Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
It's being delivered Thursday. Anyone using it? Tips or comment?

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I don't have the Big Green Egg, but I do enjoy grilling and smoking. We've had a dedicated smoker for a few years now and use it to make pulled pork, ribs, chicken, fish, turkey, etc. I will say that my favorite smoking resource is an informational website called amazingribs.com . The site is packed with info including product reviews, recipes, cooking techniques, etc. The first and most important thing I learned about smoking is the importance of buying a good meat thermometer and the best way to use it so that you can monitor both cooking temperature and meat temperature at the same time. Have fun with your purchase and report back on how things go. :)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Wow, and I thought this was a troll thread. Apologies for that! The food on their web-site looks delicious.

Unfortunately, until I read your post, and clicked on the link supplied, I have to admit that I had thought the exact same thing on reading the thread title.

However, agreed; the food does look (and sound) delicious, on that link.

To the OP: Best of luck and enjoy it.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Wow, and I thought this was a troll thread. Apologies for that! The food on their web-site looks delicious.

Too funny. Not trying to troll anyone or push any specific product, but just glad to share information. When we bought our smoker I started looking online to find information and stumbled across the site. It was started by a guy who is a professional BBQ judge. Have you seen those competitions on TV where folks are smoking and grilling all kinds of food, the only one that come to mind by name is Memphis in May. With those credentials I figured he must really know his stuff.

My wife and I really do enjoy using our smoker. We didn't buy an expensive one, but did go with a gas model for ease of use. My father in law bought one last year and decided on a pellet model. The process can be tricky, but with practice and good info I think anyone can learn to do it.

As far as the thermometer thing goes that I mentioned before, I went with the original model iGrill and it's worked well. It's really cool monitoring my cooking on my phone. With summer coming we'll be firing up the smoker really soon. :)

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
A buddy of mine is a BGE fanatic - it's funny, ownership is kind of like Apple, it's very "club-ish", they love talking about them, etc.

He just recently designed his own BGE grilling table, pretty neat, has a place for the egg, lots of counter space, hangers.

No egg here, just a full sized gas, a small portable gas and a medium sized more-or-less portable charcoal (the latter is my favorite in terms of taste, but the least convenient). We use the smallest one at the beach on occasion.

The last big one we had, that went pear shaped, I just "converted" into a smoker, the main grill body was still intact, so it was great with some slow burning wood and a brisket :cool:

(it has since gone on to the great BBQ in the sky ...)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Yes, initially, - going by the title alone I had thought it was a troll thread, too, but for the fact that I knew that Gutwrench isn't a troll thread kind of guy.

Actually, I had never heard of 'Big Green Egg' until I read the thread; you learn something new everyday. Thanks for posting the links - they make very interesting reading.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
A buddy of mine is a BGE fanatic - it's funny, ownership is kind of like Apple, it's very "club-ish", they love talking about them, etc.

I know a couple of guys who are the same way.

I have mixed feelings about the BGE - it seems like it does a handful of things really well, but other things perhaps less so. It's real claim to being different from other grills/smokers is that it's insulated, so you can keep a smaller fire going inside. That's great if you're going for a "baking" effect with smoke flavor, but to me, if I'm grilling, I want heat, and as much of it as I can get. I use a wood-burning grill/smoker for that.

When I'm smoking meat, I want the meat off to the side from the fire, and the BGE isn't really set up for that. But to each his own.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
Thanks for the replies and links.

I'm looking for a wireless dual probe remote thermometer. I remember looking at the iGtill so will take another look.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
I know a couple of guys who are the same way.

I have mixed feelings about the BGE - it seems like it does a handful of things really well, but other things perhaps less so. It's real claim to being different from other grills/smokers is that it's insulated, so you can keep a smaller fire going inside. That's great if you're going for a "baking" effect with smoke flavor, but to me, if I'm grilling, I want heat, and as much of it as I can get. I use a wood-burning grill/smoker for that.

When I'm smoking meat, I want the meat off to the side from the fire, and the BGE isn't really set up for that. But to each his own.

I'm a genuine rookie when it comes to smoking. I've grilled a bunch like everyone has but interested in more serious grilling and smokes as a hobby. The Egg is expensive and understand the grilling and smoking hobby has a large learning curve.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I'm a genuine rookie when it comes to smoking. I've grilled a bunch like everyone has but interested in more serious grilling and smokes as a hobby. The Egg is expensive and understand the grilling and smoking has a large learning curve.

A buddy of mine up in ATL is hardcore - he's on a team, competes, the whole nine yards. That's a little too gonzo for me, but as long as he cranking out the delicious eats, I'm good :D

JamesMike

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2014
Oregon
I don't have the Big Green Egg, but I do enjoy grilling and smoking. We've had a dedicated smoker for a few years now and use it to make pulled pork, ribs, chicken, fish, turkey, etc. I will say that my favorite smoking resource is an informational website called amazingribs.com . The site is packed with info including product reviews, recipes, cooking techniques, etc. The first and most important thing I learned about smoking is the importance of buying a good meat thermometer and the best way to use it so that you can monitor both cooking temperature and meat temperature at the same time. Have fun with your purchase and report back on how things go. :)

Thanks for the link, bookmarked the website.

