Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I'll take it as "No, unfortunately there's no way to set those parameters inside Kepler Bios Tweaker".
Guess I'm gonna learn how to launch NVflash from the command line (-:

Thanks a lot for taking some time to answer.
cheers

It really couldn't be simpler. Step out of your comfort zone and learn something new.

Solomon N.

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2014
Step-by-step is already in this very thread.

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/17832428/

Thanks a lot for pointing it out.

I've read the full thread back then when I've flashed my card for the first time, but I couldn't recall that particular post.

It really couldn't be simpler. Step out of your comfort zone and learn something new.

Indeed, that's what I'm doing along with polite questions.
Now u step out of your whining zone.

Last edited:

Solomon N.

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2014
quick follow up.

Now the bios of my card is set back to its original state.
I can report and confirm that the hack of flashing my Zotac 680 4GB was having a severe impact on the responsiveness of OpenGL applications.
Now my apps run smooth again, without any lag in the viewport.

I'd be curious to know if other Zotac owners of this very specific model have ever experienced this issue with opengl, after flashing their card.

Anyway, thanks a lot guys for your patience and for being so informative.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
quick follow up.

I can report and confirm that the hack of flashing my Zotac 680 4GB was having a severe impact on the responsiveness of OpenGL applications.

I'd be curious to know if other Zotac owners of this very specific model have ever experienced this issue with opengl, after flashing their card.

If you want to stick with the 680 4GB, I think you've got three options here:
1) Swap yours for one that is known to work with this EFI ROM, which is most models actually.
2) Ask Macvidcards if he can flash your specific model--his 4GB ROM is different and better than the freely-available ROM, but he charges a fee.
3) Run it without the EFI ROM, foregoing boot screens and 5GT/s PCIe speed in Windows. The latter of which is probably not noticeable anyway, outside of benchmarks.

Huggi

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2009
Sweden
quick follow up.

I have the same card but I have removed it from the computer of sheer disappointment =) It is extremely unstable flashed. Under load, I get video errors and then freezes the computer/screen.

I probably would have needed Macvidcards flash ROM if it is more stable but unfortunately I live in Sweden so it's not an option.

A dream had been if Macvidcards had sold the ROM so that you could flash it yourself. But I can understand that they want to have control over it, but it feels sad for us northerners in Sweden =)

Last edited:

bokkow

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2012
The Netherlands
I just received my EVGA GTX680+ 4GB. Chose this above a GTX 960 for the ability to easily flash it and the nice deal I could make; €175,- :) . It went as smooth as hoped for:

Connected two 6-pin power connectors (although there is a 8-pin connector on the card) booted right into OSX and W7(BC) got the NVFlash tool, made a backup of the original ROM, took the new ROM and modified the clockspeeds and powersettings to the default bumped up speeds of this card, and presto!

Booted in PCI 2.0 mode (although it does switch to 1.1 when not being used for intensive tasks, is this normal?). I didn't get a bootscreen right away though. I didn't realize that you don't get a bootscreen through DP on a 4K display so that was a bit of a worry, however, through HDMI it does show the bootscreen. I hope that this gets fixed in a future OSX iteration or would that just be wishful thinking?

Thanks for making this possible!

Last edited:

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
I used a GTX 680 4GB with the ROM here for a long time and never experienced any lag in OpenGL. Maybe it was just an incompatibility with your particular Zotac?

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
4K bootscreen can't come from an OS that isn't loaded yet

We could do it with EFI, may roll out a 2nd wave of KEPLER redone roms someday with this added

You will also find that one of your DVI ports doesn't work with public rom

bokkow

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2012
The Netherlands

We could do it with EFI, may roll out a 2nd wave of KEPLER redone roms someday with this added

Ah thanks for clearing that up, i thought it was somewhere up to Apple to change this, read about nMP also not displaying bootscreens at 4K properly but that must have been something different then.

I honestly don't know if the DVI port works or not, haven't used it and probably wont either.

If you would want to take the effort to revisit the current ROM to add bootscreen support at 4K that would be awesome. I know it is your business model to sell these cards, but living in The Netherlands, shipping back and forth really isnt worth it, I would donate by paypal though!

bokkow

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2012
The Netherlands

MVC, I would like to undertake some trial and error myself on editing ROMs. I've been reading up over at the Netkas forum, in particular an interesting thread of someone trying to make a 770 properly recognized.

My goal seems less drastic, I would like to get a bit of experience in this way and get this 680 4GB to show a bootscreen through DP at 4K and (just to make it complete) get the DVI-port to be functional although not needed. Is it realistic of me to think this is possible and with some tinkering actually get it to work myself? Or am I too optimistic? Would you be so kind to point me at where to start? Assuming it wouldnt hurt your business?

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
The thread where the guy is trying 770 is as much of a "freebie fest" as I am going to do.

Mac EFI roms have 256,000 characters in them, or so.

Just need to switch a few to fix these things. Sadly, Nvidia doesn't leave labels in there like "Here is where we shut off top DVI port" so you have to figure it out.

I will point out the same thing I tried to point out to the 770 guy, far easier to learn on Fermi cards, where I did.

Fermi Mac EFi had 2 parts, PC BIOS and Mac EFI. Yes, they have "locks" between them, you can't just slap one with another without modding both. Starting with Kepler and going into Maxwell, Mac cards now have 5 rom parts, the Mac EFI is just one of them. And all 5 parts are "locked" together. So the sewing is more intricate and has more places to fail.

bokkow

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2012
The Netherlands
Thanks for pointing out where to start although it is roughly indeed the same information as in the thread of the guy with a 770. I can work with this and I will give it a shot :)

"Freebie fest" does have a negative tone to it, so I would like to address this and explain that I am not trying to undermine anything your selling :)

The thing is, living in the Netherlands makes buying from your business very, VERY expensive and therefore not interesting anymore. For example:

GTX 980 Ti: $880.- fair enough including your labour and research, would come down to:

CPylmCGl.png

Or $1200.- :-/

I am sorry but that is just too much. And it gets even worse if anyone from over the pond decides to ship their own graphics card over to you. You will pay shipping twice obviously, and if you're unlucky the authorities will charge you with the same import taxes and duty as when you bought the card immediately from MVC in the first place.

