Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hankkk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 3, 2015
I know there's lots of Apple fans (including me) who are patiently waiting for a new iPod to be released at some time. As Apple seems to be working on a revamped music service right now, including a streaming service, a newly designed music app for iOS and probably a new version of iTunes for Mac and PC, I think it would be the perfect time for them to release a new device to accompany the service. Here's why I think so:

1) If they want to promote their completely revamped music range it would make sense to offer a device that is perfectly integrated with the new offerings.

2) The iPod touch is currently the last iPod to support the current iOS version. If they decide to drop support for A5 devices this year, the current iPod touch would not be eligible for an update to iOS 9 which could include further changes to the music app. If this was the case, they would have not a single music player to fully support their music service anymore. It's also unlikely that other iPods such as the current iPod shuffle or iPod nano are able to work with the streaming service.

In my opinion, this leaves only a few options for Apple:

1) Offer a completely new device. They could simply name it "iPod" (just as they did with the new 12" MacBook) and it could replace the complete current iPod lineup. Maybe a thin and light device with a classic Clickwheel, WiFi, fast flash memory and a new OS (probably a special version of iOS) including the possibility to use the new streaming service and store the songs for offline playback. People still seem to love the classic iPod sillhouette and concept (hence the high prices for the iPod classic since it was discontinued) and Apple said it was only discontinued because the components weren't available anymore. But of course this is only one possibility for a new device, it could also be basically a new iteration of the iPod touch.

2) Update the current iPod lineup so they somehow work with the new service.

3) Drop the complete iPod lineup either immediately or let it slowly die.

I know this is completely speculative as we don't know anything for sure right now. I was just thinking that this is kind of a 'now or never' moment with the new music service coming up pretty soon. If they don't update the iPod lineup now (or introduce an all new iPod) it's pretty likely that it will be discontinued sooner or later. So what do you guys think? Is a new iPod or at least an updated lineup possible at all? What kind of a device would you Apple want to offer?

Smellmet

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2012
Goole, UK
As much as it pains me to say it the ipod classic is dead. Even if they re-released the last of the line 160GB model exactly as is, I would buy one without hesitation. It's a great device that does the job it was designed to do to perfection. Unfortunately, Apple thinks it knows how you enjoy your music better than you and wants to force you onto it's streaming service so it can constantly keep it's hands in your pocket.

Hankkk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 3, 2015
As much as it pains me to say it the ipod classic is dead. Even if they re-released the last of the line 160GB model exactly as is, I would buy one without hesitation. It's a great device that does the job it was designed to do to perfection. Unfortunately, Apple thinks it knows how you enjoy your music better than you and wants to force you onto it's streaming service so it can constantly keep it's hands in your pocket.

Well, I'm not particularly against streaming. I still buy the music I listen to on CD and Vinyl, but I think a streaming service can be a great way to explore new artists and to listen to an album before you decide to buy it. It can also be useful if some albums are simply not available for purchase (anymore) for example. All in all I believe a streaming service can be a great addition for every music lover. I just want it to be perfectly integrated with the software I use for my local music (iTunes) and the music player I use on a daily basis (iPod). This is why I think it could make sense to release an all new iPod that is designed to work with that new service. The iPhone just doesn't cut it (yet) as a music player if you listen to a lot of music everyday.

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

I completely agree with you, and your position resembles mine.

Personally, I'd love it if Apple released a new iPod, with the design delights of the classic, but suitably modernised (i.e. with a SSD drive and a decently capacious memory).

To be honest, I am a little sceptical about their excuse for discontinuing the device; I'm not sure that I fully believe the story about inability to source spare parts.

Rather, I think it more an attempt by Apple to radically transform how we consume and purchase and store music, by replacing what those of my generation know and love - buying vinyl, or CDs, and believing that you own the right to play this product when and where you please (as long as it isn't for profit), rather than the rentier model preferred by Apple and others as it is a lot more remunerative.

To the OP: To be honest, much as I would love it - and I managed to obtain an extra classic before the guillotine was trundled onstage to finish off that splendid device - I would be surprised if Apple produced a new iPod in 2015.

Now, if they did produce an iPod resembling the classic, but with a SSD memory of 128, or 256, I'd have my credit card out in a heartbeat to immediately order such a thing (the same credit card that has not been even consulted about, because I have no interest in, any possible purchase of the Apple Watch).

