Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pyromaniac777

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2015
So I've been wanting an Ipod or Ipod-like device for some time. So I've actually been looking into getting a prepaid Moto G instead of getting an Ipod. I only want do normal things on it like facebook, non-game apps, listening to music, etc. So I figured that this device would be fine for those. Here is a deal on ebay that I've been looking at. http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Motorol...590?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4192a979fe

Would I be able to still download apps and just use it as an ipod if I don't buy service for it?

Thanks

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
As an owner of the 1st gen Moto G, just be aware that it doesn't support aptX, if that matters, and that sound quality is pretty poor; i.e. even worse than the mediocre iPods and iPhones.
Apart from that, $59 is a bargain for what you get there.

I also have the Lumia 520, which theatremusician linked to. That has even worse sound than the Moto G but is a very likeable cheapie. Given the minimal price difference, the Moto G is a no-brainer unless you cannot stand Android.

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
I feel your pain but the cheapest alternative currently to an ipod touch 5 is an iphone 6 16GB period. That's the new Apple´s game.

Maybe an ipad 3 mini but bear in mind the processor included on it is 1 year old already. Not worth it.

Pyromaniac777

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2015
I feel your pain but the cheapest alternative currently to an ipod touch 5 is an iphone 6 16GB period. That's the new Apple´s game.

Maybe an ipad 3 mini but bear in mind the processor included on it is 1 year old already. Not worth it.

Aren't those only cheaper when on contract? I don't want a contract. I'll probably just go with the Moto G prepaid phone. it seems great for my needs.

PCsmooth

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2014
I have spoken about this a few times and I simply keep thinking, why are there actually no rivals to the iPod touch?

I presume there simply is no marketplace out there; most folks need a smartphone, and simply a smartphone.

I might purchase one but I actually do not need some low-cost thing that gives you a crappy Android encounter. I really could purchase a cellphone so it would need to be inexpensive off contract, but I do not desire a contract.

Since I feel overly ignorant about it, I only really have to experience Android. It likely will not replace iOS for me but I still need to get an idea on what this phone can do for me. However I simply don't want to spend too much on it.

RoboWarriorSr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2013
As an owner of the 1st gen Moto G, just be aware that it doesn't support aptX, if that matters, and that sound quality is pretty poor; i.e. even worse than the mediocre iPods and iPhones.
Apart from that, $59 is a bargain for what you get there.

I also have the Lumia 520, which theatremusician linked to. That has even worse sound than the Moto G but is a very likeable cheapie. Given the minimal price difference, the Moto G is a no-brainer unless you cannot stand Android.

aptX is a wireless audio protocol which doesn't affect sound quality through headphone jack. Regardless not useful since only high end bluetooth headphones will support this and cost more than the price of the device you're asking (~$200). Actually iPhones and iPods have one of the best audio DAC compared to other mobile devices rivaling $300 DAC. iPhone/iPod range from .8~5 ohms (the 5 ohms was on the 5, other iOS devices range from .8~2.7 ohms) with stereo crosstalk of 72%+ (exception is the iPhone 5 with 65% which is still better than the competition) through the headphone jack. The Motorola G has a stereo crosstalk of 50.4%. The only device that capable of competing with iOS devices is the HTC One though it is hampered by the poor stock music player (I find third party music player similarly bad as well taken everything in consideration) and possibly the LG G2/3 but reports have said the sound quality heard does not match what's being benchmarked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.