Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
until the Apple media event on March 9th, 2015. I'll go out on a limb and predict that the Touch 5 will be discontinued at this event. The big question will be if Apple decides to replace the Touch 5 and, if so, what will they replace it with.

MacGekko

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
If they discontinue the Ipod Touch 5th generation and don't replace it with anything do the stores immediately remove them from the shelves or is there time for consumers to buy one?

They might not update the Ipod Touch but will Apple really kill off two Ipod iterations in less than one year?

I think either they offer IOS 9 on the Ipod Touch 5th generation or they announce an Ipod Touch 6th generation between now and the fall season, if they do nothing by October then the people who have stated that Apple is done with the Ipod Touch will probably be proven correct.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
If they discontinue the Ipod Touch 5th generation and don't replace it with anything do the stores immediately remove them from the shelves or is there time for consumers to buy one?

It just means that the Apple store will no longer sell them. Non-Apple stores sell the discontinued items until there are no more available :D. It's just a prediction on my part and we will see in 10 days.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Well, with ten days to go, we have a choice.

We can speculate on the likely future of the iPod Touch, in the light of other decisions, (discontinuation of the iPod Classic, limited updates in recent times, no major technological advance, etc. etc…), and come to some credible, if deeply depressing conclusions.

Or, we can dwell in Nirvana, Utopia, and dream of an alternative future, in which Apple will offer an iPod Touch with an unbelievably long lived battery and a SSD drive of either 128GB or 256GB………..

I know which one my money is on. Indeed, my credit card is already twitching in my wallet and may have to be restrained.

Otherwise, the future holds an Astell & Kern…….

Last edited:

venomgt95

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2014
Michigan
5 bucks says the word 'iPod' isn't mentioned ONCE.

I've basically given up hope of iPod updates of any kind. Shoot, i'm still bummed about the death of the Classic. But that's just me.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I know which one my money is one. Indeed, my credit card is already twitching in my wallet and may have to be restrained.

My credit card is ready and will not be restrained :D.

5 bucks says the word 'iPod' isn't mentioned ONCE.

I've basically given up hope of iPod updates of any kind. Shoot, i'm still bummed about the death of the Classic. But that's just me.

If the Touch 5 will not run IOS 9, they will kill the Touch 5 around 6 months before the release of IOS 9. This lines up nicely with the media event.

Last edited:

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
I think either they offer IOS 9 on the Ipod Touch 5th generation or they announce an Ipod Touch 6th generation between now and the fall season, if they do nothing by October then the people who have stated that Apple is done with the Ipod Touch will probably be proven correct.

If the Touch 5 will not run IOS 9, they will kill the Touch 5 around 6 months before the release of IOS 9. This lines up nicely with the media event.

They don't even have until Fall, it needs to be done by WWDC when they announce to the devs what devices they can run the beta on. That's what happened to the 4th Gen touch. They sold the 8GB model until May 2013. They announced iOS 7 in June.

I've been on the fence about the A5 getting iOS 9 for the last few weeks. If Apple doesn't choose to support it, they will need to discontinue or upgrade iPod touch, iPad mini 1, and the Apple TV. I don't think they will pick and choose what A5 devices get the update and which don't. If only the touch, TV and mini get the update there will be backlash from iPad 2, iPad 3, and iPhone 4s users. I'm calling it: if Apple TV sees an update at the March 9th event A5 devices won't see iOS 9. If it doesn't, they still could announce a new one in the next 2 months but most likely A5 devices will be supported through iOS 9. The question that remains after that is whether or not A6 devices will see iOS 10 (I vote no, iOS 10 might be 64-bit only).

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I *hope* they bring out a 250g flash version of the Touch.

But who knows.

To the one that asked, stores sell out of what they have. Sometime the Target stores will do promo gift cards to help them sell out of them. Although I think my local Target still has a 1st gen iPad. :eek:

Outrun1986

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
I am guessing that they will simply leave the touch as-is and discontinue it eventually due to old hardware. There is also the possibility they will leave it till September and update it then. I can also see the iPod line shrinking down to 1-2 models or being discontinued entirely. I don't think we will see the word iPod mentioned at this event though.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
If the Touch 5 will not run IOS 9, they will kill it within the next month. This lines up nicely with the media event.