Last edited:
Reactions: orbital~debris

keithneese

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2014
Alabama

Personally, I'd love it if Apple released a new iPod, with the design delights of the classic, but suitably modernised (i.e. with a SSD drive and a decently capacious memory).

To be honest, I am a little sceptical about their excuse for discontinuing the device; I'm not sure that I fully believe the story about inability to source spare parts.

Rather, I think it more an attempt by Apple to radically transform how we consume and purchase and store music, by replacing what those of my generation know and love - buying vinyl, or CDs, and believing that your own the right to play this product when and where you please (as long as it isn't for profit), rather than the rentier model preferred by Apple and others as it is a lot more remunerative.

To the OP: To be honest, much as I would love it - and I managed to obtain an extra classic before the guillotine was trundled onstage to finish off that splendid device - I would be surprised if Apple produced a new iPod in 2015.

Now, if they did produce an iPod resembling the classic, but with a SSD memory of 128, or 256, I'd have my credit card out in a heartbeat to immediately order such a thing (the same credit card that has not been even consulted about, because I have mo interest in, any possible purchase of the Apple Watch).

I am in total agreement with everything you have written here. I just secured a used iPod Classic from the last place I expected to find one. GameStop had quite a few online, and I purchased one. Like you, scribe, I have a large music collection. Mine seems to grow by the week. I just want a device that plays music.

I keep hoping that apple will not kill off the product that brought me into the fold. If so, I may have to go outside of the Apple ecosystem to suit my musical needs.

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
It amazes me the hope of some of you guys. ;) Pretty much the deadline for a possible ipod touch 6 was last year's fall not this year.

Apple wants you to invest in an Apple's watch this year not an ipod touch.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
It amazes me the hope of some of you guys. ;) Pretty much the deadline for a possible ipod touch 6 was last year's fall not this year.

Apple wants you to invest in an Apple's watch this year not an ipod touch.

Agreed. I think you will see the iPod touch quietly discontinued this year.

albertfallickwa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2014

Rather, I think it more an attempt by Apple to radically transform how we consume and purchase and store music, by replacing what those of my generation know and love - buying vinyl, or CDs, and believing that your own the right to play this product when and where you please (as long as it isn't for profit), rather than the rentier model preferred by Apple and others as it is a lot more remunerative.

Now, if they did produce an iPod resembling the classic, but with a SSD memory of 128, or 256, I'd have my credit card out in a heartbeat to immediately order such a thing (the same credit card that has not been even consulted about, because I have mo interest in, any possible purchase of the Apple Watch).

Yes indeed. Apple Watch is the most pointless Apple device. Especially for music lovers like me.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I'd wait to see what happens at WWDC. Possibly the Nano will disappear and the Touch will get high storage capacities. I personally think WWDC will focus partially on a new focus on music, possibly with iOS 8.4 launching alongside an iPod Touch 6? Possibly in the same case as we have now (explaining the lack of leaks).

My other suggestion would be that it gets a bigger screen and thus it gets renamed iPad Nano or something.

I hope for the sake of people who really want an iPod Touch it does happen. People would buy it and it honesty would not cost Apple that much to do.

Apple is partially to blame for the collapse of the iPod.. Its done its best to make the touch unattractive- first by not updating the touch in 2011 and waiting till late 2012, then by putting already 1.5 year old guts into the new touch, then not updating that touch.

Last edited:

Hankkk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 3, 2015
I'm also skeptical regarding a new iPod to be honest. But I see it that way: the market for iPod seems to be declining for quite some time now. Yet I can hardly imagine Apple discontinuing the whole iPod line immediately as it is such an iconic product for the company. It doesn't make much sense to keep the current lineup though. The iPod touch will be outdated as soon as they drop iOS support for it. The iPod nano doesn't seem to have a target audience at all: those people who were going for a nano wanted a small device which was able to store a little bit of music to always have with them - as iPhone memory and spread increase there's pretty much no need for such a device. The only iPod worth continuing in its current form might be the iPod shuffle. Regarding this and considering that the iPod business is declining but not dead yet it would make sense for Apple to reduce their lineup and offer a single iPod for the core audience (and maybe keep the shuffle in its current form). This might be a completely new designed iPod resembling the iPod Classic in a modern iteration with music lovers as target audience as well as a redesigned iPod touch which can be marketed as an entertainment device, game console etc. I don't see them offering both of these devices as the iPod market is probably too small by now to justify costs for two new devices, but I think it's not entirely impossible that we see at least one of these (maybe alongside the current iPod shuffle) if they don't want to drop the iPod entirely yet.

