera?

-john

nfs2

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2006
I like the camera idea, as well as a metal bottom (would look awesome with glossy black).

sintaxi

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2005
I really hope they release the 13.3" on April 1st

I want it thin (even if that means no optical)
be able to power the 30" screen
and dual core. even if its only a 1.4Ghz
10h bat
I think this is all posible if you think of how little power the intel chip uses.

Oh I cant help but think its going to be a tablet like the "convertable"

badmofo9000

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2005
Shores of Lake Michigan
sintaxi said:
I want it thin (even if that means no optical)
be able to power the 30" screen
and dual core. even if its only a 1.4Ghz
10h bat
I think this is all posible if you think of how little power the intel chip uses.

Oh I cant help but think its going to be a tablet like the "convertable"

I believe the new intel chip uses just as much power as the G4 just it is more powerfull. So I don't believe battery life will be improved greatly.

mopppish

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2005
myshoeshurt said:
I'm anticipating the new iBook (MacBook?) so much that my shoes hurt.
Is that a Mr. Show reference? :eek:
Oh yeah, ibook. You know, by the time I need to buy a new computer, I'm almost thinking that I'd like to buy a top-of-the-line macbook pro and extra display, mouse, keyboard, etc. instead of the imac/ibook combination I have now.
But things that would be cool-
-isight built-in
-5400rpm HD
-dual-core is probably not necessary right away, but the mac mini and ibook should go dual at the same time whenever that happens
-it had better keep firewire!
-brighter, wider screen

I think that it would be nice if the ibook replacement kept the same architecture as the pro models i.e. number of cores & RAM speed & FSB ratio, but maybe just had a cheaper video card, slower HD (with 7200 in pro), slightly slower clock speed, different casing, etc. They should still be able to differentiate the two lines without absolutely crippling the non-pro model like they have been.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Low voltage Core Duo processor, slower than MBP.
(OR - Current MPB processor with MBP going over to Merom)
13.3" 1280x768 bright screen (like the new MBP's screen only smaller).
x1300 64MB graphics.
512MB RAM.
60GB HDD.
Mini-DVI out with extended desktop/mirroring support.
Superdrive.
Better speakers.
2x USB 2.0.
1x Firewire.
GigE ethernet.
Audio in/out.

Thinner, lighter, better materials.
Same price.

Superdrive

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Dallas, Tx
The MacBook should have:

Gunmetal black case that wears as good as the current iBook and better than the current MBP.

If they can't come through on the metal, they should have some nice color options on the plastic case.

I'd like a 12" (4x3) screen, but if 13.3" is the way to go, I'll make it work. The speakers need to be louder than the current 12" offerings.

The durability and looks of the MacBook is key to me. I trust Apple will come through on the rest of the specs.

rccola70

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2004
California
Bluetooth-standard, higher resolution screen, Core Solo or even Core Duo, Superdrive standard, 80 gig hd standard, 512 MB ram standard, x600 or x700 or x800 mobility, 128 mb VRAM.

Wishful Thinking...

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
I want it to take the aluminium design and be named Mac Book.

Include DVI out like iMac and include low-end Core Duo. $1300, oh, and a 13" widescreen.

myshoeshurt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
Victoria, B.C.
Chundles said:
x1300 64MB graphics.
512MB RAM.
60GB HDD.
Superdrive.
Better speakers.
2x USB 2.0.
1x Firewire.
GigE ethernet.
Audio in/out.

Same price.

... you hit the nail right on the head. Pretty much exactly what I want (and entirely do-able).

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
pict05_ibookmini_r01b.jpg

pict05_ibookmini_r01a.jpg

pict05_ibookmini_r01c.jpg

(http://www.applele.com/pict_05ibookmini_r01.html)

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
^ That's a terrible ergonomic trackpad design. My wrist would fall off.

G5Unit

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2005
I'm calling the cops
13.3 inch widescreen
Duel Core intel 1.4 to 1.6ghz
60gb standard
512mb memory standard
iSight
Magnetic Power thing
1 firewire
2 USB
1 optical in
4X Duel Layer Super Drive
64mb X300 Go

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
G5Unit said:
13.3 inch widescreen
Duel Core intel 1.4 to 1.6ghz
60gb standard
512mb memory standard
iSight
Magnetic Power thing
1 firewire
2 USB
1 optical in
4X Duel Layer Super Drive
64mb X300 Go

Basicly took the words right out of my mouth except 2 things

Not even the MBP's have a dual super drive so i doubt the iBook would get one, but it would be a nice addition.

