Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Hello MacRumors,

Would someone know how to remove the front metal door of a PowerMac G5. The current is damaged and I am replacing the door, so how do I get it out.

Does someone have pictures?

Thanks and keep on PowerPCing!

Sincerely,
Altemose

Nov 28, 2010
located
What front metal door do you mean? There is only the side metal door and on the front the only moving part is the small metal slit for the ODD.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
Start by taking out the optical drive. I don't know where to go next, and I can't remember the assembly of the door from taking apart my G5s, but you might be able to see better.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Would someone know how to remove the front metal door of a PowerMac G5. The current is damaged and I am replacing the door, so how do I get it out.

Did you ever find a solution to this problem? The optical drive door on my G5 1.6 is bent and needs to be taken out and bent back.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Did you ever find a solution to this problem? The optical drive door on my G5 1.6 is bent and needs to be taken out and bent back.

Yes. Essentially you are going to need to pull that front speaker assembly and optical drive. There you will find four or so tabs that you can pop out using a plastic spudger, your fingernail, or a small metal screw driver (be careful not to scratch the G5 case). I am not home so I cannot get a good picture of it.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Yes. Essentially you are going to need to pull that front speaker assembly and optical drive. There you will find four or so tabs that you can pop out using a plastic spudger, your fingernail, or a small metal screw driver (be careful not to scratch the G5 case). I am not home so I cannot get a good picture of it.

Got it, thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.