Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steveedge

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2005
Atlanta, Georgia
The Piano has been drinking.

I'm Steve Edge
I play guitar (Electric and accoustic) and write some but I do tinker with bass and keyboards in the ole home/office/studio.
I do freelance web and print design (some sound design) for a living, mostly for small business web needs, so I wear a lot of hats.
For my audio stuff, I use Logic Express latley but have used Cubase, Pro Tools, MOTU, and others including apps like soundtrack and Premiere that are attached to Video applications.
I too play with Reason, Garage Band, Ableton, etc.. for hours and once had an early version of Arturia Storm which I thought was a great app.
At the moment I have an M- Audio Firewire Audiophile for I/O a couple of small analog mixers, a cheap midi keyboard that works just peachy and an analog Alesis reverb unit.
It all plugs into a 1.42g Mac Mini for the time being, which replaced my ancient G3 B&W....and it works :) which i am truely happy about. When i bought the mini i didn't know if the slower hard drive would "stand the heat" of audio/video editing but so far so good.
I won't list all my guitars and guitar "junk".
I have a few inexpensive condenser mics that get the job done.
I've been in blues, rock, alt, and roots bands (on and off) in the Atlanta area, along with my wife Cat who is a fine singer, for the last 20 years or so.
I do not pretend to know what I am doing (self taught A-Z) in the relm of audio production, but I get by and hope to learn a trick or two in this forum.
Hello and Regards to everyone,
http://www.steveedgeart.com/jukebox/

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
I'm a retired semi-pro musician now attempting to rebuild my project studio
here in my dungeon.

All my previous pro experience was playing bass in numerous bands since
1969. As the years went by , I picked up enough guitar and keyboarding abiity to produce my own songs solo.

Back in 1993-1994 I put together a low budget project studio using the Tascam 488, Mackie 1604, and some other cheezy gear that got the job done.
I spent more than a year putting together a bunch of songs as a self produced demo, chasing that dream one more time.

As a result of extreme over exposure to sound using headphones, I am now
clinically deaf in one ear with about 50% left in the other side.
Because of my hearing loss, I gave up playing, performing and writing.

So now here I am starting over and attempting to relearn everything I know so I can record in a digital format only now I'm just doing it
to challenge myself.

Once I get past the digital production learning curve, I'm hoping that
I'll still be able to hear what I've done.

louis_sx

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2005
International House of Louis
This is the whole reason I got a Mac in the first place.

First of all, I never finished college...I was a music ed instrumental major, playing clarinet. I spent some time out of college soul-searching for a real place in my life for my music, so by day I do software support and by night I do alot of arranging and composing, it's almost all religious. Most of the digital side of what I do is taking my ideas from staff paper and putting them together using Logic Express and my handy-dandy Yamaha UX-16/PSR-270 combination, then exporting them to MIDI and bring them into Geniesoft ScoreWriter, where I do final notation adjustments, add dynamic markings, expression markings, etc. and then print to PDF for a sort of publish-on-demand method where I can take a PDF anywhere and get it printed.

howesey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2005
Hi all. My name is Simon and I'm from Birmingham.

I'm at the University of Central England in Birmingham at TIC campus studying BSc (Hons.) Sound Engineering and Production. It consists of live engineering, studio engineering, recording, surround sound, music production, electronics, business... And a few other bits. I'm still in my first year which is live sound and MIDI based, next year I will be in the studio.

Quantum Man

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2006
New York
Hi gang I'm Dave and I'm a super senior graduating from college where my concentration was Audio Recording Technology here in New York. I have one more semester to use the school's Pro Tools TDM studio with its plethora of plug-ins and rack equipment. At home I have a lowly MBox and switched to Mac primarily for audio editing work. But now that I have been doing other things on my new Mac, I like it far better than Windows anyhow. :D

Once I get my self situated and my room cleaned up, I'll be able to do small projects at home, I play guitar, piano/synth and sing. I have an iMac G5 as you can see in my sig, and I also hope to one day soon be able to record my church worship band, that I play guitar for, my guess is I'll just tote my iMac and MBox over there. Plus hopefully my church will be upgrading its console from a Mackie to an Allen & Heath, at my suggestion. :D

Upon graduation my hope is to work in a recording studio, where the primary recording medium is Pro Tools TDM based, but they do have 2" tape machines. Besides music, I took a class in AV Post Production and THOROUGHLY enjoyed foley work, ADR, and sound design. My final project was replacing all the sound from a scene from any movie, so we chose the dojo kung-fu fighting scene from The Matrix. It was tons of fun.