I would like to pay for a ROM file in my situation (no hardware modding required anyway) and work around unnecessary shipping/taxes/duty! So if you're willing to meet halfway please let me know!

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
Thanks for pointing out where to start although it is roughly indeed the same information as in the thread of the guy with a 770. I can work with this and I will give it a shot :)

"Freebie fest" does have a negative tone to it, so I would like to address this and explain that I am not trying to undermine anything your selling :)

The thing is, living in the Netherlands makes buying from your business very, VERY expensive and therefore not interesting anymore. For example:

GTX 980 Ti: $880.- fair enough including your labour and research, would come down to:

CPylmCGl.png

Or $1200.- :-/

I am sorry but that is just too much. And it gets even worse if anyone from over the pond decides to ship their own graphics card over to you. You will pay shipping twice obviously, and if you're unlucky the authorities will charge you with the same import taxes and duty as when you bought the card immediately from MVC in the first place.

I would like to pay for a ROM file in my situation (no hardware modding required anyway) and work around unnecessary shipping/taxes/duty! So if you're willing to meet halfway please let me know!

GREAT post! I'm in the same boat as a residence from The Netherlands.

Just a dealbreaker we're facing!

Cheers

NNois

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2015
Hi !
I have kind like a problem... one of the two DVI output doesn't work anymore with this rom, the one on the "second floor".
I've checked on the first "floor" the DVI + hdmi + display port worked right.

So i'm forced to use the hdmi output for my third screen... duhhh

Anyone with the same problem ? (Asus GTX 680 here)

bokkow

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2012
The Netherlands
That's normal, the modified ROM does not support the second DVI port. There is little hope for a ROM revision which deals with second DVI port and 4K over DP :/

NNois

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2015
Ah ah ! The creator or an admin of the thread should put that on the first post, for some persons (like me) it's a show stopper ;-) by the way thanks Dr. Stealth !

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
I believe, originally, the second DVI port worked. It got broken one or two OS X updates ago.
Yeah ... that is what mine did as well ... 2nd DVI port quit working after a OS X update some time ago.

Mine was a MacVidCards purchase, and he announced some time ago that he had developed a firmware fix for the problem. I sent my card back to him for the update, but it still was non-functional when it was returned. I have to resort to a workaround using the DisplayPort and primary DVI for my 2-monitor desktop (HDMI didn't have enough resolution, so unable to use the 3rd monitor).

I am still using it, however I am thinking of updating to a MVC supplied GTX 980 Ti 6GB once some of the driver issues with El Capitan are sorted out and stable.

Last edited:

netzambo

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2009
Hi.
Mac Pro Early 2009, firmware 5.1, PNY gtx680 2G apple bios flashed.
All works ok, green screen ok.
I've installed windows 10 64 in efi mode on a dedicated disc.
At windows 10 boot after some seconds of rotating ring the sync with monitor goes down, then 1/3 minutes of black screen then windows 10 screen goes up and in the system event viewer there are 6/8 event:
Nvlddmkm Error (Display driver stopped responding and has recovered).
Note that this does not happen with PC firmware.

Some suggestion?
Thank you.

mikeboss

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2009
switzerland
Hi.
Mac Pro Early 2009, firmware 5.1, PNY gtx680 2G apple bios flashed.
All works ok, green screen ok.
I've installed windows 10 64 in efi mode on a dedicated disc.
At windows 10 boot after some seconds of rotating ring the sync with monitor goes down, then 1/3 minutes of black screen then windows 10 screen goes up and in the system event viewer there are 6/8 event:
Nvlddmkm Error (Display driver stopped responding and has recovered).
Note that this does not happen with PC firmware.

Some suggestion?
Thank you.

this is a known problem. solution #1: install windows with BIOS emulation instead of EFI. solution #2 switch to Radeon HD 5770 or 5870 (genuine Apple OEM model).

carpsafari

Suspended
Sep 13, 2015
the Netherlands
That's normal, the modified ROM does not support the second DVI port. There is little hope for a ROM revision which deals with second DVI port and 4K over DP

Yeah ... that is what mine did as well ... 2nd DVI port quit working after a OS X update some time ago.

:/

Strange, mine must be the exception that proves the rule so to speak. Both DVI ports work fine.

I bought my MP 4.1 with this card already flashed, I'm Dutch too ;) , so if you want you could copy my rom and go from there!

BOB

netzambo

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2009
Strange, mine must be the exception that proves the rule so to speak. Both DVI ports work fine.

I bought my MP 4.1 with this card already flashed, I'm Dutch too ;) , so if you want you could copy my rom and go from there!

BOB
Yes, please, tell me how to download it.
Thank you

Ch0pstix

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2015
Cables and power are fine. I don't think anyone has flashed that particular model yet, so you'd be the first to try that I'm aware of.

Do you also have the KFA2 GTX680 (the one with triple fans?) I am looking at one a great del but can't get any confirmation that it has been flashed fot boot screen. It seems to be a little bit different so I don't know if it makes any difference while flashing?

The memory core is 1110 MHZ compared to 1006 MHZ, can't find much other specs about the card.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/KFA2/GTX_680_Limited_OC/

(I've got a early 2009 mac pro that is getting some upgrades)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.