Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Recoil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2002
Dual 2Ghz PowerPC 970
1Ghz DDR2 Ram 128-bit or 256-bit
1Ghz Bus
Serial ATA150 with 4 ports
Hypertransport north/south bridges
Redesigned sound
Geforce-FX+
8X AGP
PCI-X
Firewire 800
USB 2.0
two independent Ethernet controllers
Run it all on hypertransport

Price 1999.99 without the monitor.
If anyone at apple comes here and reads the forum. This is what you need to do! I'm not kidding. This is what people want to see. If I was in control at apple I would have this out at the start of the summer. This would take apple to another level,but then I woke up. The truth is, Apple can not take it to another level. They will always be at 5% of the market and no higher.

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
Re: This is what I would do with Apple..

Originally posted by Recoil
Dual 2Ghz PowerPC 970
1Ghz DDR2 Ram 128-bit
Redesigned sound
Geforce-FX+
8X AGP
PCI-X
Firewire 800
USB 2.0

If anyone at apple comes here and reads the forum. This is what you need to do! I'm not kidding. This is what people want to see. If I was in control at apple I would have this out at the start of the summer. This would take apple to another level,but then I woke up. The truth is, Apple can not take it to another level. They will always be at 5% of the market and no higher.

People might want to see it, but you realize its actually impossible right. The 970 doesn't exist yet. When it does, its scheduled to debut at 1.8 ghz. Apple has absolutely no control over this. They would be putting out a lot of this if it wasn't for other parties involved.

That said, apple definiltey has some room to make their machines much more competitive, particularly in the pro market. Some of the things you suggest should be on the powermacs, and I rather suspect they will be soon enough. Some of its a pipe dream though.

obstaclelobster

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2002

Dual 2Ghz PowerPC 970

etc etc..

They will always be at 5% of the market and no higher.

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/591?page=last&x-showcontent=text

I dont think this is really what the "general populace" wants. I think Apple is definately on track with their concept of the digital hub for the consumer market (the corporate market, the real moneymaker, is a totally different, stodgy story). The populace wants a computer that's stable, runs all the programs they want (which is mostly Internet Browsing, IM services, Office, email, and increasingly programs like iPhoto and iMovie for family things) and is the best for the price point. What kind of programs would even require the processing power you describe? Games and Maya, that's about all I can think of. With all that raw power, its just pure overkill for what applications and hardware are out now. I can transfer full D1 quality video on my reconditioned Powerbook 500 that was made in April 2000, and I'm happy. I think a lot of people tend to forget that computers are made tools for doing what you want (I personally love the Mercedes comparison in the link above).

Apple is a company that (I think) is happy with their market share, as long as they can continue to be innovators and risk takers. They like what they're doing, and yes need to back up on the innovation to survive around that 5% margin. BUT they are helping people explore their own capibilities. Personally I believe that Macs should be standard campus fare. I always wondered if OS X was also a sneaky attempt to get apple hardware into places that run engineering/sciencey programs that traditionally ran on unix boxes.

But anyways, with my Powerbook, right out of the box, I can:

Edit D1 quality video
run a webserver
Manage a photo album collection
Manage a music collection, rip CDs etc
Browse the internet
get Mail
Use an IM service
program in C/Perl (with devTools)

Do i need Dual 2gig processors to do all that? No. Am I happy with what I have? Most definately.

oblob

obstaclelobster

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2002
my own personal dream for MWSF

Just for fun, my own dream for Apple...

Apple announces a partnership with Cisco systems and Sprint PCS (or the appropriate innovators in Broadband/Wireless networking) to develop OS X and Apple hardware as platforms for "communications hardware", meaning tablet PCs that run on a nationwide wireless network. The PCs all run on OS X and have integrated IM, mail, file transfer and storage and sharing (linked through SQL type or iTunes type file management databases), video conferencing and voice conferencing and whiteboard, and internet browsing capibilities.

the name could be iReach.

the central model of PC computing is slowly dying....

nanosound

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2002
It's always nice to dream.

I would love to get a tower in the next few months. I'm afraid it will fall short of these specs.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001

While you have the ability to create things out of thin air... why not a Gazzilion Ghz PPC and price it at $1?

arn

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
Re: Re: This is what I would do with Apple..

