Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
I believe this is reported earlier, but not the torrent download Thanks. Here's to more sweet updates real soon.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
Good. I wonder how fast those i/Mac/Book Pros run this game!

Through Rosetta iMac got only 8 fps :D

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
I can't wait! I already downloaded the update, all I need to do now is buy UT 2004 for Mac, I have it for my PC but, now I'll be able to play it on my new intel iMac. I played the demo in Rosetta which was bad but, I have high expectations for this! :D I wish more places other than the Apple Store sold Mac software, oh well, maybe I'll convince my brother to take me there today :D

topgunn

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2004
Houston
Barefeats has benchmarks of the new Universal version of Unreal on the Intel iMac. In Unreal benchmark, the Core Duo 2.0GHz outscores the 2.1GHz G5 80 to 56 fps.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
topgunn said:
Barefeats has benchmarks of the new Universal version of Unreal on the Intel iMac. In Unreal benchmark, the Core Duo 2.0GHz outscores the 2.1GHz G5 80 to 56 fps.
Oh...my...god... I'm going to get this now! weee! :D

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
topgunn said:

Well, if this is true, then its awesome!!!

BTW which resolution they used in Ut2004 Bridge of Fate? My iMac (17 inch 2 GHz, 1.5 GB RAM, Radeon 9600 128 MB) gets 35 fps @ 1440x900

*EDIT oh i see they ran those tests @ 1024x768*

I wonder how many FPS new intelMacs get in Starcraft? :D

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
Keep in mind when comparing the different iMacs, the new ones have vastly better graphics cards, so can't compare the processors at all.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
ZildjianKX said:
Keep in mind when comparing the different iMacs, the new ones have vastly better graphics cards, so can't compare the processors at all.

Note, that UT is a very CPU-bound game as you can see in flyby/botmatch tests

Littleodie914

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Wow that's amazing! (The speed in an earlier post.) Could somebody with one of the Intel iMacs download the demo and run it just to make sure it's not a hoax? And depending on how fast (or slow) it runs on the new iMacs, how would this compare approximately to the speed on the MacBook? Thanks! ;)

Littleodie914

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
A second note... How about the performance of the Intel iMacs in Halo? I was checking out the barefeats.com review that contained the specs for UT2k4 and even when running under Rosetta, the iMac CD 2.0 scored 22fps on average. That's not too bad at all, if you ask me... I play medal of honor on my iBook at sometimes 15-20 in the outdoor levels and I'm very impressed with the speed. Once these games get optimized and "universalized", I can't wait to see how fast they get!

(MacBook Pro for college, here I come! :) )

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
Littleodie914 said:
Wow that's amazing! (The speed in an earlier post.) Could somebody with one of the Intel iMacs download the demo and run it just to make sure it's not a hoax? And depending on how fast (or slow) it runs on the new iMacs, how would this compare approximately to the speed on the MacBook? Thanks! ;)

The high-end MBP (1.83Ghz) should be the about the same as low-end (17 inch) iMac, since they have the same specs

jeffy.dee-lux

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
montreal
is there a way to get this patch to fix the demo for intel as well? I only have the demo, don't want the full game, at least not until i see how the demo performs when its running natively. Do we just have to wait until they release a universal demo?

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
jeffy.dee-lux said:
is there a way to get this patch to fix the demo for intel as well? I only have the demo, don't want the full game, at least not until i see how the demo performs when its running natively. Do we just have to wait until they release a universal demo?

They might release UB demo, but I really dont think they will.

BTW you will not see a single framerate drop on the new intel-based machines, so go get this awesome game and have fun! :)

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
It runs great!

After I heard the news I went out and bought a copy of UT 2004 from my local Apple Store. I installed it on my iMac, updated it with the patch. And set the settings on the highest they would go...the result? A lot of fun. The game runs almost perfectly, I've only gotten minor hiccups when playing full-screen on the highest resolution with everything on high. If I down one level in the screen resolution everything is perfect. I'm running it on my 20" 2ghz Intel iMac with 2gb of RAM with the upgraded 256mb ATI card.

The game runs great, and this is only on the first patch! I can't wait for more updates or fixes, this game continues to be one of my favorites. :D

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
ˆ Damn.. I'm strugling to get hold of a copy. No apple store's near me and Apple Online Store doesnt have them.. Is there any website that does shipping to Europe with mac games, new and secondhand?

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2004
Peoria/Chicago, IL
eXan said:
The high-end MBP (1.83Ghz) should be the about the same as low-end (17 inch) iMac, since they have the same specs
Except you get 256 VRAM on the MBP. I'm sure it won't be a huge factor but it could help.

LimeiBook86 said:
After I heard the news I went out and bought a copy of UT 2004 from my local Apple Store. I installed it on my iMac, updated it with the patch. And set the settings on the highest they would go...the result? A lot of fun. The game runs almost perfectly, I've only gotten minor hiccups when playing full-screen on the highest resolution with everything on high. If I down one level in the screen resolution everything is perfect. I'm running it on my 20" 2ghz Intel iMac with 2gb of RAM with the upgraded 256mb ATI card.

The game runs great, and this is only on the first patch! I can't wait for more updates or fixes, this game continues to be one of my favorites. :D
That's great to hear. I'm tempted to go out and buy the game myself just to try it out. It's nice to see Macs finally catching up to PC's in the gaming side of things.

chibianh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2001
Colorado
LimeiBook86 said:

that's great to hear! What FPS rate are you getting?

Malfoy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
I didn't think there were that many UT players here. We all need to get in a game sometime.:cool:

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
While playing on DM-Antalus with no bots, with everything on high my average FPS were around 60. I got all the way down to 42 and then all the way up to 96 in some spots. This was with no bots though. The only time it went to 42 was when I was splashing in the water shooting the mini-gun all over the place and twirling the mouse around like crazy. When I had a few bots on it was still very playable but, there was a little slow-down for a second or so once and a while but, that's ok because it was hardly noticeable.

I just turned down my resolution one notch and then everything ran smooth with no problems at all. Again this is only the first patch, so I supposed we can get more intel updates/fixes along the way. :D Happy gaming

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2004
Peoria/Chicago, IL
LimeiBook86 said:
I just turned down my resolution one notch and then everything ran smooth with no problems at all. Again this is only the first patch, so I supposed we can get more intel updates/fixes along the way. :D Happy gaming
I've also heard the X1600 drivers aren't that great right now either. So hopefully with updated drivers and patches things could get much better.

Joeytpg

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2004
Vienna, Austria
hi, guys now that i see you talking about U.T. universal binary, i'm having a little problem. I have U.T. 2004 and i was able to play it fine in my powerbook g4 running Panther, but now i try to install it on my new iMac g5 running Tiger and i can't even install it, after it asks me to enter the Code, it won't start the installation, instead it just closes. Any ideas/help?

thanks

Schmittroth

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2003
NYC, Astoria-Queens
Joeytpg said:
hi, guys now that i see you talking about U.T. universal binary, i'm having a little problem. I have U.T. 2004 and i was able to play it fine in my powerbook g4 running Panther, but now i try to install it on my new iMac g5 running Tiger and i can't even install it, after it asks me to enter the Code, it won't start the installation, instead it just closes. Any ideas/help?

thanks

http://www.macsoftgames.com/products/ut2k4/support/MacSoft-UT2K4-Support.html

Download the updated installer here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.