Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
My wife suggested I take a batch of my pre-folded-by-me small filters and stick them in the glove box [of the family car]. :) That seems pretty prudent, since I'm sure in the packing chaos I'll forget them, and a Chemex without Chemex filters is a worthless piece of glass.

Speaking of: the factory pre-folded are the way to go, unless (as a reviewer on Amazon pointed out), "You're fond of doing origami in the morning"

I can't agree more: the folded ones are quicker to use (if only by a few seconds), but they also store more easily. The box is about the size of a large box of tea, or traditional filters. When they're unfolded, the box it like a giant flat package that doesn't really fit well into a pantry or cabinet.

Well, reading your earlier post, it struck me that it would be the sort of thing that one is all too likely to forget - rendering the Chemex itself pretty useless, as you have pointed out - and, unlike the standard coffee filters, these are not the sort of things one can just pick up at any half decent store.

I know that it is the sort of thing that I could possibly overlook (having packed everything else) - and then spend several hours of a subsequent journey mentally kicking oneself….

An excellent idea, by the way, to buy the pre-folded filters. No, I am not a fan of - or fond of - origami in the morning (and nor am I a fan of anything that requires too much independent thought in the morning).

When I finally do around to ordering a Chemex, I'll make sure to order them, as well, at the same time.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
An order of Blue Bottle coffee has been dispatched to me and should arrive by the end of the week.

This time they've sent a blend called Régulo de Rivas.
A delicate drip blend composed of three Costa Rican selections, the Régulo de Rivas is a sparkly riff on our other, sturdier drip blends. Rather than picking lots with a distinct profile in mind, our coffee sourcing team (with input from our Digital team) aimed for an ever-evolving interplay of flavors. In an appropriate twist, this coffee is available for online purchase only. What powers our indefatigable Digital team, anyway? What puts gas in their tank and allows them to code for arduous, eye-reddening stretches? To be honest, it’s probably some combination of smarts, willpower, and fancy ramen enjoyed in one of Oakland’s many tucked-away spots. But a well-brewed cup of the Régulo de Rivas never hurt.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
An order of Blue Bottle coffee has been dispatched to me and should arrive by the end of the week.

This time they've sent a blend called Régulo de Rivas.

Are you on their "blended" subscription? I've scored some single bags on occasion, but was thinking of setting up something like a bi-monthly sub.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Are you on their "blended" subscription? I've scored some single bags on occasion, but was thinking of setting up something like a bi-monthly sub.

Yes, I have been on the blended subscription. After this shipment I'm going to be on the 'origins' subscription for a while. I like to switch it up once in a while.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
This morning saw yet another offering from the Ethiopian Coffee Company opened: The coffee is 'Yirgacheffe Aricha Washed' and it is a lovely, smooth, rich, complex, and clean tasting coffee. Yum.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
So we're taking one of our many trips to Universal and decided to take some supplies to make good coffee this time around :D

The small Chemex (the behemoth will stay at home), Hario grinder (pictured ~20 posts above), a bag of beans ... I just needed a way to heat water. I didn't want to use the gross room coffee maker (Keurig) water and the rooms at the Royal Pacific don't have microwaves. Something small enough where our kit won't take up that much room.

A post a made several pages back about a "coffee travel kit" (from a technical writer I follow) mentioned a 1 Liter Proctor Silex electric kettle so I scored one (through the magic of Amazon it was delivered on Sunday).

So here's the travel kit ready to go:

17250475966_a87f074df0_b.jpg

In the the kettle are the beans, cord, and grinder handle, filters folded and tucked into the small Chemex.

If you were _really_ trying to optimize space (we're driving, plenty of room in the bags), I believe you could fit the grinder into the kettle (since it comes apart, into two pieces) should still have room for the cord, and coax the beans into the Chemex, maybe move the filters into the kettle (they don't really take up any appreciable space). So you'd need just the space required by the kettle and the Chemex! Also, if you're able to score some local beans, that simplifies things even further.

:cool:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
So here's the travel kit ready to go:

In the the kettle are the beans, cord, and grinder handle, filters folded and tucked into the small Chemex.

If you were _really_ trying to optimize space (we're driving, plenty of room in the bags), I believe you could fit the grinder into the kettle (since it comes apart, into two pieces) should still have room for the cord, and coax the beans into the Chemex, maybe move the filters into the kettle (they don't really take up any appreciable space). So you'd need just the space required by the kettle and the Chemex! Also, if you're able to score some local beans, that simplifies things even further.

