Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kgenova

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
Hi everyone. I have to say that I am exceedingly impressed with the Imos Corning Glass screen protector. It is hard to get on, and at .55 mm, it does add noticeable thickness to your iPhone and limit your case choices considerably. However, it is just so nice! In my opinion, it beats the feel of the original iPhone touch screen glass--the oleophobic coating is outstanding and the surface of the screen protector is slippery smooth. Plus, other than the additional thickness it adds to the screen, it looks like it is an original part of the iPhone, rather than a screen protector stuck on top. I love the Imos!

Here are some pictures of it on my 6 Plus, and my YouTube review/install video:

Imos Solid EX 3D Corning Gorilla Glass for iPhone 6+- Front Bottom View.jpg

Imos Solid EX 3D Corning Gorilla Glass for iPhone 6+- Front Top View.jpg

Imos Solid EX 3D Corning Gorilla Glass for iPhone 6+- Front View with Screen On.jpg

Imos Solid EX 3D Corning Gorilla Glass for iPhone 6+- Side View with Screen On.jpg

Imos Solid EX 3D Corning Gorilla Glass for iPhone 6+- In Story Leather Back Cover Case.jpg

Thanks!

Kristin

scjr

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2013
Another great review, Kristin! ##

Were you able to try some of your cases with it?

kgenova

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
Another great review, Kristin! ##

Were you able to try some of your cases with it?

Thanks! Case compatibility is, of course, the drawback with this screen protector. However, of the cases I have, it works with the Kavaj Dallas and Kavaj Tokyo, the Story Leather Pebbled Leather Back Cover (pictured in the images I posted), and the Doc Artisan Sport Leather Wallet Combo Case. I think it should also work with an InnerExile Hydra case I just received for review (that case is listed on Imos's website as compatible), but I haven't tried it yet. It almost works with the Magpul Field Case, but not quite. However, this may be because my installation is a teensy bit off to one side. If I had managed an absolutely perfect install, the Magpul might work.

Kristin

6thDAY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
I can indeed confirm that the iMOS WORKS with the Magpul. I have both on right now.

The key is, as you mention Kristin, is to ensure the installation is almost perfect!

My installation was near perfect except in the bottom portion, where the screen is probably 1 mm more to the left. The top portion with the earpiece and camera hole is aligned perfectly.

However, I had to constantly lift the sides with my fingernails more than a dozen times to remove the bubbles that I ended up with some dust underneath, as well as some stupid bubbles on the top right that won't go away.

I just ordered another one from GoProtect, because I cant stand looking at it. Yup $120+ :eek::mad:

kgenova

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
I hear you about the install--somehow this type is screen protector-- the curved gorilla glass kind--is just a lot harder to get a perfect install with than screen protectors like the iLoome or Aegis. And those bubbles can be maddening. But I was able to get them all out on both my Imos installs and I think the screen protectors look marvelous.
It's good to know that the Magpul works with the Imos. I thought it might. Mine works great except for one spot in the top left corner.

scjr

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2013
If you remove the iMOS, does it leave any adhesive on the screen?

boba7523

macrumors regular
May 14, 2011

No it does not leave any adhesive on the phone, I took it off after I dropped my phone..

My phone fell out of my hand last night and I tried to catch it but ended up hitting it with my hand and making my 6+ fly 15 ft across the floor :mad:.. It hit the concrete floor and slid across to a stop, i held my breath upon picking it up...
1cwodLq.jpg

All I can say is the 0.55mm 9H corning gorilla glass came in handy... no damage done to phone, I think without the screen protector my phone would've been a goner..:cool:

6thDAY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
Kristin,

Any suggestions you might have on how I can remove this stubborn bubble from my iMOS?

I've tried for hours circling it and it would disappear, giving me faith, then 1 minute latter it gradually appears again as if toying with me. :mad:

IMG_0051.jpg

It's been 2 days now, and I don't wait to lift up that side edge for fear of dust.