Originally posted by arn

While you have the ability to create things out of thin air... why not a Gazzilion Ghz PPC and price it at $1?

arn

I have to agree with Arn here. I mean, apple tries its best to
satisfy customers, when they know they are behind in many
categories. They want to produce a 'Gazzilion GHz PPC' just
as much as we want one, but them reading about how much
we want it isn't going to make it possible. Don't expect that
computer till a while from now. :(

macmax

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2002
caribbean
Hi, merry christmas to you all!!
What about having a better bus drive.
I think it makes a big difference and if you watch the (argghhh) pc world you will see how fast the bus drives have become.

macmax

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2002
caribbean

Dual 2Ghz PowerPC 970
1Ghz DDR2 Ram 128-bit
Redesigned sound
Geforce-FX+
8X AGP
PCI-X
Firewire 800
USB 2.0

Price is the only major backup for people, i mean it is the most powerful reason for not getting a Mac.
At least that is what my thesis about Apple is showing up.

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
OK, how about this one...

iBook enclosure, but no screen (keyboard on top), no battery or trackpad, enlarged to fit regular 3.5" hard drives.
CD-ROM and 20GB hard drive.
128MB RAM.
1.2 GHz Sahara G3.
Mobile Radeon graphics chipset with 32MB VRAM, VGA video connector only.
USB, Firewire, Ethernet.
Price? $399.

iapple

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2001
this kind of topic..

I'm afraid I have to say this kind of topic is quite useless, as arn has mentioned..

Lets be realistic with the pricing and the specs and what people really need.

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
Re: OK, how about this one...

Originally posted by cubist
iBook enclosure, but no screen (keyboard on top), no battery or trackpad, enlarged to fit regular 3.5" hard drives.
128MB RAM.
1.2 GHz Sahara G3.
USB, Firewire, Ethernet.
Price? $399.

I might be into something like this... but it would cost more...maybe $599.

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC

Originally posted by macmax

Price is the only major backup for people, i mean it is the most powerful reason for not getting a Mac.
At least that is what my thesis about Apple is showing up.

That isn't as true anymore. Any comparible PC laptop to the TiBook is well over $2000 as well. And the iBook at $999 has no competition. PowerMacs...you may have a point. Alot of times you are paying for Apple's aesthetics...and that is no different from any other product on the market when it comes to price. If you like the pretty one, most of the time you spend more $$$.

Chomolungma

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2002
Santa Fe, NM

Originally posted by obstaclelobster

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/591?page=last&x-showcontent=text

I dont think this is really what the "general populace" wants. I think Apple is definately on track with their concept of the digital hub for the consumer market (the corporate market, the real moneymaker, is a totally different, stodgy story). The populace wants a computer that's stable, runs all the programs they want (which is mostly Internet Browsing, IM services, Office, email, and increasingly programs like iPhoto and iMovie for family things) and is the best for the price point. What kind of programs would even require the processing power you describe? Games and Maya, that's about all I can think of. With all that raw power, its just pure overkill for what applications and hardware are out now. I can transfer full D1 quality video on my reconditioned Powerbook 500 that was made in April 2000, and I'm happy. I think a lot of people tend to forget that computers are made tools for doing what you want (I personally love the Mercedes comparison in the link above).

Apple is a company that (I think) is happy with their market share, as long as they can continue to be innovators and risk takers. They like what they're doing, and yes need to back up on the innovation to survive around that 5% margin. BUT they are helping people explore their own capibilities. Personally I believe that Macs should be standard campus fare. I always wondered if OS X was also a sneaky attempt to get apple hardware into places that run engineering/sciencey programs that traditionally ran on unix boxes.

But anyways, with my Powerbook, right out of the box, I can:

Edit D1 quality video
run a webserver
Manage a photo album collection
Manage a music collection, rip CDs etc
Browse the internet
get Mail
Use an IM service
program in C/Perl (with devTools)

Do i need Dual 2gig processors to do all that? No. Am I happy with what I have? Most definately.

oblob

I'm in the bioresearch field and we often run a simple software that search for pattern in DNA matrix. We use macs and PC. Average time for a search could take second or days (even weeks). Unfortunately, the search we like to perform often takes days. I like a computer that can reduce this time down to say several hours.

On the home front, I would love to edit my video intelligently. For example, turning the light down in a scene to make it look more gloomy than it really is, but at the same time keep the bright light focus on the subject. This simple thing can be easily envision in our minds, but takes lots of interface interactions and only the pros in Hollywood can do. I want computer that respond and do human commands. I don't want to use a mouse to edit a pic using Photoshop 10 or 20 years from now. I want the computer to interact with me to make the photo better without the fuss and time (sort of like working with a super fast Photoshop pro, but it is my computer). I want to be able to play the net version of SIM that possess extraordinary graphics and sounds that can be mistaken for the real thing.

obstaclelobster and all those that thinks computers and communication infrastructure today can do these things. Show it to me.

