Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
Hi everyone,

When I open finder and click network, I don't see my respective other Mac. The iMac doesn't show the Powerbook there, and the Powerbook doesn't show the iMac. Both machines list my XP machine though.

I can go to "go connect to server" under finder and enter computer name or IP address, and it does connect to the other Mac. However, why isn't it just showing up under network? Yes, I do have file sharing on.

Thanks for the help. :)

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
powerbook911 said:
Hi everyone,

When I open finder and click network, I don't see my respective other Mac. The iMac doesn't show the Powerbook there, and the Powerbook doesn't show the iMac. Both machines list my XP machine though.

I can go to "go connect to server" under finder and enter computer name or IP address, and it does connect to the other Mac. However, why isn't it just showing up under network? Yes, I do have file sharing on.

Thanks for the help. :)
What type of network at we talking about here. Are they both connected to the same device, or is there a couple of routers and switches between them. Try unchecking and checking again to see if the service just needs to be reseted.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
varmit said:
What type of network at we talking about here. Are they both connected to the same device, or is there a couple of routers and switches between them. Try unchecking and checking again to see if the service just needs to be reseted.

Thanks. Yeah, I just have an airport express that all the machines are connected to.

Unchecking and checking worked. Thank you very much. :)

Kelmon

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2005
United Kingdom
I get all sorts of problems like this at home when connecting computers together using the Network browser. Mostly I'm connecting to Windows computers that have been brought round by family and friends so I'm not sure whether Macs will be more reliable or not. Anyway, I often don't get computers appearing in the browser, or the Alias to them doesn't work such that I get an error message despite the fact that the other computer is connected to my AirPort Extreme network. Given this I usually have to connect to the other computer using the "manual" Connect to Server dialog that always seems to work.

Overall, the Network browser seems to be very unreliable and is something that I only use if I want to annoy myself.:D

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
It's the only thing I miss from Windows.

Windows' approach to finding/browsing networked computers is better then OS X's. There, I said it.

I liked being able to browse networked computers as though they were folders on my computer. I liked being able to see shared printers and other shared hardware within the other computer's folder.

I hate having to mount each separate folder onto my desktop just to be able to see what's inside. I hate having to hunt for shared printers in a different place to shared documents in order to use them.

I'd like to see:

Network -> Computer -> All available shares listed as regular folders including shared printers, double click on a shared printer and it loads it into your printer set up.

NO mounting/dismounting individual shared folders.

End Rant.

Everything else about OS X I love, just leaves a lot to be desired on the networking side.

ShootTheMessngr

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2009
new iMac not listed under Networks

I'm having the same problem.

My G5 mac lists my mac book, but my new iMac.

The iMacs' airport is up, it connects wirelessly to the net; it's in the same physical location as the mac book.

How do I get my new iMac to show up under Networks in the finder, like the old mac book does?

Thanx.:confused:

drepacino

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2009
Network sharing Issues

I am new to Mac and am trying to get pictures from my widows vista laptop via file sharing through a linksys router. It worked once for me and now I can not seem to find the other computer on my network. I did the "connect to server" and then browse and still no luck. Any suggestions? I am really getting frustrated and am not as familiar with mac as I am with windows systems. I love my mac but this is driving me insane

Please help

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
You might try logging out and back in again. I had problems when I was using Leopard like this. My laptop would not show up on the network even when sharing was enabled. I think it was just because I had kept upgrading for years and had accumulated too much junk in the preference files. I wiped the drive and reinstalled everything and it worked OK. That is pretty drastic. Perhaps the log out trick or restarting will help.

Also try creating a new account. This should have fresh preferences. Sometimes I've seen problems not occur in the new account.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Windows' approach to finding/browsing networked computers is better then OS X's. There, I said it.

I liked being able to browse networked computers as though they were folders on my computer. I liked being able to see shared printers and other shared hardware within the other computer's folder.

I hate having to mount each separate folder onto my desktop just to be able to see what's inside. I hate having to hunt for shared printers in a different place to shared documents in order to use them.

I'd like to see:

Network -> Computer -> All available shares listed as regular folders including shared printers, double click on a shared printer and it loads it into your printer set up.

End Rant.

Everything else about OS X I love, just leaves a lot to be desired on the networking side.

The Windows way is great until you get the whole access denied contact your network administrator when trying to browse your network (I don't remember the code verbatim). Which seems to be a major problem with XP SP3. It has occurred for me with a fresh install after updates every time. The only workarounds are to disable then re-enable netbios (good till the next reboot), make your workgroup name something other than MSHOME or WORKGROUP, or to type in the computer in the address bar via \\computername.

I prefer being able to connect by typing in the IP address then simply saving a shortcut to the share or placing it in my Startup items. Though you do need to set static IP addresses for all your computers, which I do anyways.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley

I'd like to see:

End Rant.

Wrong, if you have any knowledge of the underlying structure of OS X vs. Windows for detecting other devices on a network...

barrerboy

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2011
Toronto
Wrong, if you have any knowledge of the underlying structure of OS X vs. Windows for detecting other devices on a network...

Right. Why should we need arcane knowledge just to make the agravating mac network system work? My HP wireless printer hooked up to an Aspire PC laptop instantly. My far more expensive iMac cant find the bloody thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.