The weird part is this is my 2nd iMOS for my 6+, and the SAME bubble appeared in the same spot while I was able to get rid of the other bubbles. I was constantly lifting the side edges to push out the bubbles but that stubborn one just kept appear that eventually I got a bunch of small dust underneath.

I vowed to not do it again, and I'm starting to think that maybe there's something wrong my 6+ near that corner.:eek:

boba7523

macrumors regular
May 14, 2011
Kristin,

Any suggestions you might have on how I can remove this stubborn bubble from my iMOS?

I've tried for hours circling it and it would disappear, giving me faith, then 1 minute latter it gradually appears again as if toying with me. :mad:

It's been 2 days now, and I don't wait to lift up that side edge for fear of dust.

The weird part is this is my 2nd iMOS for my 6+, and the SAME bubble appeared in the same spot while I was able to get rid of the other bubbles. I was constantly lifting the side edges to push out the bubbles but that stubborn one just kept appear that eventually I got a bunch of small dust underneath.

I vowed to not do it again, and I'm starting to think that maybe there's something wrong my 6+ near that corner.:eek:

Try pushing in a different direction or leave it for a day and come back to it.

And dust will probably make it even worse for getting rid of bubbles. I suggest you to get some packaging tape and removing the dust before continuing..

frifra

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2008
Try to quickly put your finger on that bubble, like typing on a typewriter.
I am not sure you can do the same thing with the pen as you might damage the glas.

Maybe your iPhone is a little bent one way or the other.

scjr

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2013
Kristin,

Sit in indirect sunlight with your phone for a few minutes. After you feel the phone has gotten somewhat warn, hold that area down for a couple minutes. Repeat, if necessary. This worked for me on a stubborn bubble area. Worth a shot.

Last edited:

6thDAY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
Sit in indirectly sunlight with your phone for a few minutes. After you feel the phone has gotten somewhat warn, hold that area down for a couple minutes. Repeat, if necessary. This worked for me on a stubborn bubble area. Worth a shot.

That is a good suggestion.

I was thinking of leaving the phone on for an hour or so, but didn't think it would get warm enough.

I will try your suggestion.

It just pisses me off that for such an expensive protector, it's this hard to get rid of the bubbles.

You would think the cheaper ones are more difficult.

scjr

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2013

I was thinking of leaving the phone on for an hour or so, but didn't think it would get warm enough.

It just pisses me off that for such an expensive protector, it's this hard to get rid of the bubbles.

Give it a try. It doesn't have to get that hot.

kgenova

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013

Sorry to be so slow to respond! I can totally empathize with your difficulty in removing bubbles from the Imos. With both Imos screen protectors I installed, it took me over an hour of misery to get out all the bubbles. My fingers were sore afterwards! I used the prescribed pen cap method as well as the 'press hard and push the bubble with your fingernail' method, which I'm not at all sure is an approved method. In my case, it didn't appear to do any damage and it did seem to help with the bubbles. I think the suggestions of heat and of pushing the bubbles from different directions are good ones. I tried the alternating directions and it seemed to help. I haven't tried the hot phone method, but it seems like it could work. For what it is worth, my daughter suggests that you try playing some resource intensive game on your iPhone, preferably in an area with poor cellular service--the poor iPhone is bound to heat up then!

It is odd that your bubble has shown up in the same place on two different screen protectors. Is it just the same corner, or does it appear to be exactly the same spot? Is it possible that that area is somehow not as clean as the rest of the iPhone? Just guessing here...

If I were you, I'd reach out to the place you bought the Imos from and explain to them what is going on. Maybe they'd play nice and send you another one, given that you've already bought two from them.

Good luck!!

Kristin

----------

I just took off my Imos this evening and I agree that there is no adhesive residue left behind after removal. I was so sad to remove the Imos, but I have other things to review--other screen protectors as well as cases that would never fit with the Imos in a million years. I miss my Imos already!!

Kristin

----------

Kristin,

Of the screen protectors you've tested, would you say this is your favorite next to the Cinder?

