Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
How big is Cupertino? Not that big, yes? So traversing it by car can't be more than a fraction of the time it takes to travel all the way from SF to Cupertino in the same car.

To increase efficiency, you wouldn't cart JUST Jony Ives in his own private car, of course. You'd pack in a busload of people into...well, a bus, and drive all of them at the same time. This cuts down on congestion.

A bus would be most efficient, but that is only if a bus load of Apple employees lived in the same area as Ive AND wanted to travel to and from work at the same time as Ive.

Also, for Ive to commute by train, he needs to first go from his house to the train, then get on the train, then travel from the train to work. This is not going to be faster than taking a car directly from home to work, and might take significantly longer. For you and I, it might not matter, but for a busy man like Ive, I think it does make sense to drive directly from home to work.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
A bus would be most efficient, but that is only if a bus load of Apple employees lived in the same area as Ive AND wanted to travel to and from work at the same time as Ive.

Also, for Ive to commute by train, he needs to first go from his house to the train, then get on the train, then travel from the train to work. This is not going to be faster than taking a car directly from home to work, and might take significantly longer. For you and I, it might not matter, but for a busy man like Ive, I think it does make sense to drive directly from home to work.

Here's the back seat of a Bentley Mulsanne. Looks like the perfect place for an executive to get work done during a commute. And in the New Yorker article Ive said he "reluctantly" got a driver. Not sure what that means; did Apple force him to get a driver? Does he have health issues that require it? Or did he realize too much of his time was unproductive sitting behind the wheel in traffic? I suppose Apple could require he live closer to Cupertino but I doubt Cook ever would.

both-headrests-have-built-in-screens-and-twin-ipads-fold-down-from-the-front-seats-each-has-a-wireless-keyboard.jpg

Seannyb

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2012
Oregon
I keep coming back to this thread hoping to see more "Apple Watches in the Wild" (hence the name of the thread). Yet again its just arguing about something completely off topic.

Maybe start a new thread to argue about the best routes and vehicles to take to and from work :eek:

k3ith

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
New York, NY
Here's a photo from a Hong Kong fashion magazine with the gold version on a man! Looks pretty chic.

Attachments

• B_HHrZVUoAAgmVJ.jpg
    B_HHrZVUoAAgmVJ.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 515

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Here's a photo from a Hong Kong fashion magazine with the gold version on a man! Looks pretty chic.

Except, as with all these photos in these magazines, the screen would be black. Remember that.

Mascots

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
Except, as with all these photos in these magazines, the screen would be black. Remember that.

Or, as people have been suggesting that it is an impossibility for Apple to get raise-to-enable to work, that won't the case. ;)

FlatCable

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2015
Looks like a SS with black sport band.

When are we seeing alternative models from Apple? Maybe designed by Marc Newson?

I think Apple should be making alternative case styles (share the same S1 chip). So we see more variety on people's wrists...

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Looks like a SS with black sport band.

When are we seeing alternative models from Apple? Maybe designed by Marc Newson?

I think Apple should be making alternative case styles (share the same S1 chip). So we see more variety on people's wrists...

I think they've already done a lot for a v1 product that hasn't proven itself yet. If Watch becomes popular I think we'll see more band and case designs down the road.

kdarling

macrumors P6
What will be more interesting to me is how people will be interacting with their Apple Watches around univeristy and in general life.

Prediction: Not long after some professors get one, they'll figure out that it can be used to cheat... especially with the little drawing and tap comms... and soon after that, students will be ordered to remove their watches during exams.

On the other hand, nobody cares if several people in the board room has the same iPad, MacBooks, or iPhones.

If you have the same model and band as someone higher than you in the food chain, that could be seen as either good or bad, depending :)

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007

There is a fleet of Apple buses traveling between SF and Apple HQ every day. If there wasn't already a stop near his house, I'm sure he could arrange to create one. If I've really wanted to take the bus, he could easily do so. Clearly he'd rather not.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
There is a fleet of Apple buses traveling between SF and Apple HQ every day. If there wasn't already a stop near his house, I'm sure he could arrange to create one. If I've really wanted to take the bus, he could easily do so. Clearly he'd rather not.