:cool:

Very impressively compact, and a fitting tribute to your keen organisational skills.

Enjoy the trip.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Very impressively compact, and a fitting tribute to your keen organisational skills.

Enjoy the trip.

It worked terrifically well ... !

The Royal Pacific recently remodelled their rooms (at least the top few floors), and the new layout had a nice desk/working space, with lots of outlets (including USB finally), so it made for a nice coffee station :D

The kettle with warmish water and about 1/2 the volume we use with the bigger Chemex is only 3-4 minutes to a boil, about the same time it takes to manually grind the right amount of coffee. We had +delicious+ coffee, right in our room in about 5-6 minutes.

The wife has become a total Chemex convert too, so she was thrilled to have a really good cup right when we woke up. :cool:

The park - as always - was a blast. The weather even played nice, even though the forecast had indicated otherwise.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

The Royal Pacific recently remodelled their rooms (at least the top few floors), and the new layout had a nice desk/working space, with lots of outlets (including USB finally), so it made for a nice coffee station :D

The kettle with warmish water and about 1/2 the volume we use with the bigger Chemex is only 3-4 minutes to a boil, about the same time it takes to manually grind the right amount of coffee. We had +delicious+ coffee, right in our room in about 5-6 minutes.

The wife has become a total Chemex convert too, so she was thrilled to have a really good cup right when we woke up. :cool:

The park - as always - was a blast. The weather even played nice, even though the forecast had indicated otherwise.

Sounds brilliant; and I am delighted that you had a good time while away. Above all, I am delighted that you portable coffee not only worked, but that you were able to produce great coffee with it.

Actually, I had never though of a Chemex as a portable form of coffee making. However, even in a domestic setting, I must say that it is one of the coffee making methods that is increasingly intriguing me. I get the impression that it gives a very clean, bright tasting cup of coffee.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene

Perfect. Traveling with a Chemex, what an inspiration. :D

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

The French Press, or Hario dripper, (plus filters) have always been my emergency travel kit, as they are both pretty much idiot proof. More to the point, they are robust, and are pretty reliable (and forgiving) as well.

However, - once I have acquired and mastered the details of how to get the best out of a Chemex - I must admit that I would seriously contemplate adding that to my coffee making repertoire, - at home, first, and abroad, possibly later, as well.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
The French Press, or Hario dripper, (plus filters) have always been my emergency travel kit, as they are both pretty much idiot proof. More to the point, they are robust, and are pretty reliable (and forgiving) as well.

However, - once I have acquired and mastered the details of how to get the best out of a Chemex - I must admit that I would seriously contemplate adding that to my coffee making repertoire, - at home, first, and abroad, possibly later, as well.

My portable coffee setup is a press and hand grinder, and I do love pressed coffee. However, the clean cups that come out of a Chemex are the perfect preparation for my favorite (and dare I guess yours too) coffees: the Ethiopian Yirgacheffes. So, the idea of preparing a portable chemex setup is intriguing, desirable....

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
My portable coffee setup is a press and hand grinder, and I do love pressed coffee. However, the clean cups that come out of a Chemex are the perfect preparation for my favorite (and dare I guess yours too) coffees: the Ethiopian Yirgacheffes. So, the idea of preparing a portable chemex setup is intriguing, desirable....

Clean tasting cups, yes, are most desirable - and, I agree, this is indeed one of the advantages of the Chemex, and also possibly the very best way to demonstrate and highlight the clean, bright joys of Ethiopian Yirgacheffe coffee at its best.

However, before that desirable state of affairs can be achieved, or aimed for, one has to master the actual pouring of the water into the coffee grounds in a Chemex- which, I am given to understand, is a slightly more complicated matter than with the faithful Hario dripper.

Now, I also understand that the old saying does tell us that 'practice makes perfect'. However, my Chemex (if and when I get one - probably when, rather than if) will not be travelling anywhere until I have fully and thoroughly mastered the basics of that water pouring…..

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Clean tasting cups, yes, are most desirable - and, I agree, this is indeed one of the advantages of the Chemex, and also possibly the very best way to demonstrate and highlight the clean, bright joys of Ethiopian Yirgacheffe coffee at its best.

