Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Crotonmark

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
Westchester County, NY
I read this somewhere but then I lost the link:

How can I create a URL from an email in OS X Lion so I can attach the email to an iCal event?

In Outlook this is simple but I don't know how to do it in Lion

TIA

Mark

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
I read this somewhere but then I lost the link:

How can I create a URL from an email in OS X Lion so I can attach the email to an iCal event?

In Outlook this is simple but I don't know how to do it in Lion

TIA

Mark

Assuming you are using Apple Mail, you can just drag and drop the email message onto iCal and it will automatically create an event for you with the URL link to the email.

Crotonmark

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
Westchester County, NY
Assuming you are using Apple Mail, you can just drag and drop the email message onto iCal and it will automatically create an event for you with the URL link to the email.

thanks Saberahul

I am using Apple Mail. When I do that it says in iCal - "Show in Mail" on the URL line. I think there is a way to actually get the email to be a physical attachment in iCal.

Mark

Crotonmark

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
Westchester County, NY
Can anyone help?
When I drag an email from Mac Mail to create a new iCal event the URL says open in Mail. This is great when I am home but the mail attachment doesn't make the leap to my iPhone and iCal on my phone.
iCal on the phone says URL: message but there is no attachment

Any help?

Mark

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Can anyone help?
When I drag an email from Mac Mail to create a new iCal event the URL says open in Mail. This is great when I am home but the mail attachment doesn't make the leap to my iPhone and iCal on my phone.
iCal on the phone says URL: message but there is no attachment

Any help?

Mark

Nope, all I know is what I told you before. I have no idea how to do that or even if it is possible. Sorry mate.

happygodavid

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2007
Northern Virginia
I know this is an old thread, but just thought I'd update in case someone else stumbles on this thread looking for an answer. What the OP wanted to do can now be done (as of 2/2015), as it syncs with all iDevices through iCloud. I'm assuming you have to have Mail and Calendars set to sync in all devices.

Crotonmark

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
Westchester County, NY
I know this is an old thread, but just thought I'd update in case someone else stumbles on this thread looking for an answer. What the OP wanted to do can now be done (as of 2/2015), as it syncs with all iDevices through iCloud. I'm assuming you have to have Mail and Calendars set to sync in all devices.
Yes I do.
Can you explain more?

happygodavid

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2007
Northern Virginia
Yes I do.
Can you explain more?

Sure thing. Here's what works for me:

I'm using Yosemite 10.10.2 and iOS 8.1.3. Under iCloud settings on both devices, iCloud is set to sync Calendars and Mail (and everything else, but I'm not sure it matters).

1. Drag an email from Mail to Calendar (Side note: If it doesn't work to drag from the list of emails, it could be(?) b/c it's a thread from multiple email addresses. To drag a single email, move your pointer to the right side panel that displays the message, and then let it hover just to the left of the From/To/Subject area. A hand will appear. Drag the message to Calendar. Ok, moving on.)

2. Event appears in Calendar on the Mac. Event details say "Show in Mail." Clicking that link opens the email.

3. Go to iOS device. Event appears in Calendar. Tap the event. Event details say "Show the message in Mail." Tap this. The linked email opens in Mail on the iOS device.

Hope that helps!

Gildarts

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2014
Interesting issue.

I have two tips.

First I think you should check your mail settings on your iPhone in that the sync limit is set to 'no limit'. Because if it's not set to that setting and you're trying to find the message but the message was automatically deleted due to the sync limit it's logical that the iPhone can't find the message.

Second is to make a screenshot of the email and add it as an attachment to the calendar event. It's a workaround but it will work.

I just tried to drag and drop in Calendar. It doesn't work for me. Dragging and dropping it on my desktop and adding it via as an attachment via the desktop folder does work for.

It syncs with iPhone but then when I go to open the attachment it says: 'This type of attachment is not supported'.

So it's interesting that happygodavid was able to get it to work because it doesn't work for me and also on Yosemite.

Crotonmark

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
Westchester County, NY
Sure thing. Here's what works for me:

I'm using Yosemite 10.10.2 and iOS 8.1.3. Under iCloud settings on both devices, iCloud is set to sync Calendars and Mail (and everything else, but I'm not sure it matters).

1. Drag an email from Mail to Calendar (Side note: If it doesn't work to drag from the list of emails, it could be(?) b/c it's a thread from multiple email addresses. To drag a single email, move your pointer to the right side panel that displays the message, and then let it hover just to the left of the From/To/Subject area. A hand will appear. Drag the message to Calendar. Ok, moving on.)

2. Event appears in Calendar on the Mac. Event details say "Show in Mail." Clicking that link opens the email.

3. Go to iOS device. Event appears in Calendar. Tap the event. Event details say "Show the message in Mail." Tap this. The linked email opens in Mail on the iOS device.

Hope that helps!

I can drag it to calendar but it doesn't stick. it just pops off. WEIRD

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.