Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DuganRun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2012
Nottingham, England.
Hello Forum,

Recently my computer has started behaving odd, when I open my home page I'm given page: http://uk.search.yahoo.com/?fr=spigot-yhp sfmac&ilc=12&type=748931.

I've searched 'yahoo,spigot' in google and it points towards malware though I can't find anything that relates to safari or mac, I thought my computer was quite secure but I've scanned it with ClamXav and no infected files are found.

I've noticed my home page has been changed to the above address so is it simply a case of changing it back to what it was and not worry about my computer being infected?

Thanks.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Recently my computer has started behaving odd, when I open my home page I'm given page: http://uk.search.yahoo.com/?fr=spigot-yhp sfmac&ilc=12&type=748931.

I've searched 'yahoo,spigot' in google and it points towards malware though I can't find anything that relates to safari or mac, I thought my computer was quite secure but I've scanned it with ClamXav and no infected files are found.

I've noticed my home page has been changed to the above address so is it simply a case of changing it back to what it was and not worry about my computer being infected?
You don't have malware on your Mac.
  1. Clear your browser's cache and cookies.
  2. Set your home page to whatever page you want.
  3. If you haven't already done so, try changing your DNS servers on your Mac and your router to OpenDNS servers. This will show you how: Why am I being redirected to other sites?.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
:apple:

ClamXAV detects all Mac OS X malware that exists in the wild.

Ever heard of a 0 day?
Know for a fact that his definitions are constantly updated and there was not a window of vulnerability?
Know for a fact that ClamXav was installed BEFORE the infection was suspected?

Whilst it is UNLIKELY, sticking your head in the sand with "macs don't get malware lalalala" is going to end in tears for you eventually.

Apple can and do write insecure code from time to time. The fact that the i-Devices have been jailbroken so often should be a clear indicator of this.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Ever heard of a 0 day?
Know for a fact that his definitions are constantly updated and there was not a window of vulnerability?
You're grasping at straws. I feel quite safe with my statement and you're welcome to try to prove me wrong.
Whilst it is UNLIKELY, sticking your head in the sand with "macs don't get malware lalalala" is going to end in tears for you eventually.
I have never said Macs don't get malware. You've been around the forum long enough, you should know that by now.
Apple can and do write insecure code from time to time. The fact that the i-Devices have been jailbroken so often should be a clear indicator of this.
More straws. This isn't an iDevice thread.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
So, how is it that fully patched OS X has been hacked every year at pwn2own? By exploits that had not yet been released, and thus will not be in any anti virus package's definitions.

Again, i'm not saying it is LIKELY.

However, instantly dismissing problems as "no, you haven't been hacked", and assuming that the virus scanner knows about the malware that may on the box is misguided at best.

I bring up the i-devices because in theory they have the additional requirement of code-signing, which the mac does not have unless you run Lion or Mountain Lion with gatekeeper turned on. And they still get jailbroken.

What is your theory as to how the homepage got changed?

edit:
I do network security for a living, unexplained stuff randomly happening on machines is not something to be dismissed lightly.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
So, how is it that fully patched OS X has been hacked every year at pwn2own?
Hacking is not the same as malware.
However, instantly dismissing problems as "no, you haven't been hacked",
I didn't say anything about hacking. I said the OP doesn't have malware. There's a significant difference.
assuming that the virus scanner knows about the malware that may on the box is misguided at best.
I'm not assuming anything and a box has nothing to do with it. I know for a fact that ClamXAV detects all Mac OS X malware that exists in the wild.

You're still grasping at straws. The OP's issue has nothing to do with malware or hacking. If you can prove otherwise, be my guest.
unexplained stuff randomly happening on machines is not something to be dismissed lightly.
The chances that an average Mac user will encounter malware is extremely remote. "Unexplained stuff randomly happening" is far more likely attributed to a user's action or lack of understanding how something is working on their Mac.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Hacking is accomplished exploiting a machine by using malicious software.

I.e., mal-ware.

Anwyay, I guess we can agree to disagree on this. No point arguing any further.

tnzk

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2012
I'm getting the same problem. It happened to both my Chrome browser and my Safari browser. I created an account just to chime in that it's not a one-off issue.

I'm not sure what I did/downloaded for this to happen. I suppose it was about time such things were going to appear on Mac OS X.

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I'm getting the same problem. It happened to both my Chrome browser and my Safari browser. I created an account just to chime in that it's not a one-off issue.

I'm not sure what I did/downloaded for this to happen. I suppose it was about time such things were going to appear on Mac OS X.
Did you follow the instructions in the 2nd post of this thread?

pou

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2012
It usually comes from Vuze, which is a great P2P software, but a real pain in the xxx concerning hidden installations. It always tries to fool you into installing useless junk and recent updates change all browsers preferences without asking... : Spigot stuff, yahoo search engine etc.

It is not (apparently) very serious malware, just foolish junk imposed on users that do not know how to reset search preferences, but it IS malware all the same in my opinion.

This will force you to open and modify all the search options and welcome pages in all your browsers
----------

DuganRun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2012
Nottingham, England.
It usually comes from Vuze, which is a great P2P software, but a real pain in the xxx concerning hidden installations. It always tries to fool you into installing useless junk and recent updates change all browsers preferences without asking... : Spigot stuff, yahoo search engine etc.