Deefuzz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I'm Dan.

I switched about a year ago and love it.

I played a bit of guitar when I was in junior high, and part of high school, but I put it down for many years. Now after getting my own place I have started playing again. I have a few riffs here and there that just pop out that I want to record, but I don't quite have the means yet.

I assume I will attempt to figure out GarageBand shortly.

It's just a hobby, and I'm a newbie to it basically, so I will mainly just lurk in this section as I wont have too much to contribute to many. :D

MidiMacMan

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2005
Denver, Colorado
Give music evolution a chance!!!

Hello out there!!!!
My name is:
artservtop.jpg
A.K.A.
artservlogo.jpg

My website:

Is about more than just music, but if you want to skip to musically focused material, then go here:

I am a composer, artist, and musician, or at least pretending to be such, but I have been heavily interested in GarageBand, and the sequencing of original recordings through digital and analog methods.

I also take a great interest in the history, theory, and technique in music, with reference to the evolution of the human ear, and constant "quest for a different and new sound". While music has identifiable genres, theories, and practical uses in modern situations, it is important I feel to not get hung up on concrete thinking and definite answers to musical questions, and tastes.

Only in having an open mind, and willingness to listen and accept that music which may at first not sound to our immediate favor, thus make way for new sounds and styles which are inevitable traits of the art of music evolution anyway.

While many artists and listeners are quick to judge and ridicule what the hear as different, and dissonant, years from now, or perhaps even weeks away, the ears may reguard the same sonic experience as wonderful, great, innovative, or ingenious.

Give more openeness to music, even if you have to try. You will be surprised what you may hear on the next few listens, as your brain comprehends the sound more and more.

Sincerely,
MidiMacMan
Johnathan J. Stegeman
Composer/Artist/Musician

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Dude, I have an Excedrin headache after viewing all those graphics

faintember

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
the ruins of the Cherokee nation
rdowns said:
Dude, I have an Excedrin headache after viewing all those graphics
And that is why we have alcohol. Now if i could upload a sound file to the board you could listen to my new composition (which may very well make you have an headache, just thinking about how complicated the form has become is giving me a headache as we speak...lol)

For some reason i have the desire to listen to MIDI files............ :p
Welcome Midimacman

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
My eyes... my eyes... I think I'm going blind... :eek:

Not that I don't like a good banner ad, MidiMacMan, but that's way over the top... :rolleyes:

Maybe if you make them just a bit smaller and use a few less colours...? :)

jugband1

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2005
Kate in St. Louis....

I am in a roots rock band called Tenement Ruth and my husband Greg is in a bluegrass/traditional country band called Cumberland Gap. You can google if you are interested and you will see a couple of websites, as well as the dreaded myspaces. We just got our first mac and are delving into home recording with a Tascam Us-122 and a couple of mics and various instruments. We both play guitar/banjo/harmonicas...having fun so far, but sure we will have many problems and questions for you nice poeple in the future (ever the optimist, as you can see)

-K

MidiMacMan

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2005
Denver, Colorado
Sorry for the Headache......hear what midi is these days.

Sorry about the headache that my graphics have caused.

Thanks for the welcome!!!

You know that the use of MIDI isn't what it use to be. Many technological advances in audio have brought use much more than ever recently, and the use of midi isn't what it use to be.

By using an Edirol UM-550 interface, just one brand among many, midi is used to communicate messages between an external synthesiser, in my case an Alesis QS 6 synth, and a CPU. In this way real instrument samples, are replacing the much cheesier versions of instrument sounds.

Well anyway, if you thought that my music may sound "Atari" like or un-real like, lacking the sampling of real recorded sounds, then take a listen.

http://midimacman.com/Hearing/mymusic1.html

Sincerely,
MidiMacMan

faintember

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
the ruins of the Cherokee nation
^^^^MidiMacMan, we are just giving ya a hard time. MIDI has come a long way, and i use MIDI messages all of the time in my interactive electroacoustic music. Now if those banners of yours were able to be manipulated in real-time via MIDI messages........lol

Bubowski

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2006
Hi There...

Sounds like some folks here have a similar background...

Degree in Music Composition in 1982. Used a lot of analog gear back then...MicroMoog (still have it!), Wurly, ElectroComp 101. Got into digital with the Ensoniq ESQ-1, Mac 512E and Opcode Midimac Sequencer (uh...still have all of them, heh heh). Then loaded up with multitrack cassette, Roland D110, Kurzweil PX1000 Pro and EMu proteus 2XR.

