Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

strukt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
Norway
Is it possible to "turn off" the 5k retina display?

I was thinking about having an additional 1080p display connected for some casual gaming. It uses a resolution the GPU should be able to handle. Anyone done this?

andy9l

macrumors 68000
Aug 31, 2009
England, UK
5k iMac with external display

Run the game at 1080p on the 5K screen.

Less stress than running an external monitor at 1080p AND the 5K screen since you cannot turn off the 5K screen.

strukt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
Norway
I am going to answer my own question, in case someone wants to know or searches.

Just got the 5k iMac, maxed. 32GB / 4Ghz / 295.

I use an additional Dell Ultrasharp U2412M with an resolution of 1920x1200. I booted my Windows 10 install from an external SSD. Installed the bootcamp AMD graphics driver. Then right clicked on the desktop and selected to show desktop only on display 2.

This deactivated the iMacs display and only let the Dell display be active. Meaning I could play some games, in this case Metro Last Light Redux in stable 60+ fps with high graphic settings and 1920x1200 res. I didn't have time do to any detailed benchmarking but it was wery smooth and the fan didn't make that much noise but it did speed up in some high intensive scenes.

It doesn't work in OS X though, or I haven't figured out how to do it.

strukt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
Norway
It should, but with blur. Running in native resolution is better, sharpness - wise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.