And i have no idea how good a X300 Go is, but I would hope they will allow you to hook up another display ("legally")

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Chundles said:
x1300 64MB graphics.
512MB RAM.
60GB HDD.
Superdrive.
Better speakers.
2x USB 2.0.
1x Firewire.
GigE ethernet.
Audio in/out.

Same price.
I'd buy that SO fast. :mad:

badmofo9000

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2005
Shores of Lake Michigan
I really have to say, I have not seen those mock up pictures before. And... I love them. I would buy something simalar to that today. I want one now. Also I would be willing to bet the ibook gets a core solo, they will be alot cheaper than a core duo.

sintaxi

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2005
those pictures are makig me drool.

thats exacty what Im hoping for.

the external Optical is really a great idea. It doesnt make sense at first, but just look at how big an optical drive is. I know a lot of people like the PB/MBP but for those who have a Power Mac something small and light like that is far more apealing.

I am a designer and I hate working on laptops. I will always use a desktop for a main workstation. so what I am looking for is something small for writing, and to have the power to open a Photoshop or After Effects file for a client in need be.

Up the iBook has always been a week PB with no advantage other than cost. they relly need to make the ibook (macbook) its own thing with its own advantages.

^ wow. I really need to start reading my posts before I submit. thats horrible! :D

jamdr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2003
Bay Area
sintaxi said:
those pictures are makig me drool.

thats exacty what Im hoping for.

the external Optical is really a great idea. It doesnt make sense at first, but just look at how big an optical drive is. I know a lot of people like the PB/MBP but for those who have a Power Mac something small and light like that is far more apealing.

I am a designer and I hate working on laptops. I will always use a desktop for a main workstation. so what I am looking for is something small for writing, and to have the power to open a Photoshop or After Effects file for a client in need be.

Up the iBook has always been a week PB with no advantage other than cost. they relly need to make the ibook (macbook) its own thing with its own advantages.
1. Please don't double post

2. Apple will not release an iBook without an optical drive. Sub-compact notebooks are a very niche market, especially in the US. No one wants one and personally I think it's a horrible idea.

me_94501

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2003
I would like the name "iBook" to be used for the next-gen iBook. The "MacBook" name blows.

sintaxi

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2005
what is the big deal about having an opical drive on the go? MBP is for pro users who use a laptop like a workstation.

Do people actually make cd mixes and carry around a stack of blank cd-r while sitting in starbucks? Or perhaps they brought all their install discs and reinstalling OSX while having a latte'.

5 years ago CD-R was our main form of storage. there was no other. now a days we keep 2 gig sticks on out keychains.

Audio CD Players are the only devices that require an actual disc.

believe me. it is time to change our thinking. They simply are not needed in a notebook.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
sintaxi said:
what is the big deal about having an opical drive on the go? MBP is for pro users who use a laptop like a workstation.

Do people actually make cd mixes and carry around a stack of blank cd-r while sitting in starbucks? Or perhaps they brought all their install discs and reinstalling OSX while having a latte'.

5 years ago CD-R was our main form of storage. there was no other. now a days we keep 2 gig sticks on out keychains.

Audio CD Players are the only devices that require an actual disc.

believe me. it is time to change our thinking. They simply are not needed in a notebook.

Well, watching a DVD on a train is a bit of a bugger if you have to plug in an external drive just to do it, as is watching a DVD on a plane where the use of outboard peripherals is prohibited.

When traveling it's nice to have everything built in, no arsing about with an external CD drive when you want to burn some CD's of your photos to send home.

Not to mention it would take up a port that can otherwise remain free.

Apple have shown they can build a complete laptop that is only 1" thin, I think with the little extra space the wider format would bring and by removing the modem (prematurely in my opinion - now I have to take another little port-sapping dongle with me just because Apple think every hotel/conference centre/public place has high-speed net access - but that's not a topic for here) I think it could be possible to build a laptop as sturdy and as light as the iBook but in a case about 1.1 or 1.2 inches thick.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.