Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I hadn't given this much scrutiny, but good idea (though going to be a cluster to get one fitted then a preorder in) to avoid exchange/returns and keep them to a minimal. since this is so nice and so many ways it could go.

imagine camping out for a good while and deciding not wanting even the 349 38mm sport model :D

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I'm a bit puzzled. I thought I read that Angela Ahrendts was no longer permitting lines and had instituted the appointment system to help get rid of them.

thecurryman

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2012
Lining up to see the new watch isn't the same as people lining up to buy it. I highly doubt more than 5% of people will buy a watch combo that is $750+ (watch head plus band). I bet most people will just get the $350 one but depending on how the sport band feels, it may not sell as well. I mean the band prices are ridiculous! $500 for a metal band? its literally steel links!

However, I bet it'll still sell 2 million opening weekend...but not much after that. I mean with OK reviews and a high price, anyone who wants the watch will buy ASAP but after that, people probably won't.

Douglas B

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2010
Sydney
Big wrist update after try ons in Sydney.

230mm wrist here...

42mm Classic Buckle: I could do this up on the last two holes but the very last hole was more comfortable.

42mm Sport strap:
I could do up the Sport strap on the last hole but to be comfortable I would need to make one further hole. The strap was long enough to accommodate me making one extra hole but I can't be sure (sorry) that the end would stay tucked in.

42mm Link bracelet:
I didn't close the clasp fully and I didn't want to break it. It may have been more likely to cut me than break. But I think I could use it with two extra links. The Apple Store employee was not currently aware if or when they might sell extra links.

Also, we pulled off the straps on one watch and at the top end it does say in the crevice, 'Designed in California. Assembled in China' but at the bottom end of the watch it still has those five or six pins exposed that were rumored to be for testing but I believe are there to accommodate future straps with tech features! Like the Pebble watch will have. Just have to wonder if the straps with tech features will be long enough.

The watches I tried on were in demo mode but they also had watches basically mounted on the table that had running software you could try.

uid15

Suspended
Mar 9, 2015

230mm wrist here...

42mm Classic Buckle: I could do this up on the last two holes but the very last hole was more comfortable.

42mm Sport strap:
I could do up the Sport strap on the last hole but to be comfortable I would need to make one further hole. The strap was long enough to accommodate me making one extra hole but I can't be sure (sorry) that the end would stay tucked in.

42mm Link bracelet:
I didn't close the clasp fully and I didn't want to break it. It may have been more likely to cut me than break. But I think I could use it with two extra links. The Apple Store employee was not currently aware if or when they might sell extra links.

Also, we pulled off the straps on one watch and at the top end it does say in the crevice, 'Designed in California. Assembled in China' but at the bottom end of the watch it still has those five or six pins exposed that were rumored to be for testing but I believe are there to accommodate future straps with tech features! Like the Pebble watch will have. Just have to wonder if the straps with tech features will be long enough.

The watches I tried on were in demo mode but they also had watches basically mounted on the table that had running software you could try.

PicsOrItDidn'tHappen :p

RayDonovan

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2014
Who the hell is lining up? I was just at the apple store in doncaster and there was no line. I waited less than ten minutes to try one on and in the meantime was playing around with their display models. Kept me plenty busy :cool:

iG10

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2015

230mm wrist here...

42mm Sport strap:

42mm Link bracelet:

As you have seen the watches, the housing of the Sport edition is it scratch able? Also, the 38mm is it small?

Tejas57

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2015
so i just got home from the apple store after trying on the watch.

i wore the Black 42mm Sport and the 38mm Stainless with the link band.

the try on watches were running a demo loop once turned on (i'm not sure if i have seen it anywhere how to turn it on – you hold the digital crown and the side button in) but the ones connected to the ipads on display are fully functional
the fluroelastmer band feels nice on the wrist – not too sterile

the colours of the sport bands are actully quite good – they are somewhat more muted than i expected and even the pink isn't as in your face as i expected.

the link band is real nice but there was some trouble getting both sides to click in and close – one side took a little more effort.

the taptic feedback is a little weak – i am actully afraid i may miss feedback now

the tables they store the try on watches in are kinda cool, unlocked with the payment terminals the staff have, but they did have trouble unlocking them – but it could be they just don't have the technique down pat yet.

i was debating between the 38 and 42 sport. i currently use a pebble steel. the screen sizes on the 38 and the steel were roughly the same, but the 42mm case is the same as the total size of the pebble steel (including the screen and the bezel and surrounds) i have decided on the 38mm

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Talk about supply constraints when every Apple Store has about 20 of them under a piece of glass! :rolleyes:

iG10

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2015
so i just got home from the apple store after trying on the watch.

i wore the Black 42mm Sport and the 38mm Stainless with the link band.

the try on watches were running a demo loop once turned on (i'm not sure if i have seen it anywhere how to turn it on – you hold the digital crown and the side button in) but the ones connected to the ipads on display are fully functional
the fluroelastmer band feels nice on the wrist – not too sterile

the colours of the sport bands are actully quite good – they are somewhat more muted than i expected and even the pink isn't as in your face as i expected.

the link band is real nice but there was some trouble getting both sides to click in and close – one side took a little more effort.

the taptic feedback is a little weak – i am actully afraid i may miss feedback now

the tables they store the try on watches in are kinda cool, unlocked with the payment terminals the staff have, but they did have trouble unlocking them – but it could be they just don't have the technique down pat yet.

i was debating between the 38 and 42 sport. i currently use a pebble steel. the screen sizes on the 38 and the steel were roughly the same, but the 42mm case is the same as the total size of the pebble steel (including the screen and the bezel and surrounds) i have decided on the 38mm

Hi there, i'll make the same question to you! :)

As you have seen the watches, the housing of the Sport edition is it scratch able? Also, the 38mm is it small?

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
It's a first "smart" watch from Apple. You need to see it in person to decide which one you are going to get. It's not like ordering a pizza.

This is pretty much how I feel. I'm gonna try to bag an appointment for Saturday just so I can go and see one in person and try it on, even though at this point I'm pretty sure I don't want one.

It worries me that a lot of people are rushing into pre-orders and will realise they made the wrong choice on delivery day. Also that most people don't actually have a use for one and are impulse buying. But hey, we're Apple fans. 90% of our purchases are on impulse. :rolleyes:

Tejas57

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2015
Hi there, i'll make the same question to you! :)

let me put it this way - i'm buying a 38mm sport. i'm not concerned about scratching and i actually think the black sport will hide scratches more than the polished one.

i was thinking the 38mm was too small, especially as a pebble steel wearer but having worn one i find it to be a good size (and i have big wrists)

photosbynick

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2011
I haven't seen anyone mention or as this but can the sport take other bands? I wasn't sure if they made slight design changes to prevent this or not.

rickdollar

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2007

One of the reviews said there are two "strength" settings for the Taptic engine. I believe the default was the low setting. That's probably what you felt in the store.

Candlelight

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
New Zealand
So annoying. If New Zealand hadn't pissed off Apple for the iPhone 4 launch we'd still be in the first group - and beat Australia to opening time by two hours.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.