"apple is happy with 5% market share"....What is the F**Kin point of running a business just to survive? If you yearn for state run factories, may I suggest emmigrating to say Cuba or North Korea or Vietnam

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
Re: Re: Re: This is what I would do with Apple..

Originally posted by Chomolungma

"apple is happy with 5% market share"....What is the F**Kin point of running a business just to survive? If you yearn for state run factories, may I suggest emmigrating to say Cuba or North Korea or Vietnam

I don't rellly see the connection between 5% market share and state run factories. DO you really think 5% market share is just "surviving". thats a lot of business. Enough busienss that several manufaturers would kill to have it, in all sorts of markets. 5% is pretty good. apple has publically said it thinks it can double its market share, and whether true or not, thats what they are working towards. They don't seem to have any designs on getting huge, and good for that. There's something to be said for a smaller company thats profitable and nimble, rather than a giant that is bogged down and loses money. Whats the point of large market share if you aren't making money? Isn't that, afteralll, what america and capitalism is about. the state run factories of the countries you mention control a lot more and don't make near as much money probably.

Chomolungma

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2002
Santa Fe, NM
Re: Re: Re: Re: This is what I would do with Apple..

Originally posted by strider42

I don't rellly see the connection between 5% market share and state run factories. DO you really think 5% market share is just "surviving". thats a lot of business. Enough busienss that several manufaturers would kill to have it, in all sorts of markets. 5% is pretty good. apple has publically said it thinks it can double its market share, and whether true or not, thats what they are working towards. They don't seem to have any designs on getting huge, and good for that. There's something to be said for a smaller company thats profitable and nimble, rather than a giant that is bogged down and loses money. Whats the point of large market share if you aren't making money? Isn't that, afteralll, what america and capitalism is about. the state run factories of the countries you mention control a lot more and don't make near as much money probably.

Most companies are in constant state of advance or decline in market share in addition to changing economic conditions. As an investor, I want to see them expand, but the bottom line is increase profit. Huge company does not always equate to large profit.

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001

If I was in control at apple I would have this out at the start of the summer. This would take apple to another level,but then I woke up. The truth is, Apple can not take it to another level. They will always be at 5% of the market and no higher.
Oh yeah? If I were in charge at Apple I would have a 5Ghz Quad Processor Powermac for $999 that includes 2 monitors out before the end of the week.

Take that!

springscansing

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2002
New York
Re: OK, how about this one...

Originally posted by cubist
128MB RAM.
1.2 GHz Sahara G3.
USB, Firewire, Ethernet.
Price? $399.

*gasp*

Why didn't I think of that? ...

That's like seriously a good idea. Just... a keyboard with a slot-loading CD-RW drive, make it 256 RAM (SDRAM is like 2 dollars nowadays, especially for Apple I'm sure), 1ghz G3, mobile radeon, hm.. with whatever connecters you need for apple's flatpanels. A keyboard computer + flatpanel would be the most attractive system in existance. 2 USB, 1 firewire, ethernet.

Hm.. I don't see why they couldn't do that for 699. Now if they could hit 599... it would be crazy popular. A very fast computer for the price, and with the most astounding form factor in the history of computers. At only 699, who cares if you cannot upgrade it. Throw it away in 3 years and get another one.

Let's face it... how cool would it be to run OS X and play Ghost Recon on your keyboard? haha

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
Re: Re: OK, how about this one...

Originally posted by springscansing

*gasp*

Why didn't I think of that? ...

That's like seriously a good idea. Just... a keyboard with a slot-loading CD-RW drive, make it 256 RAM (SDRAM is like 2 dollars nowadays, especially for Apple I'm sure), 1ghz G3, mobile radeon, hm.. with whatever connecters you need for apple's flatpanels. A keyboard computer + flatpanel would be the most attractive system in existance. 2 USB, 1 firewire, ethernet.

Hm.. I don't see why they couldn't do that for 699. Now if they could hit 599... it would be crazy popular. A very fast computer for the price, and with the most astounding form factor in the history of computers. At only 699, who cares if you cannot upgrade it. Throw it away in 3 years and get another one.

Let's face it... how cool would it be to run OS X and play Ghost Recon on your keyboard? haha

A PC like this already exists. I can't remember where I saw it, but I know I did see something like that a few months back.

primalman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
at the end of the hall
Re: Re: Re: OK, how about this one...

Originally posted by strider42

A PC like this already exists. I can't remember where I saw it, but I know I did see something like that a few months back.

Yeah it exsists, and it did soooo long ago, at least in its concept form....the Amiga. And the previous Commodores. And now some cheapo PC place is making them for the space-concious crowd.

Decent idea, but a headless iMac would be better I think. Dumb it down a little to save some $.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.