Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nptski

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
newport beach, ca
I hate to be trivial, but I don't want a white computer and I want an iBook!
I really want to switch back from the "dark side". I started with a IIe through a Lisa to a Wallstreet with about 15 stops along the way. I believe Jaguar (soon Panther) will handily run VPC to run my real estate apps. TiBook is a bit big to be as portable as I need although it is beyond cool.

Maybe this great little workhorse (iBook) will sell even better with a better color(s)? Am I the only one? Apple, please switch (color)?

t^3

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2001
The outside color of the iBook can actually be changed, as there is just white paint on the inside of the clear plastic cover. I've seen some pictures around of people changing it to blue, red, etc., and I've even seen some beautiful custom made art designs too! The inside of the iBook (the area around the screen and keyboard/trackpad) can't be that easily changed, as it is the actual color of the plastic.

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
i changed my ibook outer shell to a opaque blue. i personanlly thought it was easy, but you may disagree... =) i was going to do a intricate design of chocolate and light caramel check, but what can i say, i'm lazy beyond the digital mock-ups i did...

i don't see apple going to various colors anytime soon, such as the days of the original imac and the clamshell ibook (is that the correct way to refer to them? i forget)

as for teh palm rest, there was a guy at the tokyo macworld expo 2 years ago selling clearn vinyl plastic palm rests. but i haven't seen them online anywhere....

of note also, here in japan, in most retailers that stock macs (that being most electronics shops, as they are quite popular) you purchase pre-designed lids. admittedly only for the top, but still, very cool. they come in zebra strips and camoflauge (spelling) among others... many funky apple accessories to be had here... such as the usb powered fan for cooling your ibook through the left vent =)

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Re: iBook case, does it have to be white?

Originally posted by nptski
I hate to be trivial, but I don't want a white computer and I want an iBook!
I really want to switch back from the "dark side". I started with a IIe through a Lisa to a Wallstreet with about 15 stops along the way. I believe Jaguar (soon Panther) will handily run VPC to run my real estate apps. TiBook is a bit big to be as portable as I need although it is beyond cool.

Maybe this great little workhorse (iBook) will sell even better with a better color(s)? Am I the only one? Apple, please switch (color)?

i like graphite myself and i hope apple will have that option in the future...its neutral enough that a lot of poeple will like it

zac4mac

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2002
near Boulder, CO. USA
I did that with my last iBook, a 12" 600Combo. The top is real easy to get off, and the paint comes off with Isopropyl alcohol. No scratches, but use it in a ventilated area. I had the same opinion as the guy from the link - why bother with the bottom.

Some dark silver paint and a TiBook keyboard(they're the same except color) and you've got a "mini-Ti".

Zack

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
I'd like to see graphite...or even dark blue. Black would be ok, but then it would mean Apple comformed to the norm.

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
Originally posted by Wren
I LOVE the white iBook.... it is as cool as ICE! I call it the ice!!

I love the movie Cool as Ice too...oh I mean...I love the white iBook as well.

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
Originally posted by JSRockit

I love the movie Cool as Ice too...oh I mean...I love the white iBook as well.

On a similar note, if you use your iBook as a tiny sled on an icy path you can achieve a "brushed" look that resembles the effect of steel wool. The only downside is that the gashes are deeper and your 'Book may not boot up after you finish. On the lighter side, this is more fun than spending your afternoon doing it by hand.

Anyone know if AppleCare supports sledding accidents?

On a serious note, thanks for links to sites with instructions. I may try this with mine.

Dan

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
IMO, I think the iBook looks best in white, and there are few other
colors that it could pull off. I mean, no offense to those with this
computer, the lime toilet-seat iBooks were extremely ugly. The
whole fruity flavors are out of style now. It is time for semi-transparent
colors like snow. I love how the iBooks are right now.

I hope apple keeps them that way. ;)

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
Yeah, some of the colors were hideous...but some could still be nice. I'd like a dark blue, graphite, black, and maybe even chocalate...go ahead laugh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.