What about the iPad Mini 1?

I anticipate iOS 9 will support A5 devices. Supporting one or two A5 devices means supporting them all - and if iOS 9 is a performance fix release, theres no reason for it not to be on the Touch 5.

Statistics from a number of sources show that A5 iPads hold around 55-60 percent of the iPad market share.

6r4ff3r

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2014
128 gb is enough. But i think its the end of iPod touch. Apple is capable of this without a problem.

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
I suppose we don't really know what'll happen until it does, but I really hope a new iPod touch is released at the March 9 event.

6r4ff3r

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2014
What about the iPad Mini 1?

Apple can cut the support with no problems. You want the iOS 9, change to a new iPad.

I told in another thread and i'm going to tell it again: Apple cares about its own costumers...but since costumers "car€" about Apple.

Who paid 399€ for a iPhone 4 in its last year of comercialization (2012/2013), didn't have support for iOS 8. And i will not talk about iPad 1....

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I am guessing that they will simply leave the touch as-is and discontinue it eventually due to old hardware. There is also the possibility they will leave it till September and update it then. I can also see the iPod line shrinking down to 1-2 models or being discontinued entirely. I don't think we will see the word iPod mentioned at this event though.

While I sincerely hope this is not what the future holds for us, unfortunately, I am inclined to suspect that this is the scenario that may await us.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Apple can cut the support with no problems. You want the iOS 9, change to a new iPad.

I told in another thread and i'm going to tell it again: Apple cares about its own costumers...but since costumers "car€" about Apple.

Who paid 399€ for a iPhone 4 in its last year of comercialization (2012/2013), didn't have support for iOS 8. And i will not talk about iPad 1....

Apple stopped selling the iPhone 4 in September 2013.
Apple released IOS 8 on September 17th, 2014.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia

Apple besides one occasion (that is different to this) has never cut support for devices it has sold during the year before which ever iOS version we are talking about was released. The iPod Touch 4 was not the premium model sold at the time for one, for two, the iPod Touch 4 was not hardware related to 5 other devices that were still supported, like the Touch 5 is.

The iPhone 4 ceased worldwide sales in September 2013 and it received a year of updates, right up to September 2014 when iOS 8 was dropped.

The iPad 1 was dropped in March 2011, and it received a year and a half of updates, right up until iOS 6 came out in September 2012.

The iPad Mini 1 is selling in significant numbers, and counts for about 22 percent of installed iPads. Between the Mini 1, iPad 2 and iPad 3, A5 devices count for around 55-60 percent of installed iPads.

Lets remember that Apple prides itself in its lack of fragmentation, and leaving A5 devices out would mean only around 40 percent of iPad users would be able to upgrade. At lets face it, if they're not going to introduce many new features, and this is a bug fix an performance fix release, there is no excuse for dropping

----------

While I sincerely hope this is not what the future holds for us, unfortunately, I am inclined to suspect that this is the scenario that may await us.

There could be a new model at WWDC, I doubt there will be one announced at this event as there have been no part leaks at all.

Outrun1986

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
I don't think they care about the touch so much, I feel they will leave it on shelves till the last possible second before they drop support for the 5th gen touch altogether or drop iOS support for those A5 devices. To get as much sales as possible before they are forced to pull it from the shelves.

Retail stores can sometimes tell the story. If stores have received shipments of the touch 5 within the last month or so then it's likely vthey will leave it on the shelves until September at least..

mangomind

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
With iPod touches 1-3, Apple released them yearly and with the same hardware as the iPhone.

Apple changed tactics starting with the iPod touch 4, selling them with inferior processors and not updating them every year.

Apple's tactic since the iPod touch 4 is to only update the touch when it needs a display upgrade - a bigger size or a higher pixel density.

Apple has only ever upgraded the iPod touch in the fall.

Apple will release a 4.7in iPod touch in the fall, and consequently will keep selling iPod touch 5 until then, meaning A5 devices get iOS 9. This is also in line with this report, conveying that iOS 9 will "focus heavily on stability and optimization."

Suspended
Dec 27, 2014
I have a feeling that the iPods will disappear from Apple's site and store if no new iterations are announced :/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.