Got married, had kids, didn't do anything music related much for the next 12 years.

Still have a system using OS9/PB G3 500 (Pismo), Opcode StudioVision Pro 4.5.1, Reason 2.5, Finale 2004 and T-Racks 24.

My main system now is iMacG5 2 GHz, Logic Express 7.1, various plug-in synths and filters, Finale 2005, GB2, Yamaha DGX-500 (Portable Grand), Edirol PCRA30 (small keyboard).

Still trying to find the time to do music...it's not that easy (the kids are still kids, so...)

Oh and BTW posted some of my older and more recent stuff at http://www.macjams.com/artist/Bubowski

scottlinux

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
MM Composition degree, in a Doctorate comp program currently. Going into film/tv scoring using Logic, Reaktor, samples, and other things to make music/scores. Also do recording/mixing/mastering. Dual G5 powermac does the job. :)

SpecialGuessed

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2006
London, UK
Got to love making beats...

Hi there, I'm a recent convert and apart from one hiccup, I'm so glad that I've made the switch.

Myself, and two friends, make D & B and Breakbeat (UK) at our little home studio in smoggy Old London Town.

Up until this week we've been using:

3.4 Pentium, 1 gb RAM, Focusrite Saffire to run Cubase SX and if I feel in the mood Reason 3.

Have just made the switch to Logic 7.2 run on either the 17" MBP or the 20" iMac (2x2.0intel, 2gb Ram, 500gb HD) and I have to say that after the initial "OH MY GOD WHERE IS EVERYTHING!!!???" Logic is so smooth compared to cubase and we love it.

We're still working on trying to transpose all our Cubase knowledge onto Logic but I'm loving every minute of it.

Please see the link below if you'd like to hear some stuff we've done.

A quick question:

Does anyone know where I can find a list of all of the Logic quick keys etc?

PS: Nice to see there's so many music makers out there in MR.

baleensavage

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
On an island in Maine
Neat thread.
My wife and I are just starting to get our music "studio" together.
We've got an eMac 1.25 ghz running Garageband and Melody Assistant (a really cool shareware notation program). We have a Casio Keyboard with an Eidorol Midi interface and a Shure mic with an iMic (yuck).
Eventual goals: Logic, Sibelius and a decent audio interface
My wife writes the music for my animated online comic. Her Web page is http://heather.jdmsphoto.com, the comic is in my signature. I handle the technical stuff and do the art (though I do dabble in writing some techno music myself). My wife was the music major in college. I got the photography degree.

Smyles

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2006
Brunswick, VIC, AUSTRALIA
If you really want to hear my original stuff, check it out here .

~Steve[/QUOTE]

Hi Steve,

You better go to your site, cause when i went there i was... DENIED... hope all is well.

Great idea for a thread, i will post my speal soon...

jamesbennington

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2006
My name is James. I'm a self taught musician and filmmaker. I just recently set myself up with a macbook pro dual core 2ghz with 1GB of Ram. Fairly modest compared to most of the folks on this forum. I've always been into live performing, but I set myself up with this stuff mostly to record my own music for the films I make. So I'm very green as far as this technology is concerned. I hope some of you pros can help me out when I need it.

cschreppel

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2006
Boston, MA
Hi!

My name is Corey. I'm a freelance engineer/producer/drummer from the Boston area (soon to be Nashville or LA?).

I'm finishing up a degree in Music Production and Engineering from the Berklee College of Music in Boston. Currently mixing two albums (with a third on the way), producing/engineering/drumming on yet another. Most of my clients call me for mixing as I find that's where I tend to shine a bit, however, I love tracking as well.

My current rig:

Pro Tools LE
Dual 1.42 GHz PowerMac G4 (1GB RAM)
15" Titanium Powerbook G4 (soon to be 13" Black MacBook)
OWC Mercury Elite Drives
Digi002 Console
Waves Plugins
M-Audio BX5s

M-Audio Octane Preamp
Various outboard gear

4 SM57s
1 Beta 52
2 KSM27s
1 Røde K2 Tube Condenser
2 Røde NT5s

I also have a side gig as a live sound engineer for Berklee 3-5 days a week running sound for tribute bands, original groups, etc. Also currently working at Mix One Studios in Boston as an assistant engineer.

KidPsych

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2006
Introducing Myself

hey, I am Rob.

