Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joebells

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2005
Hi my girlfriend's g5 imac, generation right before the isight built in, has started to just randomly shut off. Its not the power settings or anything like that. We are going to call apple monday but were hoping maybe some of you may know whats going on. The hardware test said everything passed. Sometimes it shuts off after being on for like 5 minutes other times it takes hours. Its not heat, or at least outside heat, as our apartment is 65-68 degrees.

Thanks

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Eidorian said:
It sounds like the power supply. Check the serial number on Apple.com to see if it's within the effected model.

http://www.apple.com/support/imac/repairextensionprogram/
According to joebells, it a Rev B, that only applies to Rev A.

I'm guessing a heat problem (on the inside). Do the cooling fans seem to be operating properly?
Try downloading this widget (demo, real version is $5). miniStat2
Click on the sensors icon in the dock. This will tell you the CPU & HDD temp, and fan speed.

You should not see the Temp getting much above 165 F. And if it is getting that high, the fan should be around 4000 rpm (I'm basing this off my Rev B)

joebells

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2005
Yeah the cooling fans seem to be operating properly, sounds like a low hum usually, ramping up here and there. She's busy doing cs stuff for class right now when she's done I'll install that widget and try it.

I meant to say this in my initial post but it only happens when she isn't using it(so far at least). We woke up this morning and it was still running, it's really random. She really needs it for class do you think if it is deemed defective they would let her do an exchange at the store as she really can't be without it for very long? I have no clue how they are going to try and replicate the problem.

Thanks for the replies

joebells

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2005
yeah temp is only 135 f and fan is around 1600 at idle so it is either doing something processor intensive when she leaves it sometimes or its something else.

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
the regular mini stat is good and free. i have them all on my computer. it tells u everything in a few convientient small individual widgets.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
EricNau said:
According to joebells, it a Rev B, that only applies to Rev A.

I'm guessing a heat problem (on the inside). Do the cooling fans seem to be operating properly?
Try downloading this widget (demo, real version is $5). miniStat2
Click on the sensors icon in the dock. This will tell you the CPU & HDD temp, and fan speed.

You should not see the Temp getting much above 165 F. And if it is getting that high, the fan should be around 4000 rpm (I'm basing this off my Rev B)
I guess you're right.

Some second generation iMac G5 computers have serial numbers that fall within the upper band of the ranges listed below. Only first generation iMac G5 computers are affected by this program.
My Rev. B is in the upper series of the serial numbers. W8520

joebells

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2005
It might be linked to a 512MB usb flash drive plugged into the keyboard. We took it out last night and it hasn't shut off since and it wasn't shutting off yesterday when it was unplugged only after she plugged it back in to work on her project again. I'll test it when she is done with her one project. Thats wierd though if that is the case as that drive used to be left plugged in for a day or two at a time and never caused this to happen before.

Hers falls right outside the range for the imac problems its xx523

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
I had the exact same sudden shut down problem with my Rev. B iMac about 2 weeks ago. I called AppleCare and my machine is now at an Apple Store having its power supply replaced.

joebells

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2005
It hasn't shut down any more since she's been removing the flash drive. That seems to have been the problem I guess. So I wonder if its a software issue, or what. I've suggested wiping it and starting over but she's not to happy about that idea. Thats just really wierd though. Maybe it isn't the flash drive but it hasn't shut off anymore since its been removed before she leaves the computer. I can't imagine that the flash drive would take any real amount of power let alone enough to cause the power supply to be overworked.

joebells

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2005
Well its definately the flash drive. At school she left it in one of the macs there and walked away for a couple of minutes to get the teacher and show him something and it was off when she got back. So thats kind of wierd.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
joebells said:
Well its definately the flash drive. At school she left it in one of the macs there and walked away for a couple of minutes to get the teacher and show him something and it was off when she got back. So thats kind of wierd.

Huh that is interesting. Obviously it must be the flash drive. Unfortunately mine would shut down even if nothing at all (not even the keyboard) was plugged in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.