It is not (apparently) very serious malware, just foolish junk imposed on users that do not know how to reset search preferences, but it IS malware all the same in my opinion.

This will force you to open and modify all the search options and welcome pages in all your browsers
----------

That's exactly what it was, a vuze update or at least I thought it was.

----------

You don't have malware on your Mac.
  1. Clear your browser's cache and cookies.
  2. Set your home page to whatever page you want.
  3. If you haven't already done so, try changing your DNS servers on your Mac and your router to OpenDNS servers. This will show you how: Why am I being redirected to other sites?.

Thanks GGJ.

unowen

macrumors newbie
Ever heard of a 0 day?

Uhhhhhh.....

Yeah - ok.

I've now put my tinfoil hat on, and I'm wondering - can you answer this person's question about Spigot, or not?

Yes - I am being slightly glib, but - other than the 'scary' stuff, you don't offer anything helpful.

Why am I even here?

I have a Mac (I've had 'em since late 80's), and I've had this Spigot 'bupkes' now on my new MBP for the past couple of days. I'd remove it (ALL), but, then - I must be doing something, 'cos I'm getting it again.

So, my question is - to you - and anyone else who's out there:

• What are the possible ways Spigot's getting in, i.e., a particular site, or a piece of software/extension

• What's the best way to remove it (or, more accurately, lessen the chances of picking it up again?)

UPDATE: I just read - right after typing this - that the latest rash of 'Spigotitis infection' is coming from (drumroll, please) CNET.

If you're downloading software from them (as I did), and use their 'CNET Installer' (as I did), it's 'wrapped' up in a Spigot-spreading container.

I'm getting my crayon out - and, more if necessary - and letting CNET know.

Last edited:

Charingx

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2010
library

Check ~/Library/Application Support/Spigot/ I removed this after I fixed the browsers and changed the DNS servers.
I used to love CNET.

louie0817

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2013
Also had Spigot installed by the CNET installer while downloading/installing FontDoc app.
I only noticed it because it changed my homepage to the URL noted previously.
In addition to removing the directory ~/Library/Application Support/Spigot , I also removed 3 Safari extensions it installed. (see Safari/Preferences/Extensions)

Almost forget, when installing, I was asked about the installer wanting to access "my Contacts".

Last edited:

Apchaplin

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2015
Yahoo Homepage Chrome Issues

I recently downloaded a program of of cnet via the cnet downloader, and accidentally forgot to check off the box where it said "Change Default Search Engine to Yahoo". Like you guys my new chrome home page is now Yahoo, even though i have changed it back to Google. Any Suggestions. (Note* I also deleted Spigot extensions and spigot from my Library)

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Steer clear of CNet and etonic downloads. As many have found out, they come loaded with programs and changes that many did not want or know of.

Always download directly from Apple or the developer's website. And when it doubt, it would be a good idea to ask here before installing.

Apchaplin

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2015
Re: Chrome Yahoo Hompage Issue

Unfortunately i used adware medic with no luck. I'm getting pretty frustrated. I hate yahoo and cnet now too. is there any way at all to remove yahoo as my home page? I know Im sounding frantic, but there has to be a way to fix Chrome. I had absolutely no issues rebounding with Safari.

bcubed9

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2011
P-Town, USA
µTorrent v1.8.7 has Spigot (Yahoo) built in!! They tell you!

Call me Stu,-Pid, found out the hard way on, ah lets call it March 1st old-fool's day. I was updating a few programs that where piling up and made a fast boo-boo what a mess.

When updating a Torrent program some how it fooled me into the lite version of µTorrent instead (do not use MacUpdates version) , the application even warns you it will be including Spigot dammit. I hurdled right through the install...
What it does...
It drills into the cracks of Safari, Firefox, Chrome and Opera(not sure Yet), but not iCab. Yes I have all the precautions, human error was number 1 here that day.

The integration that is now connecting all of the browsers together at the core of all the helpers of "Syncing" of having all of the machines that I run with the same Bookmarks search Engines now all changed to Yahoo and spigot. This is on the many machines I run and use in the Home Office..

What I found out is you cannot get rid of it (not so far), this Bitcoining mining machine uses the Torrents to mine at you computer's processing cycles and everything you call your own to bring revenues to who ever behind this foul scheme .

Luckily "Little Snitch" to the rescue.. Head them off at the pass.. Today I saw the Blacklisted China's IPs knocking at my door. Using the "Deny" button all the way.

So I am working thru the Clean Install, in the 20th day haul.

bcubed9

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2011
P-Town, USA
Yes, I use a VPN DNS support

I use a product called PrivateIntenetAssess (PIA) an OpenVPN type, I use to use OpenDNS a time ago, not sure what my falling out was. But it should do the trick..The PIA did help me discover the fact that I did have a Malware issue, but it was the way that it did it, they scared me, they stepped in on a search to tell me to call this 1-800 number to fix things..

Really not sure if it was fraud or what to do, so I did not call, I started learning more about the way to repair my on ownership of all things I own that day.

The PIA product does work on my iPhone and iPad as well as a VPN tunnel, there are other products out there but this works on all platforms and computers I use, including Linux (Ubuntu) and Windows 7, 8.x and 10 so far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.