Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macAllen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2009
Las Vegas
*Disclaimer Before you read... Keep in mind this is a guide. make sure you actually go to a store and try one on! If you find any of the information below doesn't apply to you or you disagree. Then guess what, welcome to the fashion world where fashion is fashion. And if it works it works. As long as you got the confidence and as long as you feel good about yourself, why not? Who cares what others think? Just get it!

For those of you that have not preorder or still having some doubts on what size you should get. Listen up!

I can sit here and talk about the golden ratio and all...

But lets make this simple...

Grab your wallet, take out a credit card, (send me a pm of the numbers) no don't, I don't need your money :p

Take out your credit card and lay it the long way across your wrist. So that the numbers are vertical, going up and down your wrist. With the last four digits of the card closes to your wrist bone and the first four digits closes to your elbow.

Heres the thing about wrist measurements talk about on many forums. Picking a watch size has nothing to do with wrist circumference. That only matters when your picking a band size. It has to do with wrist width. Everyone is not the same circumference and width being completely different to others.

So back to the Card!
Take it and lay it across your wrist.
p6pmc.jpg

A. Your wrist literally disappears under the credit card
B. Your wrist matches or just a tad smaller, or just a tad larger.
C. Your wrist is much larger than your credit card but at least 8-10mm or more

If you got A Then there's no way the 42mm is going to look great on you... in short, it will look like a toy is on your wrist.

If you got B Your special! Like me! You can choose! Now here is the dilemma... Do you want the "Smart Watch" look or do you want a traditional "Watch" look. The 38mm definitely is well proportioned. On the other hand, the 42mm is definitely a smart watch look. For those early adopters of smart watched that have an original pebble watch it looks like this (42mm) One thing though... If you pick the 38mm you might find the screen smaller, and want to lust over the 42mm. Don't let this discourage you! after playing with a 38 MM size watch you get really used to the size of the screen very fast! This is when you have to prioritize what you want more. Looks? (38mm) or do you want function/screen size, and possibly better battery life and don't really care that it screams "Smart Watch"

And finally if you got C The small 38mm will look tiny, go for the 42mm you'll be happy of the screen size, and possibly the battery life!

So those of you that are still undecided what do you think? Did this guide help you out? Its pretty simple when you dumb it down.

Last edited:
Reactions: Asp09 and Ancandis

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Lay it the long way across your wrist?? Try the short way. :cool:

These threads are pretty silly....

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
This is actually a really good guide. I'm B, and am leaning toward the 38mm for a well proportioned look, because I don't really want the "smart watch" look, but I'll try both on shortly. I ordered both sizes just in case.

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
I'm an A, no sign of my wrist with my cc on top of it. I would say that from the impressions, it also seems like the height will make it look bigger than it is. I know some people will go with 42mm for the screen size but that doesn't mean it won't look huge on them not only due to wrist width but the watch height.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Wow, I'm an A and liked the way both looked but already have a 42mm on pre-order.

Edit: whoops, thought this was a vertical test originally. Actually a C lol. I didn't think people most actually have wrists the length of a credit card.

Last edited:

SixtyK

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2013
Nebraska
There is also an option in the Apple Store app to see each case actual size, giving you some idea how each might look proportional to your wrist.

54c57b668fd2679a3b1a49602bec16d9.png

Encom82

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2015
This guide is excellent. Im somewhere between A and B and 38 looked better on me in the store.

donster28

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
Take out your credit card and lay it the long way across your wrist. So that the numbers are vertical, going up and down your wrist.

Thank you for this guide but I have a question:

Did you mean laying the card horizontally (long way) along the arm as if the card is the watch facing you correctly? Sorry, I'm dumb this way LOL.

fanta88

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2015
Great guide!

I'm an A. Very slim, bony wrists. I knew 38 would be best based on the sizes of some of my other watches (a 40mm diver I own is borderline overwhelming), but I generally prefer something more discreet and smaller. Never understood the big watch fad, but to each his own.

FSUSem1noles

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Well I'm a C, but I like a more inconspicuous look so I was thinking of going with the 38".

I did preorder the 42" so I'll see how that looks and feels but I'm hoping I'll be able to pull off a 38".

NauticalDan

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2010
Canada
Interesting guide. Not sure where you came up with that, but it seems like it is actually a pretty accurate guide, at least for my wrist.

Wildgift

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2007
Really helpful and makes me less apprehensive about the 38mm SS milanese I ordered!

atiffarooq

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2006
Really helpful and makes me less apprehensive about the 38mm SS milanese I ordered!

I tried that strap in the Apple store earlier. Absolutely brilliant and I'm definitely going to be ordering one for my 38mm SS (I went with the black sports strap to start off with).

Good choice :)

jonhoy

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2015
I'm B (tad under) so I'm wondering... what exactly is a "smart-watch look"?

i0Nic

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2006
Sydney, Australia
I'm B (tad under) so I'm wondering... what exactly is a "smart-watch look"?

A watch that is bulky and looks too big for your wrist, looks casual, and people pass it off as ok because it's a 'smartwatch' and they all look like that. Until now with the apple watch and the smaller 38mm.

Reactions: hemon
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.