However, before that desirable state of affairs can be achieved, or aimed for, one has to master the actual pouring of the water into the coffee grounds in a Chemex- which, I am given to understand, is a slightly more complicated matter than with the faithful Hario dripper.

Now, I also understand that the old saying does tell us that 'practice makes perfect'. However, my Chemex (if and when I get one - probably when, rather than if) will not be travelling anywhere until I have fully and thoroughly mastered the basics of that water pouring…..

Fair point, it does take some time and effort to learn it well enough to be able to do it mindlessly. It's been a while since I've used one, and I don't current own one. I'd probably find myself in the same boat.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Sounds brilliant; and I am delighted that you had a good time while away. Above all, I am delighted that you portable coffee not only worked, but that you were able to produce great coffee with it.

Actually, I had never though of a Chemex as a portable form of coffee making. However, even in a domestic setting, I must say that it is one of the coffee making methods that is increasingly intriguing me. I get the impression that it gives a very clean, bright tasting cup of coffee.

FYI, I did wind up trying (such is my nature...) the Hario grinder packed =in= the kettle and it fit just fine. So my travel kit could be as compact as the space required for just the kettle and the small Chemex. In a large roller, it didn't even register on the available space, and even in a carry on size, it probably just means one less pair of shoes :D

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
FYI, I did wind up trying (such is my nature...) the Hario grinder packed =in= the kettle and it fit just fine. So my travel kit could be as compact as the space required for just the kettle and the small Chemex. In a large roller, it didn't even register on the available space, and even in a carry on size, it probably just means one less pair of shoes :D

Count me rather impressed.

That is what my mother (in the days before she lost her proverbial marbles) would have regarded as as excellent example of her legendary problem solving skills - intelligent packing, clever use of space, and remembering to bring what is needed. As I said, count me impressed…..

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Found an interesting article on a science site I follow, looks like the folks in the ISS can enjoy espresso and get a boost in productivity and some civilised earth pleasures.

http://space.io9.com/life-on-the-space-station-just-got-infinitely-more-civi-1701872121

A new espresso maker and unique zero-gravity cups are bringing new luxury to the International Space Station. Today at 12:44 GMT, astronaut Samantha Cristoforetti enjoyed the first space-brewed espresso, and she had an awe-inspiring view while doing it.

Another article discusses the science of making a good cup in zero gravity.

http://space.io9.com/the-mechanics-of-making-espresso-in-space-1591572598

We've come a long way from instant coffee. ;)

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Found an interesting article on a science site I follow, looks like the folks in the ISS can enjoy espresso and get a boost in productivity and some civilised earth pleasures.

http://space.io9.com/life-on-the-space-station-just-got-infinitely-more-civi-1701872121

Hehe, figuring out how to pull a shot in zero g? Excellent. Thanks for the links. :D

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit

Hehe, figuring out how to pull a shot in zero g? Excellent. Thanks for the links. :D

I saw that too recently. Pretty neat to get espresso in space!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

I saw that too recently. Pretty neat to get espresso in space!

Fantastic story; that is really brilliant. Wow - an espresso in space.

For STNG fans, (and I class myself as one, and - a as kid, I used to fantasise about being able to live and work in that sort of life), and espresso lovers (guilty, too, m'lud), this is an expression of aspirations that would have me simply drooling…..

Thanks for the links, and thanks, too, for sharing.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
As I was playing host to both brothers over the week-end - this coincided with both the May Public/Bank Holiday (one of those EU wide ones) and the tenth anniversary of my father's death (hence further extended family gatherings), I opened one of my as yet unexplored offerings from Intelligentsia.

This is the 'Anjilanaka' from Bolivia, an organic coffee, which was smooth and sweet and eminently quaffable.

The tasting notes use adjectives such as 'dried apricot', 'almond butter' and 'sarsaparilla'. As a European, the last mentioned was not something I had ever heard of, so thank God for the internet, and an itch - mental - best described as insatiable intellectual curiosity.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
And, as I am now beginning to run somewhat low on coffees, now may be the time to consult certain websites, and peruse what they have to offer.

As mentioned earlier, I was pretty impressed with what the Ethiopian Coffee Company had to offer, and will take a fresh look to see what newer stuff has become available since I last dealt with them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.