Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SrWebDeveloper

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 7, 2007
Alexandria, VA, USA
WEB DEVELOPMENT & DESIGN LINKS

Below are helpful links related to the world of web development and design for all skill levels.

HTML/XHTML

Introduction to HTML (w3schools)
Introduction to XHTML (w3schools)
HTML vs. XHTML (w3schools)
Choosing a DOCTYPE
Validating a web page

CSS

Introduction to CSS (w3schools)
ID vs. CLASS
Basic CSS Layout
CSS Positioning (Absolute/Relative)
CSS Float, Clear and Multi-Column Layout Examples
CSS Vertical Alignment
CSS Horizontal Alignment
MSIE Conditionals (aka CSS Hacks but legal!)
Validating CSS
Master Reset CSS Stylesheet (save as reset.css, link it first, fixes many known browser quirks)
Why CSS layout will make you money vs. tabular layout (opinion, interesting reading)

FONT EMBEDDING

Font Embedding Techniques and Browser Support Issues
Font Embedding Example for MSIE (Weft, *.EOT, @FONT-FACE in CSS)

JAVASCRIPT

Introduction to Javascript (w3schools)
Basic form validation (w3schools)
DHTML Tutorial (Dynamic HTML which combines HTML, JavaScript, DOM, and CSS) (w3schools)
Basic Javascript Image Rollovers and Image Pre-Loading
Over 300 Javascript Tutorials (from Ajax to Windows and Frames, alphabetized)
Javascript Libraries (Full libraries i.e. JQuery, Mootools, Lightbox2, Prototype, AJS plus effects and tools)
Learn Advanced Javascript Programming (Shiran methodologies)
Keyboard and Mouse Button Event Handling Overview (i.e. onMouseOver, onKeyPress, etc.)
Excellent Javascript Tutorial - organized into lessons (thanks to olup)

PRIVACY POLICY (P3P)

Every site should have a valid privacy policy like this one linked in their footer or somewhere visible on the web page.
To establish a policy users may view in their browsers, create a P3P (Platform for Privacy Preferences Project) compliant policy you upload to your web site.

P3P tutorial (links on the right for implementation and deployment)
Download the FREE policy maker here (Java, runs on any platform, validates on the fly)

SEO: SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMIZATION

Google's SEO Tips
Recommendations and Guidelines (Detailed)
Top 10 SEO Tips

PHP

PHP Beginners's Tutorial from Zend, i.e. PHP 101 (excellent)
PHP.net (the place to go to research functions, download PHP, seek help)
How to setup PHP on Apache (Various platforms, also see MAMP below for Mac)
How to setup PHP and MySQL (Various Platforms, also see MAMP below for Mac)
Object Oriented Programming (OOP/classes) in PHP
PHP Classes Shareware/Freeware repository (#1 site to download PHP classes - OOP)
PHP 4 vs. PHP 5
PHP Top 10 Programming Tips (Advanced)
PHP and SQL Injection Prevention and Programming Tips
PHP and Regular Expressions
Compile your PHP source for FREE (bet you didn't know this was even possible)
PHP for Enterprise Level sites and architecture (video, opinion)
PHP Knowledge Base (excellent)

MYSQL

Download MAMP on a Mac (MySQL, Apache, PHP all at once with desktop GUI - Excellent)
Download MySQL Community version natively on a Mac (downloadable .DMG for Mac OS X 10.5 or later, Note: MAMP is preferred by most users)
MySQL basic tutorial - for beginners (Learn about SQL, MySQL and all the basics)
MySQL/PHP tutorial with example code (how to use PHP functions for MySQL queries)
Download phpMyAdmin - Web based management of MySQL
Download Sequel Pro for Mac - Desktop GUI based management of MySQL for Mac
MySQL Server FAQs (detailed as to why you should use MySQL server and how)

REGULAR EXPRESSIONS HELP

Tutorials and help on regular expressions (premier web site)
Testing tool for regular expressions (web site, highly suggested during development)
How to strip all HTML tags (spans multiple lines and any sort attributes, example is for PHP)
How to validate an E-Mail address (various examples, suggestions, RFC-2822 compliancy)

HELP FOR COMMON IWEB ISSUES

To add a text hyperlink, type it in and highlight. Use the Link Inspector to convert selected text into a hyperlink. Click Inspector in the toolbar, and then click the Link Inspector button. In the Link Inspector, select "Enable as a hyperlink," and then choose an option from the Link To pop-up menu.

To add HTML on your page don't just type it in. If you’re in iWeb ’09, drag the HTML Snippet from the Media pane into place on your web page. If you’re in iWeb ’08, you’ll use the Insert menu, Insert -> HTML Snippet. For versions prior to that, export HTML edit manually, but you'll need to do this each site change (stupid), or use a third party add-on like web enhancer which isn't free, is bloatware (more stupid), and is of course unnecessary if you're using any recent version. Recent iWeb allows more standard developer tools than in the past, but remember - iWeb is not intended for dynamic site development with database, server side scripting, etc. Just remember what it's used for - we here on the forum always say stuff like this, it's almost a default answer.

