Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
This is going to be GREAT to tell my pc friends. What do they mean within the file? ID3 or somewhere else?

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
Originally posted by Megaquad
Like mac users dont do that..:rolleyes:

No pity for the devil.

We can only hope that hackers find a way to infect mp3's so that they hurt the mac platform as well.

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
Originally posted by cr2sh

No pity for the devil.

We can only hope that hackers find a way to infect mp3's so that they hurt the mac platform as well.

Ok, so 99 % of computer users are EVIL.. LOL
Sorry, but this discussion is completley pointless.
Copy kills music, it is said. In fact, it doesn´t kill music, it just kills off the (too) big studios´profits.
They have been making unbeievable money during the 90ies especially. Time to tone it down a little.

Why should I shop for CDs if I can get a DVD meanwhile for the same price??
Sorry, this is a bit offtopic...

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
Originally posted by Stike
Ok, so 99 % of computer users are EVIL.. LOL
Sorry, but this discussion is completley pointless.
Copy kills music, it is said. In fact, it doesn´t kill music, it just kills off the (too) big studios´profits.
They have been making unbeievable money during the 90ies especially. Time to tone it down a little.

If you feel the discussion is pointless, please don't post your 'facts.'

You're right.. everyone steals music, it must be okay. :rolleyes:

'They made too much money off of music that I like.. it's my right to take from them as I see fit.' That's total bull****. I'm not sure where you get your 'facts' but there are lots of artists who are getting raped by Peer-to-Peer networks. With pro-audio recording equiptment getting cheaper, home studio production is on the rise, so more people are getting raped by it.

I love the your justification that its okay to steal because they're making money by producing something that you like. Can I go knock over a mac store because they've been making 'too big' profits?

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
Personally speaking when the Christmas number one in the UK is some "made on TV" girl band with a double A side of a song from a boy band that was number one sometime in the 90's and the hillariously ironic cover of 'sound of the underground' I think the labels SHOULD be losing money!

ANYTHING that destroys the profits of the labels that churn out this stuff is a good thing. Just make sure you support the artists that DESERVE to be there by buying their CDs and not just downloading the odd track. If a CD turns out to crap, you've not lost any money, if it's good, why would you miss the £12 - £15 it costs to buy the original if the mp3s prove it's worth buying ?

I object to spending the same on a CD from Linkin Park that's 30 something minutes long as I would on a CD from other artists that has not only more tracks but the album is pushing past the 70 minute mark. I object but I still paid for them.

If this security flaw really could be exploited by the RIAA doesn't that make them criminals too ?

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
Originally posted by barkmonster
...I think the labels SHOULD be losing money!

ANYTHING that destroys the profits of the labels that churn out this stuff is a good thing. Just make sure you support the artists that DESERVE to be there by buying their CDs and not just downloading the odd track.

I couldn´t have said it better. Just what I wanted to make clear - the commercialization of music has taken absurd paths, in some ways it is time to go back to the roots.
Still I buy products of artists who deserve it, and deserve the definition "artist". DVDs preferably, you get the video and the audio for alost the same price...

If this security flaw really could be exploited by the RIAA doesn't that make them criminals too ?

Sure, any use of that leak to break into a persons computer in any way is criminal. I wonder when you can designate M$ as criminal in their actions...

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
Originally posted by cr2sh

No pity for the devil.

:rolleyes:

ignore list.

Flickta

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2002
Born in USSR
Well, going far away off topic. It is easier to buy a pirated CD here, than a licensed one. (and the price... 1/10) Still, people buy them (me too.) and will continue buying, because they really like some music. And RIAA & co, they'll surely find the way out. Patrols and immediate executions or something...

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Is listening to the radio wrong? Is watching MTV (at least when they actually play music)? Then why is it wrong to download a song you want to listen to a couple of times? I've bought hundreds of CDs and cassettes over the years. Some of them for one or 2 songs. Then they sit on the shelf collecting dust.

You know it's not illegal to make someone a compilation cassette of songs you like. Your not selling it to them. THAT"S illegal. When I want a song, but have to pay $15-$21 to listen to it, that's outrageous. Especially when the artist is making pennies from it. I could buy the single, but that's even worse. $6 for a song I've heard on the radio a million times, and some B-side crap.

