Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

albertfallickwa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2014
With vinyl becoming popular again in today's music biz, I am curious whether this contributed to the demise of our beloved iPod classic. :(.

I love vinyl too. However it's just a lot easier to bring a lot of tunes around my beloved iPod classic.

Theories?

Mak47

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
With vinyl becoming popular again in today's music biz, I am curious whether this contributed to the demise of our beloved iPod classic. :(.

I love vinyl too. However it's just a lot easier to bring a lot of tunes around my beloved iPod classic.

Theories?

No. The iPhone killed the iPod. While there is a group of people who like to have a portable device that holds all of their music, the majority are content to hold a significant amount--which the iPhone does perfectly well. Additionally, being able to access and download or stream all of your iTunes purchases directly from the iPhone makes storing everything largely irrelevant. If one uses Spotify, Beats or any other streaming service, this is even more apparent.

Vinyl is becoming popular because it offers a different experience for music fans. Kids that grew up on the iPod are now adults, they have their own homes and have a desire for a better experience with their music. They aren't limited on space anymore and have more disposable income.

People will continue to use their iPhones to play music on the run, but vinyl will likely be the format of choice for permanent collections and home listening.

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2011
The iPod lost the spotlight because of a natural movement by consumers. It's easier to carry one device that acts like a swiss army knife in terms of functionality than to carry a device for phone calls, and another device for music, and another device for reading ebooks, ect.

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015

Theories?

Come on, don't make me laugh....vinyl...sure is replacing everything, cassettes and VHS on the way too...;)

Streaming is the present...beats this year and goodbye Spotify.

ApolloBoy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2015
San Jose, CA
Uh no, especially considering they can be mutually exclusive. I've got a decent-sized vinyl collection and I usually wind up ripping my LPs so I can listen to them on my computer or iPod.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Apple killed the iPod with the iPhone and also by not updating the iPod.

Yes, this....I can carry my entire current collection on my 128GB iPhone 6 no problem. Quite a few things will have to change with streaming before it displaces local storage at least with me. ;)

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Yes, this....I can carry my entire current collection on my 128GB iPhone 6 no problem. Quite a few things will have to change with streaming before it displaces local storage at least with me. ;)

I refuse to do streaming... I don't have the data and I prefer to have the stuff with me.

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
As an ex vinyl head, this current wave is yet another fad. It'll be here today, and largely gone tomorrow.

Yes I like the artwork (why digital files can't seem to come with decent large front cover artwork is beyond me circa 2015!), yes I like the feel (seeing touching smelling the stuff, and the feel of queuing it up makes me quite nostalgic).

BUT, really the lack of convenience is THE major flaw in physical media. I still have ~2k records (used to have 3 times that) and never really listen to them as they're not easy to get to when I desire to listen to something. And having moved several times in recent years, dealing with them when moving home is an absolutely MASSIVE pain in the backside – both in terms of effort (packing them and breaking backs moving them in the process as they weigh an absolute TON!) and cost (decent moving packaging adds up, as does the hardcore shelving they require).

If you want to spend money on expensive music, buy lossless of some kind (CD or better). Storage is becoming cheaper and more plentiful each year or so, and bandwidth availability for Tidal-esque lossless streaming similarly. I have most of my stuff not on vinyl digitised to ALAC in iTunes now with multi-TB's of centralised storage available to grow (and for back-ups!).
That's the future for audio heads, as it's the music quality that matters, not the medium the stuff happens to be on. Vinyl is not better, just different, in sound quality terms (dare I say "warm", lol!), mainly because they need separate mastering to the vinyl format. But that's a dying art form anyway as labels/artists don't have the money for such frivolity in this day and age, to serve the minor sales they'd get on vinyl.

If you're starting out the vinyl journey, please stop NOW. Trust me, you won't regret it when the true cost, effort, and lack of convenience of vinyl record ownership hits you later on down the road!

/here endeth thy rant!

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Vinyl is great. The sound quality is excellent and it's just a lot of fun to "spin records" but it doesn't have anything to do with the demise of the iPod Classic. I enjoy vinyl when I want to just lie back on the couch and take in the music, but it is not portable. I still have a huge iTunes collection and use Deezer as well so most of my music listening is digital, but vinyl will certainly always have it's place.

Formats have came and gone, but vinyl will always live on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.