Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paperclip777

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2012
Hi there, can anyone tell me what is the standard US plug?

Is it 2 pin, 3 pin?

Cheers

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
The_Ac_Power_Cable_for_US_standard.jpg

Two types of standard US plugs.

Reactions: Huntn

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
They are both standard. The three prong is used for devices that need grounding. They can usually work with just the two prongs, but not as safely.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005

Is it 2 pin, 3 pin?

Cheers
Current wall outlets are 3-pin, although many things that plug into these outlets only use two pins.

You'll see 2-pin outlets in older buildings.

paperclip777

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2012
Cool thanks.

For 3 pin, does anyone know the exact type I need?

When I google there's so many types.

I'm having an appliance made in China, I just want to make sure it's safe, thanks.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
What appliance? Electrical cords and plugs are rated based on the amount of electricity running through them. If you are talking about a clothes dryer, you need a serious cord that is not the same as the standard cords discussed in this thread so far. If it is a blender, pretty much anything is fine.

paperclip777

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2012
What appliance? Electrical cords and plugs are rated based on the amount of electricity running through them. If you are talking about a clothes dryer, you need a serious cord that is not the same as the standard cords discussed in this thread so far. If it is a blender, pretty much anything is fine.

Cheers, it's a bug zapper.

2 x 20w bulbs with 2,000v on the zapper grid.

It's small, 16x12 inches. So maybe 2 pin is ok?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I believe the plug you want is a NEMA 5–15P plug. It's rated for a maximum of 15 amps at 120 volts. Most home appliance bug zappers use this plug/outlet.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Cool thanks.

For 3 pin, does anyone know the exact type I need?

When I google there's so many types.

I'm having an appliance made in China, I just want to make sure it's safe, thanks.

What kind of appliance? Some appliances like refrigerators run on 220v instead of 110v. They also use a much larger plug. You can buy them separately at stores like Best Buy and Home Depot though.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Make sure the lead is outdoor-rated, to withstand the effects of UV and rain. Definitely want a 3-prong for outdoor use, in fact any outdoor-rated extension cord will be 3-prong so the 3-prong cord you choose for the zapper will have no problems plugging in.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
More importantly, the NEMA 5-15p is internally grounded. That's what the 3rd pin is for. It's not strictly necessary, and some Darwin-award candidates have taken it upon themselves to remove the ground conductor, but needless to say, it's a bad idea. This is the one you'll want to use, especially for an outdoor application like a bug zapper.

Additionally, you have 2 different types of the "standard" 2-pronged plugs in the US. The first is unpolarized. Both blades are of equal width and the plug can be inserted in either direction. The second is polarized, which has a slightly thicker blade for the neutral conductor.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Cheers, it's a bug zapper.

2 x 20w bulbs with 2,000v on the zapper grid.

It's small, 16x12 inches. So maybe 2 pin is ok?

If you are buying a bug zapper from China for the purposes of killing bugs I would avoid it. If you are buying it for the poor English on the box and the comedic value I would actually highly recommend it.

Here is one my friend bought called "The Killer".

IMG_0654.jpg

IMG_0655.jpg

I don't know if reading the box was more funny then watching bugs fly into and then back out of that thing or not.

----------

Thank you for using Xingli electronic mosquito.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
See if your local Apple store has any plug adapters for international travel.

That sounds like a bad idea. Apple's A/C adapters, at least the non-5v USB ones, are designed for 110/220v. They will auto switch to the correct voltage and not blow up. Many other things are voltage specific. Even though you may be able to get a plug adapter, there is still a significant risk of a fire when using an incorrect voltage. At the very least you run the risk of ruining whatever you plugged in.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

Is it 2 pin, 3 pin?

Cheers

Wall outlets are three prong (unless you're in a very old house then two prong exist). As for the actual cord that plugs into the wall outlet, well both are standard. Depending on the device, it will be two or three, though most electronic gear, i.e., TVs, computers and what not are grounded and thus three prong.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Us_Standard_Power_Supply_Cord_with_Csa_Ul_Approved_Canadian_Electrical_cable_SJOW_SOOW_SJTW.jpg

Either. As an adapter, the 3 prong would be better (120v).

There are 220v plugs (like below), but they have a different configuration so you are not accidentily plugging a 120v device into 220 which would not be good. As a rule, you don't see these a house or hotel room for other than an air conditioner or other heavy duty item like a clothes dryer. However, I know that items like Apple laptops, iPads and I think iPhones (made for sale in the the US), but can be used when traveling in Europe, because they have power supplies rated for both 120 and 220 power sources as long as you have an adapter that allows you to plug it in. I assume the same is true for Apple devices made for sale in Europe/Asia, they work in most locations.

slp_collins_220.jpg

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.