Toppa G's

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2003
The exurbs, MN
My dad has 3(!!!), in different sizes and is always trying something new with them. He's made some tasty meats (brisket, turkey, chicken, ribs, pork tenderloin, chops, etc.) and extended to veggies, pizzas and even cookies as well. He's even taken some smoked beef sticks from a local meat company and re-smoked them which really kicks up the flavor.

As far as accessories, he has platesetters for indirect cooking, a temperature control (BBQ Guru), and a different chimney cap, as well as a couple various egg tables/stands and things like a pizza paddle.

Renzatic

Suspended
GOD, I'M SO HUNGRY NOW!

Total aside (sorta), but one thing I'd love to learn how to do is cook on an habachi grill.

I discovered a really good Habachi restaurant down the street a couple weeks back, and I've been eating there all the damn time. Thing is, it costs me about $25 a plate. I'm thinking I could cook the exact same meal for about $12 or less if I knew how.

Medium steaks, grilled onions, zucchinis, brocolli, carrots, and bamboo, all tossed together on a big hot surface. Seems easy enough...

Gutwrench

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
My dad has 3(!!!), in different sizes and is always trying something new with them. He's made some tasty meats (brisket, turkey, chicken, ribs, pork tenderloin, chops, etc.) and extended to veggies, pizzas and even cookies as well. He's even taken some smoked beef sticks from a local meat company and re-smoked them which really kicks up the flavor.

As far as accessories, he has platesetters for indirect cooking, a temperature control (BBQ Guru), and a different chimney cap, as well as a couple various egg tables/stands and things like a pizza paddle.

Three? Wow.

I bought the platesetter and pizza plate. Pizza isn't high on my list but it can't be too hard (famous last words). There's a locally famous Italian restaurant/ deli very close to work that's sells premade pizza dough. I just need to let it rise.

I felt the platesetter was a necessity since smoking requires indirect heat.

I'm looking forward to roasting whole duck. That'll come in good time. I'm not a good cook or grill/smoker. I'm recently divorced and our daughter (who lives with me) is leaving for college this summer so I have plenty of time on my hands.

----------

A buddy of mine up in ATL is hardcore - he's on a team, competes, the whole nine yards. That's a little too gonzo for me, but as long as he cranking out the delicious eats, I'm good :D

Um, hit him up for tips and pass them along? And my X might be interested in that website. :)

----------

GOD, I'M SO HUNGRY NOW!

Total aside (sorta), but one thing I'd love to learn how to do is cook on an habachi grill.

I discovered a really good Habachi restaurant down the street a couple weeks back, and I've been eating there all the damn time. Thing is, it costs me about $25 a plate. I'm thinking I could cook the exact same meal for about $12 or less if I knew how.

Medium steaks, grilled onions, zucchinis, brocolli, carrots, and bamboo, all tossed together on a big hot surface. Seems easy enough...

I like sushi very much. That's another skill/hobby I'd like to tackle. I cook decent semi-authentic Chinese, compliments of my X. You might be able to cook the exact meal for less, but can you plop that shrimp into someone's pocket?

Gutwrench

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011

Renzatic

Suspended
I like sushi very much. That's another skill/hobby I'd like to tackle. I cook decent semi-authentic Chinese, compliments of my X.

I'm coming around to sushi. The thought of eating raw fish is kinda offputting, but when I started visiting this place, I figured I'd give it a go. What's the worst that could happen? Severe food poisoning? Hell, why not? I started out with California rolls, and have managed to slowly work my way up to spicy tuna.

It's been interesting. Not bad at all. Definitely different.

Though I gotta say, I don't think I trust my culinary skills enough to make it myself.

You might be able to cook the exact meal for less, but can you plop that shrimp into someone's pocket?

The only place that shrimp is going is in my mouth!

oldhifi

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2013
USA
Thanks much.

----------

What's the learning curve? I've read most of the product literature. Any suggestions for a new person?

OK first of all don't fill the egg all the way to the top with charcoal.

After cooking close off all vents, save charcoal for next time.

Use the grill matchsticks at your local grocer to light it. They are made for GRILL starting, NOT fireplaces.

Round out a hole in the center with your matchstick.

After fire starts and grill is hot with top off. For smoking I use about 1 inch air flow in the bottom and about 3/4 open on top.

For grilling steaks (1 inch thick) I sear at full flame for 2 minutes on each side. Then turn grill down as above. 20 to 30 minutes steaks are ready.

Last edited:

oldhifi

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2013
USA
I use Bad Byron's Butt Rub, I think its the best out there. Lightly cover ribs and chicken. Also I use Dales steak sauce for marinating. dalesseasoning.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.