Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Bear Stearns speculates that Google will create an iTunes competitor. Google recently entered the Video download market in early January.

"We would expect Google to rollout a Beta service within 3 to 6 months. We note that Google has not confirmed our expectations, and that our thinking is based on Mosaic theory"

alywa

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
I wonder what DRM they will use. It hasn't looked too good for the others with .wma, and without a player I just don't see how even the mighty Google is going to succeed where Yahoo, Napster, Walmart, and MS have struggled.

Is it just me, or does Google seem to lack focus (outside of their core search business)?

-alywa

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
alywa said:
Is it just me, or does Google seem to lack focus (outside of their core search business)?
Random stupid ideas, if they don't cost too much to try, are part of the Google business plan (seriously, that was in their IPO).

[Edit: In their prospectus (that's one seriously long page), they explained the peculiar investment strategy as follows:

Google said:
We will not shy away from high-risk, high-reward projects because of short term earnings pressure. Some of our past bets have gone extraordinarily well, and others have not. Because we recognize the pursuit of such projects as the key to our long term success, we will continue to seek them out. For example, we would fund projects that have a 10% chance of earning a billion dollars over the long term. Do not be surprised if we place smaller bets in areas that seem very speculative or even strange. As the ratio of reward to risk increases, we will accept projects further outside our normal areas, especially when the initial investment is small.

]

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
alywa said:
I wonder what DRM they will use. It hasn't looked too good for the others with .wma, and without a player I just don't see how even the mighty Google is going to succeed where Yahoo, Napster, Walmart, and MS have struggled.

-alywa

Google's video actually uses their own proprietary DRM.

arn

qtip919

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2002
Im really skeptical on this,

Google is great at doing a few things on the web. They have some very compelling products and services. The thing that makes this rediculous is how people constantly forget that it isnt any one thing about iTunes that sets apart the Apple music experience

Vision =

+ Online Music Service
+ Portable Media Player
+ Integrated computing experience

Lets see...

Apple is great at all of those things

Google might do a good job at one, but that doesnt mean squat...just ask Sony or Creative or Microsoft or...etc...etc...etc...or Napster ... hehe

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
They can try what they like, and I'd rather see Apple against a significant competitor (Mac-compatible of course) than Apple alone dominating the market. I'd also rather see that competitor be Google than Microsoft or Real.

But it's just speculation--less than rumor for now.

Super Dave

macrumors 6502
alywa said:

Google are flakes some times. Their search engine and mail are the only worthwhile things they make.

Google Earth looks like someone based the interface around a photograph of their own vomit.

After I saw them design software that bad I realized that their stock is entirely overpriced. The search business is all they have going for them, and it'll be a commodity market one day I suspect.

David:cool:

oldMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Google is doomed in the apps market

If Google has demonstrated anything since going public, it's that they are unfocused and undiciplined when they get their hands on investment money.

Too many directions, half-working ideas, etc.
Their good stuff is stuff they bought.

They look more like MS every day.

They just better hope their cash-cow (search engine profits) hold up long enough for them to get their act together before the shareholders realize how much money they're wasting.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Super Dave said:
Google are flakes some times. Their search engine and mail are the only worthwhile things they make.

Google Earth looks like someone based the interface around a photograph of their own vomit.

After I saw them design software that bad I realized that their stock is entirely overpriced. The search business is all they have going for them, and it'll be a commodity market one day I suspect.

You forgot Google Maps (in the worthwhile list).

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
oldMac said:
If Google has demonstrated anything since going public, it's that they are unfocused and undiciplined when they get their hands on investment money.

Too many directions, half-working ideas, etc.
Their good stuff is stuff they bought.

They look more like MS every day.

They just better hope their cash-cow (search engine profits) hold up long enough for them to get their act together before the shareholders realize how much money they're wasting.