BTW, if the PayPal button is an image you have and wish to insert and hyperlink it, then insert the PayPal button graphic then select it on your page by clicking on it. Then, look in the Inspector under the Link button and you will see how to enable as a hyperlink. You then enter the html code from PayPal there and it links the button graphic to PayPal's site.

HOW TO DETERMINE HOURLY/SALARY RATE FOR WEB DESIGNER/DEVELOPER JOBS

As to rate, according to Salary.com the national average for "web designer" is $58k per year. From this you can loosely extrapolate, using a 40 hour work week, that the average national hourly rate for web design is between $27-30. However, don't tell the client that just yet! This number can vary greatly depending on these critical factors:

• Job Title
  • Skill Level (Junior, Senior)
  • Region (oh so important, your location)

Not to mention if you're going to theme, create modules in an open source CMS, do server side/web hosting/DNS setup, design from scratch, database implementation, initial content entry, session/login, SEO, etc. I mean, just changing "designer" to "developer" (i.e. back end coding/database involved on a dynamic site) increases the average national base salary to $75k without any of the above factors taken into consideration.

So this can get real confusing, fast.

My advice is to visit this page: http://www.indeed.com/salary?q1=Web+Designer&l1=

But --- add in your location at minimum, also try correcting the job title and by adding keywords that best describe what you're going to actually do and use that to create a sensible range. Go towards the lower half for simple static web pages, middle if a simply using open source CMS, higher if doing back end work, database, on top of all that. Get the idea?

For comparison, do the same on your local Craig's List just to see how others are charging, but only use it (like Salary.com findings) as one source, not THE source. Just like the advice offered here as one source.

There is no perfect number, and without knowing your direct experience or tasks involved, alwats include some wiggle room in your rate to account for mistakes, but keep within the overall range as I noted above if you "need" to be competitive. The purpose of my reply is NOT to act as a numbers guide nor is it intended for DIY's or one-timers who want fast and easy money and could care less about reputation ("need"). So this is a "professional" oriented response even for novices doing their first or only gig. This is also so many more may come your way as you start your portfolio -- by doing it "right".

[source excerpt: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1589369/ Jim Goldbloom]
Please do not comment on this in this topic, visit the above link or start a new topic, thank you.

UPDATING POLICY / ATTN MODERATORS, IT'S OKAY TO CLOSE THIS TOPIC IF OPEN - THANK YOU
This topic is no longer maintained on a regular basis but serves as an excellent basic repository for PHP/developer novices and gurus alike who might find these links useful.
If information presented here is inaccurate or out of date please contact the moderator to update. Requests to add new content is at the discretion of the moderators.
Special thanks to moderator xUKHCx for setting this topic as sticky for us.

Last edited:

Khloe

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2013
Thank you SrWebDeveloper, Im just getting into web design myself and this has been a great resource.

I can also contribute to this thread with a couple very good free font sites:
Dafont
Fonts Addict

2nd site you can actually type the text you want and change the background and text colors to preview the font you like, very useful!

Khloe

Reactions: techtuneit

abnerhawkins

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2014
The above links are quite helpful especially for the newbies. It includes all the necessary information which anybody could get from other places.

BlabBen

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2014
Malta
Code Academy

Hi Guys,

Great post. I used this website a while back to learn a language and it was great, search for "Code Academy" in Google. That's a great site !

maggie colnett

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2015
Hi,
Great:).Thanks for sharing the good information related to web design and development.It is really helpful for web developer and everyone.

lincolnboland

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2017
New Zealand
Hello,

There are some tool which I mention here, help you alot in web designing:

1. Browser Calories
  2. Firebug
  3. HTML Entity Character Lookup
  4. -prefix-free

tudan

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2017
Thanks for sharing.
Anyway, is there a proper service for website development?

Juan Preuyt

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2017
South africa
Crazy how so much of this web design resources information is still relevant today , i would love to see an updated list of this , i do keep a similar page on my pc ( bookmarks ) .

Codepen/php fiddle is a great tool ( if you dont have a local development enviroment .
bootstrap snippets if you want to be lazy and work smart.
stack overflow for coding problems you are struggling with.
of course you need css and js minify pages ( if your worpress site isnt doing that )
Tiny png is a great tool for image optimisation
Gt metric , pingdom and website speed test .org
Caniuse
is another great site that checks css compatibility against almost all tools .
Firebug ofcourse.
Xammp or wamp depending on your os is essential.

I am not ussually one for paid services call me a cheapscate but in my infacy as a programmer udemy was really good, learnphp.org is also ok and a really great resource for php specifically probably the most important.

PHP The Right Way is a must to keep up with php.

Php.net gives a great library for reference

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.