Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sk3pt1c

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
a simulacrum
hi there,

i need to access my university's database and see my tables that i created in a lab exercise we had. we're learning sql and we created some basic tables today.i just finished installing postgreSQL, which is what we'll be using for the rest of the semester,but i don't know what command i should use to try to connect to their server
i tried doing

ssh <server name>

but it asked for a password and when i entered it i got denied entry

am i using the right command or not?

thegreatunknown

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2006
for help type "man <command>" in your command line... for example "man ssh" will give you details about how to use it.

the most probable answer for your problem is that you are logging into a secured server meaning you need a log in name and password. by default ssh uses whatever the account name is on the computer you are signing in from as your log in name. so an easy way to use a different log in name is:

ssh login@servername

it will ask for you password and you just type it in.

hope this helps.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
That should get you to the server where your files exist but it won't likely access the database.

You might try this documentation to get to know more about what the database server does and how to access it.

lexfuzo

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2005
The heart of Europe
sk3pt1c said:
hi there,

i need to access my university's database and see my tables that i created in a lab exercise we had. we're learning sql and we created some basic tables today.i just finished installing postgreSQL, which is what we'll be using for the rest of the semester,but i don't know what command i should use to try to connect to their server
i tried doing

ssh <server name>

but it asked for a password and when i entered it i got denied entry

am i using the right command or not?

Use psql (command-line). It is part of the PostgreSQL installation.
`man psql` will help you.
You can use it to access your local DB or a remote one if the remote allows that.
If you manage to login on the remote server with ssh you can use psql there. Note that the passswords for login and database access may be different.

You could take a look at pgadmin3, too:
http://www.pgadmin.org

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.