Absolutely. I think the Imos is excellent. It's just too thick for most cases, which is problematic for a serial case-switcher like me.

Kristin

6thDAY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
Sorry to be so slow to respond! I can totally empathize with your difficulty in removing bubbles from the Imos. With both Imos screen protectors I installed, it took me over an hour of misery to get out all the bubbles. My fingers were sore afterwards! I used the prescribed pen cap method as well as the 'press hard and push the bubble with your fingernail' method, which I'm not at all sure is an approved method. In my case, it didn't appear to do any damage and it did seem to help with the bubbles. I think the suggestions of heat and of pushing the bubbles from different directions are good ones. I tried the alternating directions and it seemed to help. I haven't tried the hot phone method, but it seems like it could work. For what it is worth, my daughter suggests that you try playing some resource intensive game on your iPhone, preferably in an area with poor cellular service--the poor iPhone is bound to heat up then!

It is odd that your bubble has shown up in the same place on two different screen protectors. Is it just the same corner, or does it appear to be exactly the same spot? Is it possible that that area is somehow not as clean as the rest of the iPhone? Just guessing here...

Kristin

Actually Kristin, on both iMOS, I never used the cap of a sharpie to remove the bubbles. All I used was cloth provided by one of my old screen protectors, and I used my thumb apply pressure to the spots (minutes at a time).

It took about probably 12 hrs to remove all the bubbles.

I went from the picture below to the picture above by just applying pressure with my thumb.

IMG_0044.jpg

Even though its 9H hardness, I didn't like the idea of circling a small area with a sharpie cap as I was still afraid of it scratching, or the oleophobic starting to wear.

However, I did use a sharpie for that top right corner, and still nothing.

I'm not sure if there was an issue with both iMOS or if its that top right corner.

However, I will say that my CoolReal as well as iLoome Glass Protectors did not have the bubbling near that corner.

Here is a picture of my first iMOS with the same issue:
IMG_0028.jpg

If I were you, I'd reach out to the place you bought the Imos from and explain to them what is going on. Maybe they'd play nice and send you another one, given that you've already bought two from them.

Good luck!!
Kristin

I highly doubt they will help me. I bought it from the same place you did, GoProtect. They rarely answered any of my emails, and I just emailed them this morning with this issue, with no reply back yet.

Their customer service sucks!

kgenova

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
Actually Kristin, on both iMOS, I never used the cap of a sharpie to remove the bubbles. All I used was cloth provided by one of my old screen protectors, and I used my thumb apply pressure to the spots (minutes at a time).

It took about probably 12 hrs to remove all the bubbles.

I went from the picture below to the picture above by just applying pressure with my thumb.

Even though its 9H hardness, I didn't like the idea of circling a small area with a sharpie cap as I was still afraid of it scratching, or the oleophobic starting to wear.

However, I did use a sharpie for that top right corner, and still nothing.

I'm not sure if there was an issue with both iMOS or if its that top right corner.

However, I will say that my CoolReal as well as iLoome Glass Protectors did not have the bubbling near that corner.

Here is a picture of my first iMOS with the same issue:

I highly doubt they will help me. I bought it from the same place you did, GoProtect. They rarely answered any of my emails, and I just emailed them this morning with this issue, with no reply back yet.

Their customer service sucks!

I'm sorry! I actually haven't dealt with GoProtect (I got my review sample directly from Imos in Taiwan) but they sound very frustrating to deal with.

I am generally very gentle with my iPhone, but I found I really had to get tough with the Imos to get all the bubbles out. Lots of rubbing, considerable pressure, fingernails, etc. I will say, however, that when I was finished, there was no perceptible damage to the screen protector or oleophobic coating. In your case, as you plan to get another screen protector anyway, why not be a bit more aggressive? You don't have anything to lose:)

Anyway, so sorry to hear of your (very expensive) screen protector woes. I hope you can manage to get that last little bubble out!