I'm glad there are other people that think the same thing about Google that I do. I'm happy to see competition for Apple, but based on the majority of their work, I'm not expecting anything worthwhile from Google. Google Earth is a very mediocre implementation of a good idea, and one which Google didn't even do, they just bought it. The Google video store is a disaster. I can't quite figure out why everyone loves them so much. Their search is good, and so is GMail, but that's about it. Google maps is OK, but I actually like MSN Virtual Earth better as it lets you zoom in quite a bit farther, at least in my area.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
Wow Google is trying to rip into everything now....search engine, maps, mail, videos, music, operating system/PC.....are they gonna open up a fast food chain next?....i like the search engine and mail.

Bless

Xapplimatic

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2001
California
Google Begongle!

I'm not impressed with Google or its way overinflated begs to be the next .com disaster stock value. As a sellable product, the only thing they have going for them is an alright but starting to get saturated by spam techniques search engine, and a great map system online supported by advertising revenues. Beyond that they bought out KeyHole to make Google Earth, and cool very nice to make a Mac version too now (yes, it is available but buggy) which has some low potential for upsale to deluxe versions.. but frankly with the uncomfortable interface it has with the controls designed by kindergarteners, not up to even the quality of their more simplistic map and satellite map online system although it emulates it in a few ways.

Stock investers in Google should be quite alarmed. What else does Google have to offer in the form of a sellable commodity? No MP3 players. No computers. No offline software packages. No Google OS... Just *SMOKE AND MIRRORS* people. With Google buying all these engineers and talent out from all areas of silicon valley as it's been told many times, where is all that wonderful effort and brainpower being directed? I don't see the fruits of all this engineering investment.. I see doom on the horizon for Google. You couldn't make me invest in Google under gun-point. I wouldn't do it! Now Intel and Apple on the otherhand.. both proven solid long-term growers.... I've invested in Apple, and now I can see that Intel wasn't blowing smoke about their next generation stuff, I'm gonna invest in them too.. They make cents... lol..

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Wow... The backlash has begun... I'd swear this site felt much more pro-Google in the past.

At any rate, I really don't think that Google is going into the music business. Google's got a ton of cash under their mattress and people can't help writing about any wacky idea that comes to mind. I think GM's next. The Google car-- available in any color as long as it's primary.

Frankly I don't think it's ethical to for analysts to talk out of the bums like this. Google is perceived as a threat by everyone because of their available capital- floating ideas based on whimsy should be viewed as market manipulation.

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
This is never gonna work especially if its anything like google video's, google better spend there money improving there other services......

Shadow

Daschund

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2003
New York Citeeeeeeyyyy!
I just wish that Apple would give us a choice of buying full screen (TV full screen, that is) video so that I could buy, burn to a DVD and watch on TV. I don't have a video iPod and would rather have a way of watching it on TV, even if I had to pay a bit more for the full screen...

snowmoon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
Albany, NY
Super Dave said:
I just checked out Google Video.

Wow! Even Microsoft couldn't make something this ugly.

That was my first though as well. It's the ugliest thing I have ever seen*. Between that and the pathetic quality ( I have looked time and time again to see decent video and every one has so many artifacts as to be nearly unwatchable at anything over 320x240 ). I was excited to see how it would stack up to iPod video quality and I can say that iTunes blows away google for quality.

* Ok, ok... it's not as ugly and pathetic as the web browser based on x-emacs that came out in 1995.

kev0476

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2005
Salt Lake City, Ut
Google could never compete because they don't have a music player, that is part of the reason the ipod and itunes do so well because they come in a bundle.

Epicurus

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
Google's whole game plan in this area is to dump a little money in and see what happens. They might have hurt their chances of getting better search access within the iTunes databases by offering a competing service, but they'll probably outlast many of the other stores out there.

Google will probably keep adding free content in addition to the pay stuff, much like the podcasts on iTunes. Having much better search engines will eventually give Google the upperhand (in some respects) since they'll be able to mine their massive libraries better than iTunes. That is, of course, if they massively overhaul their GUI. If they're smart they'll just open up the interface API and let somebody else design it for them. That way someone can make up an "iTunes"-like interface and drop it on top of the Google library without it actually being Google doing it.

I can see a widget coming that does something like that...:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.