Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

justme01h

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2015
Hello,

First thread for me! So, I'm having issues with the SMS forwarding on my iPhone 6. IF and only IF the iPhone that is being forwarded is ON, I get the forwarded text messages on my iPhone 6. However, if my forwarded iPhone is OFF, the text messages (SMS) won't be forwarded to my iPhone 6. Is there a way around that other than having to constantly recharge my old iPhone to keep it on all the time?

Cr0nus

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2011
Boston / LA
I too am interested in a clever solution. However, I believe OS X literally forwards the SMS to your iPhone so that your iPhone can send the SMS. If you break the chain (dead iPhone), the SMS will not send.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
First thread for me! So, I'm having issues with the SMS forwarding on my iPhone 6. IF and only IF the iPhone that is being forwarded is ON, I get the forwarded text messages on my iPhone 6. However, if my forwarded iPhone is OFF, the text messages (SMS) won't be forwarded to my iPhone 6. Is there a way around that other than having to constantly recharge my old iPhone to keep it on all the time?
Regular SMS gets sent to your SIM/phone number. If the forwarding iPhone is off, you won't be able to receive the SMS in the first place so there's nothing to forward.

Question, why do you use a different SIM card for your old iPhone and iPhone 6? If you just want to be able to keep receiving messages from your old number, you could probably port the number to Google or something so instead of your old iPhone forwarding your messages, you can just have Google forwarding them to your iPhone 6. Plus side, you don't have to keep paying for service on the other SIM card.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Hello,

how is it supposed to forward something that has never actually arrived

justme01h

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2015
Regular SMS gets sent to your SIM/phone number. If the forwarding iPhone is off, you won't be able to receive the SMS in the first place so there's nothing to forward.

Question, why do you use a different SIM card for your old iPhone and iPhone 6? If you just want to be able to keep receiving messages from your old number, you could probably port the number to Google or something so instead of your old iPhone forwarding your messages, you can just have Google forwarding them to your iPhone 6. Plus side, you don't have to keep paying for service on the other SIM card.

Because the old phone is my work phone. They are both different numbers and different SIM cards. Wish I could get rid of it.

----------

how is it supposed to forward something that has never actually arrived

Not sure if they get forwarded from the carrier network or literally from the phone. From what I've read it depends on the carrier.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Because the old phone is my work phone. They are both different numbers and different SIM cards. Wish I could get rid of it.
In that case, just leave the phone permanently plugged in at work. Of course, that wouldn't work for iPhone Cellular Calls through FaceTime (need to be on same wifi) but there's always good old fashioned Call Forwarding for that.

justme01h

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2015
In that case, just leave the phone permanently plugged in at work. Of course, that wouldn't work for iPhone Cellular Calls through FaceTime (need to be on same wifi) but there's always good old fashioned Call Forwarding for that.

Sounds like that's the most elegant solution to my dilemma. Thanks a lot!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.