Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

supercooled

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
I have been playing this game since it came out almost on a daily basis. It's just one of those games that's easy to get into fast and get your fix. My issue is it keeps crashing on me and the odd thing is sometimes I can go for hours without it crashing and other times it crashes 5 or 10 minutes into it and on average about a couple of times an hour.

I think it may be the mods I have installed.

Fun game. Let me know if you see me on steam, my handle is: emperor underwear stains.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Playing it since it came out too. Try to fresh install and back it up. Test one Mod at a time. I have not had it crash once so the product is solid. Only wish L4D 3 would ship.

MasConejos

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
Houston, TX
I host LAN parties occasionally and L4D2 is one of the highlights. I have a modded server that lets us play with more than 8 players. It's always a blast.

MasConejos

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
Houston, TX
So are there duplicate characters and is the difficulty upped with 8 players?

Yeah, on mine at least, the lobby is disabled (lobby only supports 8 players) and when you join the game you get assigned a random character. We play versus, so there are more infected players too. I don't know how well it would hold up in tournament or other rigid setting, but for casual play, it's a chaotic blast. The survivors rarely reach the safehouse in my games, so it's mostly a matter of trying to make it as far as possible, then switching sides and trying to prevent the other side from making it as far. Most of the time, with some consideration to team balance, the finalscores are fairly close.

Note that my LAN parties have a lot of casual gamers and not many play FPS, so take that into account. I try to keep the game selection more arcade/action type games with low penalties for dying (short downtime). L4D2 is the most "complicated" thing we play, but even the ones who are not very good at FPS's really like L4D2. It's the highlight.

If anyone is curious, games we play include:
  • Babo: MadBalls
  • Garrison Gang 2 (2D side scrolling de-make of TF2)
  • Galcon Fusion
  • Armagetron
  • L4D2

We used to play DOTA, which was a lot of fun because only one person had ever played it and we were otherwise all equally bad. After about 4 or 5 parties I had to drop it though, because skill stratification started kicking in and that game is very frustrating when skill levels are not equivalent.

Also note that I have a mix of macs and PCs, so everything on this list is multi-platform, and all of these (except L4D2, which can be fixed with modding) support at least 12-16 players, if not more. My parties usually have 8-12 people.

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2013
My main fps since years but since i have switched to Macbook Air, i couldnt play it anymore
I am experienced fps player, always preferred to get performance over graphisms but even in lowest settings, it doesnt run smoothly, too many lag
If you guys have strong experience with Mac gaming settings, fee freel to share to me
Notice i play on Boot Camp Windows 8.1

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Loved it back with the original release. Haven't played it in over a year. My fallback quick fix game is still TeamFortress2.

ataricrypt

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2015
England
Hi all, this is one of my favourite games. Awesome fps action across cool maps. It's olde.. but it's still a goldie imho :)
Steve

flehman

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2015
I play it a lot too. Easy to jump in and out when you aren't in the mood for an rpg grind. I play mostly normal and some advanced - my handle is Cheapdate.

asesino79

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2013
I have been playing this game since it came out almost on a daily basis. It's just one of those games that's easy to get into fast and get your fix. My issue is it keeps crashing on me and the odd thing is sometimes I can go for hours without it crashing and other times it crashes 5 or 10 minutes into it and on average about a couple of times an hour.

I think it may be the mods I have installed.

Fun game. Let me know if you see me on steam, my handle is: emperor underwear stains.

I add you. I'm fabiodrums.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.