6thDAY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
I'm sorry! I actually haven't dealt with GoProtect (I got my review sample directly from Imos in Taiwan) but they sound very frustrating to deal with.

I am generally very gentle with my iPhone, but I found I really had to get tough with the Imos to get all the bubbles out. Lots of rubbing, considerable pressure, fingernails, etc. I will say, however, that when I was finished, there was no perceptible damage to the screen protector or oleophobic coating. In your case, as you plan to get another screen protector anyway, why not be a bit more aggressive? You don't have anything to lose:)

Anyway, so sorry to hear of your (very expensive) screen protector woes. I hope you can manage to get that last little bubble out!

Hmm, for some reason I thought you bought it from GoProtect, sorry about that.

Did you buy it from Connect2U? They have excellent customer service and reply very quickly. Unfortunately they are more expensive and shipping is too long.

I actually was planning on keeping the iMOS on my 6+ because I got the $50 2x CINDER, one for my 6 and one for the 6s+ (assuming that's the name and its the same size as my 6+ :)

That's why I want to get rid of this STUPID bubble!

I'm gonna try using one of those binder clips and clip it to the bubble area, put a cloth underneath, and leave it for the night.

611_VIqwdcq_L_SL1038.jpg

I hope it disappears tomorrow *crosses fingers*.

If not, I'll try to play an intensive game like your daughter mentioned.

Thanks Kristin!

kgenova

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
Hmm, for some reason I thought you bought it from GoProtect, sorry about that.

Did you buy it from Connect2U? They have excellent customer service and reply very quickly. Unfortunately they are more expensive and shipping is too long.

I actually was planning on keeping the iMOS on my 6+ because I got the $50 2x CINDER, one for my 6 and one for the 6s+ (assuming that's the name and its the same size as my 6+ :)

That's why I want to get rid of this STUPID bubble!

I'm gonna try using one of those binder clips and clip it to the bubble area, put a cloth underneath, and leave it for the night.

I hope it disappears tomorrow *crosses fingers*.

If not, I'll try to play an intensive game like your daughter mentioned.

Thanks Kristin!

No, I dealt directly with the manufacturer, in Taiwan. No resellers were involved.

Binder clip method sounds a little scary--hope it's not too tight! But I understand your frustration--bubbles are mega annoying. Let us know how it turns out!

Kristin

frifra

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2008
Did you have the phone in a case the whole time?

When you try to remove the bubble, take it out of the case first.

z06gal

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2011
I received mine today and I must say, it is the best screen protector I have ever tried. I used a sharpie to help with the problem areas and what seemed to help the most was putting pressure on the display directly behind the bubble. I have one small one left in the bottom left of the screen but it isn't really visible so I am good with it. I love the look and feel of it and it is as responsive as the actual screen. The fit and finish is excellent in my opinion. Highly recommend it :)

6thDAY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
I received mine today and I must say, it is the best screen protector I have ever tried. I used a sharpie to help with the problem areas and what seemed to help the most was putting pressure on the display directly behind the bubble. I have one small one left in the bottom left of the screen but it isn't really visible so I am good with it. I love the look and feel of it and it is as responsive as the actual screen. The fit and finish is excellent in my opinion. Highly recommend it :)

3 questions:

1. Where did you get yours from?

2. Did it come with a color home button ring?

3. I'm guessing you didn't have one of those stupid stubborn bubbles like I did?

z06gal

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2011
3 questions:

1. Where did you get yours from?

2. Did it come with a color home button ring?

3. I'm guessing you didn't have one of those stupid stubborn bubbles like I did?

I bought it from GoProtect and they shipped it 2nd day air which was nice. No color home button ring. As for the bubbles, I was a bit overwhelmed at first but I had a lot of success using the sharpie while applying pressure to the screen in the area right beneath the particular bubble. I only had issues on the edges, mainly the top. It took me about an hour to get them sorted out. The last one I have is bottom left on the very edge and I am considering using a hair dryer on low to see if I can squeeze it out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.