Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fab04

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2013
Bumping Lexvo's List

From what I've read on various websites:
- Hiarcs
- Shredder
- Chess pro with coach
- tChess pro
- Stockfish: free (open source), but a very strong engine

All these are very strong and will defeat any average player easily. Of course you can set the strength to your liking.

Chess pro with coach and tChess pro are universal binaries for iPhone and iPad.
You have to buy separate copies of Hiarcs and Shredder if you want to play chess on iPad and iPhone.

tChess pro has no landscape mode

My advice would be: get Stockfish if you just want to play chess. It is free, but very good, much better than other free and paid apps. Then if you want more specific features, purchase one (or more) of the other apps.

If you want to play remote with others:
- Social chess
- Chess - play and learn

Well so far this is the best list on the thread, vouching for it as I came here looking for the same, & after checking out all the suggestions this has all the mains covered.

Just adding one more;

If you're after a good-looking board
  • iChess 3D (which is what i'm about to install)

Otherwise great job all around pinpointing apps, signed up to the forum in appreciation. Cheers :)

chessmeister

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2014
CHESS MEISTER for iPad

hello — i've spent the last three years writing a chess engine and an interface for the iPad — not a strong engine (only about 1400 ELO) — but a good two player game with beautiful graphics — it is the first app to solve the problem of two player — the pieces turn to face whose turn it is — and allows a lively game dynamic between two people sharing a single iPad.

available on the app store as of oct.26.2014 — give the CHESS MEISTER a try • https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/chess-meister/id928343910?ls=1&mt=8

best regards from toronto island,
john penner (author of pChess for OSX and chess meister for iPad)

:)

pedregosa

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2010
chess.com

I have used chess.com for a few years to play over the Internet with friends and strangers. Their free version meets most needs. OK interface, no glitches. Perhaps most important, it's cross-platform -- your opponents can play on Android or or via Web browsers on Macs and PCs. Upsell efforts to paid premium version mildly annoying, but not excessive. Occasionally I think of paying to reward them for their efforts!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.