Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
The powerball is my favorite lottery, it can get rediculously high... haven't followed it in a long time, but this is huge...

normally i would say not to waste your money... but the way i look at the lottery is this... SOMEONE has to win, and whoever that is will say "i never thought it could be me!"... well, you bought a ticket, didn't you? :D No one's harmed by a little fun lotto... now if anyone is inspired by this post, to go play, and you win, i want a little cut. It's only fair... :)

pnw

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
Damn, the local powerball is only at $215,000,000. It would still be more then sufficent for me :D

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Re: $300,000,000.00 Christmas Powerball Lotto

Originally posted by paulwhannel
The powerball is my favorite lottery, it can get rediculously high... haven't followed it in a long time, but this is huge...

normally i would say not to waste your money... but the way i look at the lottery is this... SOMEONE has to win, and whoever that is will say "i never thought it could be me!"... well, you bought a ticket, didn't you? :D No one's harmed by a little fun lotto... now if anyone is inspired by this post, to go play, and you win, i want a little cut. It's only fair... :)

pnw
Sure if you want to give me the winning numbers before the close of ticket sales of Wed.

Hopefully it's not a PC user that wins, I'd hate to see someone squander the winnings on Wintel equipment. :(

And it's only $280 million dollars right now. Don't expect a huge pop in the number if it rolls over.

The new changes enacted recently - October 6, 2002.

Besides the pick 5 numbers from a pool (1 to 53) and 1 for the powerball (1 to 42), the Match 5 Bonus Prize - this is 5 white balls from the (1 to 53) - is all new.

The Match 5 caps the increase in the Powerball jackpot to $25 million per rollover in record territory - anything above that get split amongst the days $100k winners as the Match 5 Bonus Prize, when there is a Powerball winner.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Someone call Ms. Cleo. Incldently, my old HS principal and good friend's father is the guy who picks the Powerball numbers here in iowa... Billicus, have you met him?

:)
pnw

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Yeah I heard about this last night. Pretty damn big.

Although a year or two ago it was much higher. The New England Powerball was up to around a few billion. I'm not kidding. What happened was a whole bunch of people won, and each received $22.7 million (I think that was the number).

Earlier this year there was a huge lottery (I think New Jersey lottery) at mid 8 or 9 digits, and people were going nuts about it. Outside of my classroom, I overheard my Spanish 3 teacher talking about spending $50 worth of lotto tickets.

I can't imagine what people must be doing this time around. Not to mention that some of the roads at Paramus N.Y. had to be closed off, because of the last minute rush.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
The odds are so great that you would have a better chance of getting hit by lightning. In the end you can't win if you don't play. As said before somone has to win, hopefully a switcher!:)

bombensington

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2002
Originally posted by paulwhannel
Someone call Ms. Cleo. Incldently, my old HS principal and good friend's father is the guy who picks the Powerball numbers here in iowa... Billicus, have you met him?

:)
pnw

do you mean local celeb mike pace?

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by wdlove
The odds are so great that you would have a better chance of getting hit by lightning. In the end you can't win if you don't play. As said before somone has to win, hopefully a switcher!:)

Ha if I win, well, there'd be a whole lot of switching going on.....but it truly is a silly amount of money and hard to really grasp. You could spend it, but it would be difficult to do so quickly.

And as for odds - well, it only takes one ticket and for me its a matter of fate at this level of probability.

Good luck all,

D

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Who bought recently..?

ok guys. I am playing.
Beer's on me after I win. I also pledge $500,000 to Macrumors.

Reactions: kazmac

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Who bought recently..?

Yep. I did. Nice that one person in MD won the Powerball.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
Wow! That is just crazy to think about winnining.
I thought I read the odds were something like 1 in 300 million almost like asking everyone in the US to line up and asking one person to pick one out of the 300 million. Odds are quite slim to get picked out

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.