mgipe

macrumors demi-god
Oct 6, 2009
CA
As usual, Scepticalscribe hit the nail on the head. Although I'm sure that the supply of tiny rotating HDDs is nearly non-existent now, the disk in the Classic could easily be replaced by a solid state flash version. I, too, would gladly pull out the credit card for a new iPod nano or similar with 128 GB or more of storage.

Streaming music is OK for what it is -- a vehicle for selling forgettable pop -- but it won't let you lose yourself in Quadrophenia on that long drive up the coast.

Apple's declining sales of music players may be a chicken or egg problem. With a saturated market, how do you expect to continue to sell product if you don't give customers something new to replace what they already have?

Smellmet

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2012
Goole, UK
Agreed. I think you will see the iPod touch quietly discontinued this year.

Then put simply, Apple will lose me as a customer forever. There's no objective reason why local music and streaming cannot co-exist. I've said it before on here and I'll say it again. What use are these services when I'm on a long drive in a rural area, or worse in another country (which I do quite often). The convenience of having my entire collection to hand in a device with a great battery life that requires no internet connection, let alone the data costs is an unbeatable combination. I am a music lover and I wish to listen to my music how I want.

yly3

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2011
Then put simply, Apple will lose me as a customer forever. There's no objective reason why local music and streaming cannot co-exist. I've said it before on here and I'll say it again. What use are these services when I'm on a long drive in a rural area, or worse in another country (which I do quite often). The convenience of having my entire collection to hand in a device with a great battery life that requires no internet connection, let alone the data costs is an unbeatable combination. I am a music lover and I wish to listen to my music how I want.

I have said the same thing in other topics as well.

I tried last year the Spotify offer for holidays, 3 months of Premium for .99
Even if you were a "hater" you would still try it to give it a fair chance.
I think I used for ..maybe.. 4-5 times in those 3 months.
I used it on both OSX and Windows Phone.

When Jobs presented the iPod (and when he was actually building it if you read the biography) he wanted as few steps as possible to getting to your music.
this interface of just a couple of clicks to get to my Albums list is what I so value about the iPod's UI.

Whereas the Spotify/YouTube feels cluttered, full of click-bait (sometimes ads) and very intrusive, "non-spiritual" (wherever that means).

But most people don't care, I still believe the streaming generation basically replaces the old 4-8-16gb iPod Nano crew, who used to buy it for ~800 songs library and never deal with it again forever.
I know lots of people and even relatives who did the same.

At the end, I accept its fate and I am grateful that the DIY world has provided us options all the way to 1TB iPods, it's better than nothing.
The UI is perfect, all I needed left was the storage, so I am happy personally.

Smellmet

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2012
Goole, UK
I still believe the streaming generation basically replaces the old 4-8-16gb iPod Nano crew, who used to buy it for ~800 songs library and never deal with it again forever.

Totally agree with this. It's like Netflix - I'll watch movies/shows on it that I'm not going to rush out and buy, but I'll still buy my favourite movies on Blu-Ray. Both methods running side by side in harmony. The key thing here is consumer choice.

My itunes library however is a 15200 strong collection of music that I've lovingly curated over ten years to the point that every album, year everything is filed correctly in it, and organised into 60+ playlists, I've even star rated every single song. It's one of my main hobbies/interests. I'm not giving that up for Spotify where you're at the mercy of the likes of Taylor Swift, who recently pulled all her music from there. This library is mine, and is as much a reflection of me as my big bookshelf that's stuffed full of 500+ DVDs/Blu-Rays. Just give us the choice, Apple. You can take my money.

leroypants

Suspended
Jul 17, 2010
The Ipod is dead and Apple is in the process of forcing everyone into using Beats or iTunes Match (which a is awful) instead of actually owning anything.

