Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snarfquest

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2013
That is stupid if I can get HBO Go on my iPhone and iPad from Charter even on my Mac. Heck I get ABC, ESPN and Disney Channels on Apple TV through Charter now tell me why Charter would not allow HBO Go on Apple TV but other networks it is okay?

Does Charter understand we still have to pay for HBO before getting HBO Go? They are in no loss so try to make sense out of this other than greed.

Comcast was the same way until about 6 months ago. I agree on the BS factor. Only thing you can do is vote with your $$$. I did. Cut the cord and joined the growing numbers of people that are willing to pay for the content they want. I have Netflix and a few others. I buy seasons of shows I want to watch on iTunes or Amazon Prime. Obviously, companies like Comcast don't want my business so I do my best not to be upset about it and seek other means. It's not like TV is all that important to me anyway. So what if I'm a few seasons behind on Game of Thrones. It really doesn't matter that much to me.

Imm1207

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2014
Anyone angry can go ahead and send this to:
umatter2charter@chartercom.com

"
You may want to forward this message to someone who is familiar with the Apple TV issue that plagues Charter.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1599328/

Above is one of many forum threads started by people who are displeased with your stance on HBO Go and Apple TV. I'm outraged at your lack of compassion and empathy for your customers. Lying on the phone to paying customers by saying "Apple is blocking progress towards HBO Go authentication via Charter" makes you look like crooks, and ineffective ones at that. These people clearly already pay you for HBO, cable, and internet, so taking it away on what might be their only device is a little perplexing.

By dictating certain devices are compatible you either:
1.) Alienate potential and current customers away from your brand (to one that supports it [you are the ONLY provider that doesn't, it would be a different story if you were not]) and/or
2.) Encourage people to not purchase, or even cancel, HBO because their Apple TV doesn't support it (you can't change an Apple fanboy's mind, sorry to be the one to tell you). They already have Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, and all the other built in apps and channels that Apple seemed to convince other companies to permit.

There is simply no reason that customers can use other Apple products with HBO Go (iPad, iPhone, Mac desktops and notebooks, probably iPods too, tablets, PCs, even other smartphones), yet can't use an Apple TV to display the exact same image on the same TV without having to reroute through Airplay or an HDMI (still not as good as the Apple TV image). Well, there is one reason, it's greed, and it's all yours.

If every other HBO provider could find a way to negotiate with Apple, there's clearly a bad apple in the bunch, and it's not Apple.

It's simply illogical. Admit defeat and provide your customers the service they deserve, not whatever you can get paid more for. Even if you think that the Apple TV somehow infringes on your DVR business, there are remedies. For example, one solution could be to offer of cheaper DVR models with higher profit margins to those with Apple TVs (or other similar devices) already. They'll use them less frequently, so the complaints on storage and other aspects will be seriously toned down while you enjoy the benefits of happy customers, less slander, increased/positive public appearance, and higher profit. You can even make a big deal about how HBO Go is now active and make yourself look good. Well, maybe...

Sincerely,
Awestruck individual
"

Pugman1943

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2013
Two Tier Service

Charter has 30mip service and 15mip service in certain areas. Perhaps they don't want to challenge the slow areas. I am a customer and I feel it cause I can only get 15 MIPS . They are also a pain to deal with.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
I bet if a good number of customers start dropping them then they would change their tune quickly.

Imm1207

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2014
I bet if a good number of customers start dropping them then they would change their tune quickly.

The problem is that they are the only (semi) competent provider in certain areas, atleast concerning internet speeds and cable. Also, it's hard to give up Cable (and switch to DSL or some sort of Clearwire) when the issue at hand is HBO Go, which requires cable.

I know my family would gladly switch if there were another viable option, but the issue is availability combined with quality/speed. Had the laws preventing monopolies helped to keep this regional segmentation from happening, rather than simply prevent a national monopoly, we wouldn't be in this predicament. There would be choices rather than cornered angry customers with dysfunctional top-of-the-line technology that integrates with everything else.

What gets me is that their boxes would be complete if these customers lived in South Tampa rather than the Midwest. They'd probably pay less too considering Charter's prices are over the top... But what provider doesn't enjoy gouging their beloved customers?

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
The problem is that they are the only (semi) competent provider in certain areas, atleast concerning internet speeds and cable. Also, it's hard to give up Cable (and switch to DSL or some sort of Clearwire) when the issue at hand is HBO Go, which requires cable.

I know my family would gladly switch if there were another viable option, but the issue is availability combined with quality/speed. Had the laws preventing monopolies helped to keep this regional segmentation from happening, rather than simply prevent a national monopoly, we wouldn't be in this predicament. There would be choices rather than cornered angry customers with dysfunctional top-of-the-line technology that integrates with everything else.

What gets me is that their boxes would be complete if these customers lived in South Tampa rather than the Midwest. They'd probably pay less too considering Charter's prices are over the top... But what provider doesn't enjoy gouging their beloved customers?

Use Charter for broadband and satellite for TV maybe? Or use a family member's account info that have a different Tv provider??? HBO has said they really don't mind subscribers sharing HBOgo

cyberbiker6

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2014
It is apparent that Charter throttles Apple TV. Our service is for download speeds up to 60 megs, yet, CNN, Bloomberg and CNBC are constantly freezing for 20 seconds or longer on my Apple TV 3Gen RevA. When I pull out my iPhone and do a wifi speed test as the freezes occur, it shows speeds of 15 to 40 megs.

Charter is jerking us around in a match between communications titans - and we are the soccer ball.

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2010
It is apparent that Charter throttles Apple TV. Our service is for download speeds up to 60 megs, yet, CNN, Bloomberg and CNBC are constantly freezing for 20 seconds or longer on my Apple TV 3Gen RevA. When I pull out my iPhone and do a wifi speed test as the freezes occur, it shows speeds of 15 to 40 megs.

Charter is jerking us around in a match between communications titans - and we are the soccer ball.
15-20mbps should still be PLENTY fast to stream tv. Something else is bottlenecking

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.