How many senior executives of Fortune 500 companies are taking a bus to work each day? If he's in his car with a driver he can take calls or be in meetings via phone/video. That's not going to happen on a bus full of people.

KauaiBruce

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2007
Kauai, HI

WOW. When did Apple start the buses? They did not have them in my day. There were just a few vanpool's. Most of their developers work uneven hours so I am surprised they would run buses. Most of the Apple emps lived in South Bay then. I knew a few senior developers who commuted but they drove.

Tom8

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
Prediction: Not long after some professors get one, they'll figure out that it can be used to cheat... especially with the little drawing and tap comms... and soon after that, students will be ordered to remove their watches during exams.

Already happens at my Univeristy. Before the start of every exams when you're read the standard exam conduct script you're told to "remove any smartwatches" and that they'll be treated exactly the same as a mobile phone i.e. cheating, unless they're placed in the plastic bag which goes below your chair.

I usually prop my (mechanic) watch up on the desk, in front of me, so I can easily check the time, so not a problem for me, but universities, in the UK at least, are already very much aware of smartwatches

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Saw this on Instagram. Account was from Allison Speer who I believe is a wealthy SF socialite. Not sure if she actually has a watch or just knows someone at Apple who does.

11055751_1577401105869180_10807968_n.jpg
11049340_1642170609337656_808464694_n.jpg
10387779_1626665174231228_1036672100_n.jpg

Last edited:

jbizzybeetle

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2015
Saw this on Instagram. Account was from Allison Speer who I believe is a wealthy SF socialite. Not sure if she actually has a watch or just knows someone at Apple who does.

11055751_1577401105869180_10807968_n.jpg
11049340_1642170609337656_808464694_n.jpg
10387779_1626665174231228_1036672100_n.jpg

At least two Apple watches in that set. Note sleeve styles in two piks differ. The third I could not see around the watch.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
I'm very interested to see how this all plays out with the guys.

At the moment, guys pick their own watch, perhaps it says something about them, of course, has the look they like, and naturally gives a feeling of individuality, perhaps even notice the different watches the guys have to you.

It's going to be interesting socially to see how men will feel if many of them turn up to a party or business meeting etc etc wearing the same watch.

Normally that's a social/fashion NO NO.

Hey, I have no individual concept of style or what looks good, so I just bought the same as everyone else is wearing.

A social change there, personally speaking I'd NOT wear the Apple watch as I would want to maintain individuality.

Will be interesting to see how this pans out and if they all are proud they have the same watch on as each other, or they actually decide not to wear them as they don't want to be seen with it on. After it becomes popular of course, and they are everywhere.

For a short while of course you will be individual with an Apple Watch.
You really think that much about your watch? Wow......

----------

For me personally I don't care. The Apple watch imo is just a gadget like everything else. It will be my everyday "watch". And if I'm going to dinner or something I'll probably wear one of my other watches. But if someone else happens to have one it wouldn't bother me.

Yeah shouldn't bother most normal people..... Not sure about those that actually care.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
You really think that much about your watch? Wow......

----------

Yeah shouldn't bother most normal people..... Not sure about those that actually care.

The point is, most people do care.
The Apple watch will probably be the easy to spot marker of:

I have no imagination and no individuality so I just bought an Apple watch.

I can see people loving it to begin with, then when they see it everywhere, they will move back away to something more personal to them and less wide mass market.

Nathan20

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2012
found on Instagram

Attachments

• 11095650_1633782200184202_1618103994_n.jpg
    11095650_1633782200184202_1618103994_n.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 410

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008

Which is exactly why, unlike the iPhone, there isn't just one model for everyone.

And going forward, the variety of cases, bands and watchfaces will only increase.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
The point is, most people do care.

Yet ANOTHER apple watch thread where you're posting crap like this. Seriously, what's the deal?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.