Hankkk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 3, 2015
The Ipod is dead and Apple is in the process of forcing everyone into using Beats or iTunes Match (which a is awful) instead of actually owning anything.

I don't understand why everybody seems to believe the introduction of a streaming service contradicts the development of the iPod. I also like to own my music, I buy a lot of music on CD or vinyl but in my opinion that doesn't rule out the advantages of a streaming service. It would be great to have a music device that's able to handle both local music and streamed music. That's why I think a new iPod that has the streaming service integrated could be a great device for anyone: People who just want to synch local music from their Mac/PC, people who use the streaming service and are then able to do this with their iPod and save playlists/songs/albums for offline playback and people who want to use both streaming and locally saved music on their iPod.

Smellmet

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2012
Goole, UK
I don't understand why everybody seems to believe the introduction of a streaming service contradicts the development of the iPod. I also like to own my music, I buy a lot of music on CD or vinyl but in my opinion that doesn't rule out the advantages of a streaming service. It would be great to have a music device that's able to handle both local music and streamed music. That's why I think a new iPod that has the streaming service integrated could be a great device for anyone: People who just want to synch local music from their Mac/PC, people who use the streaming service and are then able to do this with their iPod and save playlists/songs/albums for offline playback and people who want to use both streaming and locally saved music on their iPod.

That would be perfect, I'd purchase in a heartbeat.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Apple is partially to blame for the collapse of the iPod.. Its done its best to make the touch unattractive- first by not updating the touch in 2011 and waiting till late 2012, then by putting already 1.5 year old guts into the new touch, then not updating that touch.
iMO Apple is nearly completely to blame. You've given some of the reasons why. Apple excels at making products that people didn't think they needed and convinced them that the product was indispensable.

Bottom line, consumers can't buy a product that a company is not selling.

If Apple was so inclined, they could produce an iPod that was a "must-have".

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
iMO Apple is nearly completely to blame. You've given some of the reasons why. Apple excels at making products that people didn't think they needed and convinced them that the product was indispensable.

I'd tend to agree - Apple is great at making people dislike products.

jruschme

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
Brick, NJ

I think the indispensability problem is the issue. Apple has a lot invested in the idea that a person does not need/want to carry both a phone and and iPod- hence the iPhone. At this point, they would have to pull a "Coke Classic" move and create a iPod which is more compelling than the music functionality of an iPhone and get more than a vocal minority to buy into it.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I think the indispensability problem is the issue. Apple has a lot invested in the idea that a person does not need/want to carry both a phone and and iPod- hence the iPhone. At this point, they would have to pull a "Coke Classic" move and create a iPod which is more compelling than the music functionality of an iPhone and get more than a vocal minority to buy into it.
Over the past 20 years or so there has been a pendulum in consumer electronics that swings between converged devices and specialized devices. Converged devices (like smartphones) never did things as well as the specialized devices... merely "good enough".

We've seen it with smartphones. We're in the middle of that swing towards convergence with 2-in-1 hybrids (MS Surface, Lenovo Miix, Acer Switch, etc.). But with the introduction of smartwatches, there is starting to be a move back to specialized devices (for the tasks that smartphones consolidated). One of the reasons given for the pushback against smartwatches has been, "I use my smartphone for those things".

Apple hasn't jumped on the 2-in-1 consolidation (yet) because they still make a lot of money selling tablets AND notebooks. If the market shows that such converged devices are the next wave, THEN they'll follow.

If Apple were to produce a new iPod (I highly doubt it) it wouldn't be a "Coke Classic" move (which was a response to a marketing mistake), it would be consistent with them leading the pendulum back toward specialized devices. The aWatch just might be the first step toward that.

As much as I would love to buy a specialized portable media player (iPod not a general purpose iPod Touch) from Apple, it is extremely unlikely that they will produce one.

albertfallickwa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2014
Ugh that stupid Apple Watch is still grabbing most of the headlines here in the feed.

We seriously need a music player. My iPod classic has a loose click wheel now.

Hankkk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 3, 2015
Ugh that stupid Apple Watch is still grabbing most of the headlines here in the feed.

We seriously need a music player. My iPod classic has a loose click wheel now.

You're lucky to still own an iPod classic at all :(

I'm still happy with my Late 2009 iPod touch, but I keep on missing my old iPod classic..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.