Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sossity

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 12, 2010
I recently bought a 2013 retina macbook pro 15 inch, and was planning on selling my mid 2010 non retina macbook pro 15 inch with a matt screen.

however, upon opening adobe indesign cs6 on my retina, all the text is very blurry, looks bad. I read that adobe does not offer an update to indesign for retina screens, so I am left with blurry text. I managed to update my other cs6 design premium apps, except indesign and acrobat pro. indesign has gone to CC for retina support. I dont like being forced to subscribe.

Now I am undecided, should I keep my older non retina macbook pro for indesign to look ok? I was going to try to sell it on ebay to get some money back from the retina macbook pro.

does anybody know of any workarounds to get cs6 indesign to look ok on a retina?

chaosbunny

macrumors 68020
What kind of mode do you use with the retina screen? At the "best for retina" setting the text is really awful. If you use the 1680x1050 or 1920x1200 screen mode, which is better anyway because you get more screen space, the blur becomes less noticeable from a normal viewing distance.

Sossity

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 12, 2010
yes, I was looking at with the default setting, I found an app called swith res, and tried this, it lokked better.

should I hang on to my older laptop? or sell it?

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2012
Try updating InDesign to the Creative Cloud version, that should fix any Retina issues.

chaosbunny

macrumors 68020
yes, I was looking at with the default setting, I found an app called swith res, and tried this, it lokked better.

If it looks more or less ok now on the new one which obviously is faster too and there is no reason to keep the old one (backup machine, maybe good for a family member, ...) why not sell it?

Only you can decide if you can work with the retina and InDesign CS6 now. Maybe try it for 2-3 weeks and if you never feel the need to touch the old book in that period sell it?

Try updating InDesign to the Creative Cloud version, that should fix any Retina issues.

Yes, and it's only about € 700,-/year! :eek:

heehee

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2006
Same country as Santa Claus

CS5 looks perfectly fine on my 15 rMBP.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-03-19 at 1.01.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-03-19 at 1.01.33 PM.png
    378.2 KB · Views: 752

Paolo T

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2015
I had to buy a new MacBook today, and I was very worried by what I read about InDesign CS6 being blurry and unusable on the new Retina displays. So I insisted with the shop to let me try it. What I found is that InDesign works at the same, old low resolution, and this may make it look blurry next to the new high-resolution apps. But it is the same old InDesign. If it worked, it will continue to work.

Here is my test on a MacBook Pro 13" (2015), at the native Retina resolution (the image will open at Retina resolution, so I guess you should reduce it to 50% to see how it looks on the display):

cs6-retina.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.