And my computers are my CD players. They have better speakers. My home CD player won't even play a lot of this stuff that's put out with copy protection, and I rarely use it. But I don't want my PC to freak out because someone has decided I can't listen to their music on what I want to use. So what do I do? I download the song from someone who broke the copy protection.

Or just played it in a regular CD player, and hooked it up to the line in on their PC.

I'm not saying stealing music is right. And definitely selling bootlegs is wrong. But to listen to a song for awhile, then to just let it sit there taking up hard drive space. Or to download something live or rare, or that you could hear on the radio all the time, don't call me a thief. The Record Companies are thieves. I'm not stealing music to sell it and take the $$$ from the artist. If I'm going to buy a CD, I will.

Someone's got to buy the CD in the first place to put it out there.

-

Generalizing is always wrong. :p

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
::::: Raises a cup to solvs::::

here here.

Just watch, pretty soon people will be arrested for cussing around
a minor, while someone else is busted for thinking about showing
pity for him :rolleyes: ;) .

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
If you're fine with what you're doing then please, continue to do so - but don't try to justify it through comparison or judgements of who the 'real' theif is.

Enjoy your music.

Flickta

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2002
Born in USSR
I wish...

Originally posted by solvs
And no, you've never heard of me.

Is it possible to listen to your songs? Where? I am sure, people from the Mac community would eagerly help you and actually steal some. :)

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
I'm not even sure if I have anything recorded. I did some stuff on my own awhile back, but I have no idea where it is (I'm packing, finally moving). Do a lot of live stuff, especially locally (small town). Was gonna try the Pro stuff, but... it's a long story.

"My fiancee` left me, I got real sick, I lost my job, and my car went to shi..." (not that I'd ever do a song this bad).

It is too bad I don't sing country. Or the blues. They'd be perfect. You probably won't hear of me though, at least any time soon, until my voice heals. Almost did that American Idol thing. Kinda glad I didn't. Thank you for the interest though, made my day.

If I find something, I'll post a link to one of my web pages.

Still, no performance will beat the time I sang "Let Me Rest In Peace" from Buffy to my ex-stalker... er, girlfriend.

Classic.

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
Is listening to the radio wrong? Is watching MTV (at least when they actually play music)? Then why is it wrong to download a song you want to listen to a couple of times? I've bought hundreds of CDs and cassettes over the years. Some of them for one or 2 songs. Then they sit on the shelf collecting dust.
Stealing is wrong. Stealing CD's and MP3's is also wrong. But I really don't think the music industry is looking at it right. Firstly, music has ALWAYS been stolen. I'm in my 40's and even back when the technology sucked we copied songs to cassette. The record industry, like a lot of companies and even our government, have no visionaries. They pump untold millions into litigation and anti-piracy plans, and never look at re-inventing anything. They have an opportunity, and just take the easiest way out that preserves their ungodly profits. Profits, I remind you, go mostly to them and not the artists. Making money is fine, but an old Buddhist saying goes "Never make money at the expense of others". They do, therefore I occasionally grab a song off LimeWire. Am I wrong to do this? Yes. Are PC users deserving of what they get? Yes? Will it stop? Not unless some big corporations re-think the problem through. Like Goerge Bush and the GOP wanting war to preserve our life-blood instead of developing plans for a national push for alternative energy, the record industry will sink in it's own greed.

Flickta

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2002
Born in USSR
Thank you for the interest though, made my day.

Never mind. Ah, incidentally, did you know about MP3.com? You can upload your art (about car, job and all the other stuff... ) there. But to become popular you should be more alternative. No blues! Make something loud and unpleasant for the ear, and you will see! :)

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
I didn't know that, haven't been to MP3.com in years. I did find an old clip I sent to a girl I liked. Fixed it up and posted it to one of my sites:

http://home.bak.rr.com/winterchambers/erik.mp3

I don't sound that great (think I had a cold, or allergies, or something), but she liked it. I think I added the music later (as per the pauses). You should hear me sing "With Or Without You". Especially when I'm depressed. I'd do my own stuff, but most of it sucks. That, and I'm not speaking to my former guitar player.

Ah well, I'll finally be in Tacoma soon.

If you like hard stuff, you should hear me blow my voice out on "Tainted Love". Especially if I'm angry.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.