Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LeicaM8

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
West Michigan
Hello,
We're finally starting to use Home Sharing via wi-fi for the GF & I to access our content and while it's eventually streaming just fine, I do wonder:
Is it Normal for the Video App to take a long time to load the HomeSharing Library?

It's taking between 5 and 15 minutes to load and appears to get worse with each addition to our Video Library in iTunes. I'm accessing via an iPad3, she's on an iPad2, and the Library is on a MacPro running ML connected to the router via ethernet cable. Only traffic on the router is her and I's iPads.
Thx in Advance,
Richard in Michigan

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
I've noticed this as well with iOS 6 and I only have 25 movies and 155 TV shows in my current library. Sometimes it loads semi-fast while other times it's incredibly slow. I don't remember it being this slow with iOS 5.

LeicaM8

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
West Michigan
I've noticed this as well with iOS 6 and I only have 25 movies and 155 TV shows in my current library. Sometimes it loads semi-fast while other times it's incredibly slow. I don't remember it being this slow with iOS 5.

I really do wonder what the issue is though.
I've just started using it, but it is 'just' annoying enough to make me NOT want to use Home Sharing in spite of how appealing I find it to be.

Hope it gets fixed soon.
Maybe it's a feature Apple and/or content providers want to whither and die so folks use streaming video to sell ads, subscriptions, or run up Data Usage Charges!
Sigh
R. in Mi.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
I really do wonder what the issue is though.
I've just started using it, but it is 'just' annoying enough to make me NOT want to use Home Sharing in spite of how appealing I find it to be.

Hope it gets fixed soon.
Maybe it's a feature Apple and/or content providers want to whither and die so folks use streaming video to sell ads, subscriptions, or run up Data Usage Charges!
Sigh
R. in Mi.

Not at all. Since Home Sharing requires you to be on the same network as your iTunes library, you can't access it from a cellular connection. On top of that, Home Sharing is for content you already own, so subscriptions and ads don't play a part here.

I think it's just one of those things that got messed up with iOS 6 and I'd assume a fix is on the way. It's not like it's completely broken, it does still work.

LeicaM8

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
West Michigan
Thx for the encouraging thoughts that Homesharing will eventually work well, someday, maybe soooooon! :D
I think it really is the perfect thing for my GF and/or myself to easily access our content via our iPads. We have a vidbox on the TV, but not via wi-fi so network traffic is minimized. Old Fashioned Sneaker Net with Big USB HDs.
Richard

Not at all. Since Home Sharing requires you to be on the same network as your iTunes library, you can't access it from a cellular connection. On top of that, Home Sharing is for content you already own, so subscriptions and ads don't play a part here.

I think it's just one of those things that got messed up with iOS 6 and I'd assume a fix is on the way. It's not like it's completely broken, it does still work.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
Thx for the encouraging thoughts that Homesharing will eventually work well, someday, maybe soooooon! :D
I think it really is the perfect thing for my GF and/or myself to easily access our content via our iPads. We have a vidbox on the TV, but not via wi-fi so network traffic is minimized. Old Fashioned Sneaker Net with Big USB HDs.
Richard
Any luck with getting it to work since the OP? I'm in the same boat very frustrating. :(

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Any luck with getting it to work since the OP? I'm in the same boat very frustrating. :(

Looks like it's still not fixed even in iOS 8. Since I bought an Apple TV I recently converted all my movies to MP4 and loaded them into iTunes. The Apple tv can access them rather quickly but now home sharing on the iPad ans iPhone is extremely slow, taking almost 15-20 minutes to load up the library.

skyhawkmatthew

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2007
Australia
Looks like it's still not fixed even in iOS 8. Since I bought an Apple TV I recently converted all my movies to MP4 and loaded them into iTunes. The Apple tv can access them rather quickly but now home sharing on the iPad ans iPhone is extremely slow, taking almost 15-20 minutes to load up the library.

Yep, still broken. I have 1.5 TB of video in iTunes and I occasionally try loading home sharing on the iPad and always give up before it's even a quarter done 'loading'.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010

Yep, still broken. I have 1.5 TB of video in iTunes and I occasionally try loading home sharing on the iPad and always give up before it's even a quarter done 'loading'.

Inexcusable. :(

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
I have a large 3tb library, and while the apple tv 3 has no problems, it takes forever for the iPad as well. I keep hoping each IOS update changes this, but it still is very, very slow.

smitt

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2015
It's been broken for me since iOS 6, which is why I went with Plex Media Server + Plex iOS app combination. Little to no initial buffer, plus the benefit of expansive format compatibility and remote WAN viewing.

Last edited:

bergert

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2008
large library-HomeSharing hangs

have about 250 movies bought on iTunes; plus about 5000 others (my VHS and DVD collection converted to MP4). Dedicated MacMini for iTunes.

iPad mini and iPad and both are not able to connect. The circle (round progress bar) hangs at 50% - if I leave it there for an hour there is a error message. I have two aTV and both can connect without problems.

iPad mini (1st Gen, iOS8.3) = cannot connect; hangs
iPad (1st Gen, iOS 5.0.1) = cannot connect; hangs
aTV (3rd Gen, iOS 7.0.1=latest same as iOS8.0.1) = no problems

filed a bug report with apple (no reply as usual)

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
have about 250 movies bought on iTunes; plus about 5000 others (my VHS and DVD collection converted to MP4). Dedicated MacMini for iTunes.

iPad mini and iPad and both are not able to connect. The circle (round progress bar) hangs at 50% - if I leave it there for an hour there is a error message. I have two aTV and both can connect without problems.

iPad mini (1st Gen, iOS8.3) = cannot connect; hangs
iPad (1st Gen, iOS 5.0.1) = cannot connect; hangs
aTV (3rd Gen, iOS 7.0.1=latest same as iOS8.0.1) = no problems

filed a bug report with apple (no reply as usual)

Happen to me too. It loaded very fast when I first got iPad Air 2 but now extremely slow with iOS 8.3 but re-signed in fixed it.

syltrem

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2013
Same thing here. IOS 8.4
At first I thought it would be cool, as I just bought an Apple TV (actually to stream music to my HiFi system) but although the ATV has no problem loading the video library as other have said, it's very very very slow on the iPhone (around 5 minutesfor me).

So far I only have about 50 videos in the library as Apple does not support MPEG-2 (most of my stuff is ripped DVDs). I don't feel like converting all to MP4 which is more lossy I read.

JohnnyW2K1

Suspended
Jan 27, 2016
London, UK
Same thing here. IOS 8.4
At first I thought it would be cool, as I just bought an Apple TV (actually to stream music to my HiFi system) but although the ATV has no problem loading the video library as other have said, it's very very very slow on the iPhone (around 5 minutesfor me).

So far I only have about 50 videos in the library as Apple does not support MPEG-2 (most of my stuff is ripped DVDs). I don't feel like converting all to MP4 which is more lossy I read.

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread. Google brought me here. I'm having the exact same issue. My Apple TV 3 is pretty quick at loading my home library, but for my iPad 3 it literally takes five minutes.

How can this still be? Why hasn't it been fixed in all this time? :(

darksavior

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2013
I'll post as well. I just got a new ipad and updated to 11.1. No change after all these years. I only want to stream music, and it always takes its sweet time to load my library. Then once it does load it, some songs will play, some won't. I've done what others have done: I switched to plex to do it. Almost instant library, and everything seems to play good so far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.