Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wirbowsky

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2010
Belgium
Have any of you tried dupplica. I am in my trial period of Backblaze and I am still looking around. Dupplica seems rather good, any experience around macrumors?

Wirbowsky

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2010
Belgium
I have never heard of Dupplica until your post. Boy is that service inexpensive.

I never heard about them before either. I really stumble on it when researching what my options are.

I find that crashsplan has an edge for the retention of file duration.
Dupplica seems to have an edge on price.
Backblaze seems good for protecting one computer.

I have check terms and conditions, none of them are liable in case of data loss :)

ctucci

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2008
Yer Mom's basement.
CrashPlan

The only issue I have with CrashPlan is when it synchronizes (different process than the backup). The file synchronization goes quickly, but the block synchronization takes a few hours. Small problem though, I just run caffeinate, and let it finish.

Just thought I'd drop that off...

Wirbowsky

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2010
Belgium
I am trying dupplica right now. At startup, it asks what should be saved. Nothing seems selected by default. I have selected /users/ folder. That seems to be an error.

Dupplica is scanning the folders and uses as much CPU as it can.
Strangely bytes/read are rather low.

I tried to change my folder selection but the tool crashes when trying to change it.:(
I noticed than that I had two dupplicacore processes running. :eek:

After force quitting both processes and starting the app again, i was able to change the backup selection.
I changed the backup to continuous mode. It quickly uploaded a few files but nothing more.

When trying to force a scan... it crashed.:mad:

Well that's it I will not spent more time on this tool. Back to backblaze.

stiwi

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2010
Dubai
Any further comments on Dupplica? I have just cancelled my Backblaze after it has constantly uploading 100GB of the same files over and over again. I contacted Backblaze and they told me after checking the logs that Backblaze seems to undergo some "healing process" which may take up to 90 days and either I can exclude these files to get it fixed (so not backing them up) or wait 90 days. Really?

They have scored own goal as I was sure to extend for further 2 years but if something doesn't work properly and there is no fix then I see no reason to continue.

I am considering CrashPlan as well, especially that I really like their unlimited versioning in case of something go wrong. The only thing that bothers me with CP is Java...

Chippy99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
I'd never heard of them either but $10 PER YEAR for a single computer with unlimited data??? Sounds too good to be true!

And certainly too cheap to pass up!

So I signed up - all pretty straightforward - and it looks pretty good. You don't even have to give your credit card details, presumably until a month's time when the trial period is up.

But already I have noticed one enormous problem: The backup software effectively mirrors your own computer. You can choose which folders to include and exclude etc, but what it does it makes a mirror copy of the things you include.

The problem is, if you remove something from your computer, it gets removed from the backup. So it's basically fine if what you want to protect against is recovering your data if you computer is stolen or if you have a hard disk failure or whatever. But its no use if you find you have a file missing because you accidentally deleted it months ago: you won't find the file in the backups either!

There's another, potentially more serious problem. If you have your data on an external USB drive (as I do) then you just check the folders on the external drive that you want backing up and all is well. I have Dupplica backing up my 1.5TB of data as we speak... which is going to take a while! Like maybe a week.

But here's the thing: If I power up my Mac with my external data disk unmounted, Dupplica will assume that data is no longer there and it will go about deleting the backup. I haven't tested this yet obviously, but it may be that a simple dismount of your data disk will effectively wipe your back up! And then you need to speed another week uploading it all again. This would indeed be a show-stopper.

For this reason, I think I will remove the Dupplica app from my startup items and just run it when I want to, rather than have it sitting there running in the background all the time. I'll do some tests to confirm how it works, but deleting the backups simply because an external drive is not there, does seem a bit of shortcoming!

Last edited:

DonP

macrumors member
May 19, 2005
Socal
I've been using CrashPlan for 2+ years on my iMac. Never needed it for real but did confirm that I could search for and restore files if necessary.

So today, I somehow lost a critical file, and for the very first time urgently needed to restore from CrashPlan. I couldn't connect to the CP server, ejd-msp.crashplan.com:443, connection just times out. So I call customer support and get an email reply: The server your archive is on is currently being maintained. I will let you know once the maintenance finishes. and that was 7 hours ago.

So I'm bummed. The perfect storm on the one day I need to restore a file.

At this point I'm looking around for a more reliable cloud backup solution.

stiwi

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2010
Dubai
[...]
But here's the thing: If I power up my Mac with my external data disk unmounted, Dupplica will assume that data is no longer there and it will go about deleting the backup. I haven't tested this yet obviously, but it may be that a simple dismount of your data disk will effectively wipe your back up! And then you need to speed another week uploading it all again. This would indeed be a show-stopper.

For this reason, I think I will remove the Dupplica app from my startup items and just run it when I want to, rather than have it sitting there running in the background all the time. I'll do some tests to confirm how it works, but deleting the backups simply because an external drive is not there, does seem a bit of shortcoming!

Any further feedback? I think they keep all your files for 30 days from the last backup, together with 30-day file history. I don't know what they do if you are unable to connect your computer for more than 30 days due to relocation for instance. Backblaze for instance keep 30 days file history and 180 days of inactivity before they delete your files.

Chippy99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Any further feedback? I think they keep all your files for 30 days from the last backup, together with 30-day file history. I don't know what they do if you are unable to connect your computer for more than 30 days due to relocation for instance. Backblaze for instance keep 30 days file history and 180 days of inactivity before they delete your files.

Sorry, but I've stopped using it, so I can't give you a detailed update. I have over 1TB of data I'd need to backup and overall, I concluded that the time and bandwidth taking to upload it all was just not worth it. Let alone the restoration time if I had a disaster to recover from.

I've gone for off-site, encrypted physical backups, i.e. leaving periodically leaving a drive at my Mum's house ;-)

trapbox

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2015
Dupplica online backup is great with me

Have been using it for an Year now both with my Mac OSX 10.9 -10.10 and has not failed me once ( got 350 giga backed up with them)

on the Windows machine ( both VM and bootcamp) working great.

The price is good, and doesn't leave me with second thoughts what so ever.

I am completely backed up with dupplica and find their responses very quick.

I did a though check about them and I can confirm they are known for great speed and easy recovery, no spamming and no tricks

The Main Event

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2008

I just recently moved from Backblaze to Dupplica (couldn't pass up $10/yr vs $50/yr. Their speed is great but the app is taking a lot of CPU. As for how long your files are kept on their server, it's 30 days, just like Backblaze.

From their website:
Once the item(s) has been deselected, they will be marked for deletion and permanently removed from the servers after 30 days.

stiwi

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2010
Dubai
I just recently moved from Backblaze to Dupplica (couldn't pass up $10/yr vs $50/yr. Their speed is great but the app is taking a lot of CPU. As for how long your files are kept on their server, it's 30 days, just like Backblaze.

From their website:

I know they are cheap but thinking long term this cannot work well for them. Also their iOS app latest update is from 2013... It doesn't say good about them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.