Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sethypoo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 8, 2003
Sacramento, CA, USA

Forbes reports on an interesting service called Stanford on iTunes (http://itunes.stanford.edu/) which made its debut in October 2005.In an unprecedented move, Stanford University is collaborating with Apple Computer to allow public access a wide range of lectures, speeches, debates and other university content through iTunes.
There are presently 500 tracks available for free to all iTunes users. The Stanford iTunes section is only available from a direct link on the Stanford iTunes site.

Of interest to Mac users, they have recently added the full video (iTunes Link) of the Steve Jobs 2005 Commencement Speech at Stanford. A transcript of the speech was previously posted in June 2005.

The Stanford service appears to be a part of a larger initiative by Apple called iTunes U. The service from Apple offers universities the ability to deliver educational content for free.
Its the most powerful way to manage a broad range of audio or video content and make it available quickly and easily to students, faculty, and staff.

Article Link: Stanford on iTunes, Jobs' 2005 Commencement Video

Last edited by a moderator:

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
As it stands right now, I can download lectures as a non-stanford student. I wonder what the tuition-paying students feel about this...

SeRgIo_42

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2004
How do we find such thiings ?

Hi,

Without this link, it would be impossible to discover such
thing through iTunes. Does anyone know how can
we browse this kind of files ? (lectures, speeches, for example).

I mean, try to type "stanford" or even "dalai lama + stanford"
in the search field. There are no results.

:)

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
Macmaniac said:
They have Steve Jobs Commencement Address on VIDEO!!

Downloading now;) Thank you freeness:)

I saw the same thing, downloading now, along with the Dalai Lama speeches. Free education is lovely.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
SeRgIo_42 said:
Hi,

Without this link, it would be impossible to discover such
thing through iTunes. Does anyone know how can
we browse this kind of files ? (lectures, speeches, for example).

I mean, try to type "stanford" or even "dalai lama + stanford"
in the search field. There are no results.

:)

Click on the link in the original post and you'll see a link sending you to the iTunes page.

gwangung

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
pdpfilms said:
As it stands right now, I can download lectures as a non-stanford student. I wonder what the tuition-paying students feel about this...

As an alum, I'd say "meh"

The real value of a Snodfart education is the education outside the classroom, the interaction and connections you make with other students and the relationships you have with your professors.

Of course, the really cool thing I thought about this is all the free music from the artists in residences and student groups....

Thanatoast

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2002
Denver
I really hope someone doesn't freak out and shut it all down.

Just listening to guest speakers would be awesome, I'm assuming Stanford draws some pretty big names.

If I were an alum, I'd be proud to have my school do something of this sort. Posting on iTunes for the convenience of the students is a great idea, but keeping it free is above and beyond the call of duty. What a great opportunity. :cool:

In fact, I'm going to write my school right now and mention this program and encourage them to follow in its footsteps.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Stanford has had this stuff free for the public for months.

But I didn't know until reading this article that other universities have similar programs with Apple on iTunes--just closed to the public generally.

artistry

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2003
Brighton, UK
Blimey, this is old news!

This was news last year - where's everyone been? ;)

Stanford is engaging in its public duty to disseminate knowledge, and these lectures aren't the property of fee-paying students but of the intitution and their contributors (the speakers).

Most unis do public lectures, and academics' papers are published in journals and the internet (like one of mine: http://www.jonathanbaldwin.co.uk/assets/AbandoningHistory.pdf). It's called research, and it's what universities spend most of their time and money on.

See http://www.apple.com/education/solutions/itunes_u/ for details of the 'iTunes U' service. I'm hoping to make use of it in my institution soon

tk421

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2005
Los Angeles
nagromme said:
Stanford has had this stuff free for the public for months.

But I didn't know until reading this article that other universities have similar programs with Apple on iTunes--just closed to the public generally.

What other universities have iTunes programs? I wish mine would.

iDM

macrumors 6502a
Regardless of how long this has been out as others have posted. This is such an amazing and cool idea. I would never have known about this had this article not been posted on MacRumors so even though it might be old news for some I glad it was posted.

P.S. I am still wondering what was meant when the 500 free songs comment said. Where are they?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.