Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doubledee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2012
Arizona
I installed FileZilla last night on my MBP.

It said the installation was successful, but when I go into Applications, it is nowhere to be found?!

Then I tried reinstalling it, but got some error - maybe because it was indeed already installed?!

I have never seen anything like this before!!!

What is going on?

Should I be worried that I do indeed have demons in my Mac??? :eek:

Debbie

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I installed FileZilla last night on my MBP.

It said the installation was successful, but when I go into Applications, it is nowhere to be found?!
Did you try searching for it?
Screen Shot 2015-02-15 at 12.15.12 PM.PNG
Should I be worried that I do indeed have demons in my Mac??? :eek
Absolutely not. When something doesn't work as expected on your Mac, malware or "demons" is the least likely possibility. Most Mac users never encounter malware, so it's a good idea to forget that Windows-based method of approaching problems, suspecting malware as a first option.

Instead, when something happens on your Mac that you don't want or expect, turn your attention to basic troubleshooting to determine the cause.

Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 12 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided by practicing safe computing (see below). 3rd party antivirus apps are not necessary to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as a user practices safe computing, as described in the following link.
Read the What security steps should I take? section of the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ for tips on practicing safe computing.

doubledee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2012
Arizona
Did you try searching for it?

Of course I did! ;)

Couldn't find anything.

I assume FileZilla would go in the Applications directory, no?

Absolutely not. When something doesn't work as expected on your Mac, malware or "demons" is the least likely possibility. Most Mac users never encounter malware, so it's a good idea to forget that Windows-based method of approaching problems, suspecting malware as a first option.

Instead, when something happens on your Mac that you don't want or expect, turn your attention to basic troubleshooting to determine the cause.

Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 12 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided by practicing safe computing (see below). 3rd party antivirus apps are not necessary to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as a user practices safe computing, as described in the following link.
Read the What security steps should I take? section of the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ for tips on practicing safe computing.

Yep, I did all of that two years ago when I bought this MBP.

My MBP should be rock-solid, however, I always get queasy installing software because most software companies/developers are morons and don't provide checksums... :mad:

So, any ideas what happened to FileZilla?? (I downloaded it off of SourceForge because that is where Mozilla.org sent me...)

Debbie

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Of course I did! ;)

Couldn't find anything.

I assume FileZilla would go in the Applications directory, no?
That's the most common place for apps to be installed, but if you searched your entire computer and didn't find it, that means it's not installed. There may have been a problem during the installation process that prevented completion.
My MBP should be rock-solid, however, I always get queasy installing software because most software companies/developers are morons and don't provide checksums...
If you only install software from reputable sites, it's extremely unlikely that you'll have any malware problems from apps you install, even without checksums.
So, any ideas what happened to FileZilla?? (I downloaded it off of SourceForge because that is where Mozilla.org sent me...)
Why not try downloading it from the source? https://filezilla-project.org
I always prefer downloading from the developer site, whenever possible.

doubledee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2012
Arizona

MCSN

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2012
Kayenta
if the program is incompatible with your OS for any reason it will not install it, and you will not find it.

for example for the rMBP I would not be able to install nor find printopia.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.