I am in not-so-sunny San Francisco, where I work as an IT manager by day, and a recording engineer/drummer by night.

My set up is very DIY hobbyist but here is a list:
Motu828MKII wtih DigitalPerformer 5
DBX 266XL Compressor/Gate
DBX 215 EQ
Lexicon MX200
SMAudio 8 channel Pre
M-Audio Keystation 49e
M-Audio FastTrack USB
Mic collection includes, a bunch of SM57s and 58s, PG56, PG52, PG81, Nady RSM-4, two Behringer B2PRO condensers.
I use a PowerMacG4 733 for tracking, and a MacBookPro for mixing.

I am currently building out a bedroom in my home for light recording and mixing/producing. I am working on sound treatment, mostly minimizing bounce and bass from the listening room, and turning the closet into the recording room. The recording room will be used for vox, acoustic instruments and mini-amps. After that is done, I'll find the monitors which suit me best.

As pro as I wanna be, my hearing is kind of shot. I've been drumming for about 27 years and just started wearing plugs about 2 or 3 years ago. So, I can track all day and night, but I can only mix for about 20 minutes at a time before I start making poor judgements in EQ boost.

But that said, I am pretty proud of work I have done.
http://www.bloodandcoffee.net/robthedrummer/Bunny/
http://www.bloodandcoffee.net/robthedrummer/Mandarins/
http://www.bloodandcoffee.net/AllMyPrettyOnes/
The last one is a friends band, which I recorded all live and haven't yet spent the time mixing it down and polishing it.

Anyway, thats me.

mykelradar

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2006
New Orleans, LA
Hello, I'm Mykel. I write and record music for my own amusement though I do occasionally burn CDs of my tunes then walk around and anonymously put them in people's mailboxes. My genres mix from Zydeco, Punk, Folk, Electronica, Rockabilly, and whatever catches my fancy or just works with a song. I play guitar, bass, percussion, a few tricks on turntables, and Cajun accordion. I'm horrible at keyboards, so midi is my friend. :)

After years of recording with tape, I finally got into digital recording about 1-1/2 years ago. Nothing fancy. I just use GarageBand, though I'm still using my Tascam. Maybe after I get a desktop, I might get Logic Express so I can do digital at more than just 2 tracks at a time.

I used to play guitar and percussion with a few bands in England and New Orleans, LA. That kind of stopped after having kids. I love playing live, so maybe some day in the future.

If you'd like, feel free to check out some of my tunes on my MySpace.

http://myspace.com/mykelradar

PreacherKane

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2006
London, England
Hi, this is my first post.
I've been writing songs for a long time but only recently had the chance to record the songs properly and digitally rather than on 8-track recorders.
I play the drums and the bass and the guitar, a bit, but I really like the song-writing process.
I'm more of a hobbyist who would like to sell his music than a professional musician but I keep on trying.

RufusSwan

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2007
near Branson, MO
Hello to all and a neat thread

Been singing and playing something all my life. Started with accordion but the damn thing was too big for me, at age 6. So in 1957 I started with alto sax, clarinet, flute. In 1963-4 when the Beatle bug hit everyone here, we had a band without a drummer. Sax got traded for my first set of Ludwig's and Zildjian cym's which I still have. {No, the 44 yr. old Turkish made cym's are NOT FOR SALE} Studied music in college and can dabble with anything except horns.

Am now 57 and semi-hemi-demi-retired, have not ruined my ears, and still love playing and writing music. Have a Tascam PortaStudio 4-track, AT condenser mics one side vocal and one pencil for guitars, AKG3700 dynamic mic's for analog recording. Have a MacMini, M-Audio Keystation 61, Tascam US-122L for a DI, and an A.R.T. tube pre to up the sound of mic's or my Strat, or my Fender acoustic with built-in mic. And still have the sax. Course, I got a guitar amp. This is plenty o' stuff for a one man band.

I love the digital side of music, cause it is so, so easy to collaborate with others. Am attempting to get as good with IDrum as I am with MyDrums, te he! My musical preferences are Jazz, Folk, Rock, Classical, good bluegrass. Anyone wants to collaborate, I'll give anything a shot, no muss, no fuss, no cost, no obligation.

I did one of those goofy myspace things a few months ago to post my first "tune" and will add others as they complete themselves. You can visit at:

http://www.myspace.com/rufusswan

And if you don't mind I'd like to listen to a protege of mine at:

http://www.myspace.com/briandodds

Paz, and keep up the good work

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.