Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

avkdm

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2012
Just got my hands on a late 2012 i7 2.3 quad Core with SSD installed.
Just upgraded to 16gb from 4gb and couldn't be happier.
Picked it up swiftly and cheaply considering the popularity of the quad core.

tjay76

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2015
I got one!!

Yes, the day arrived and now have a mac mini!

It's the entry level one, as that is all I could afford, so have finally ditched windows (aside from my server, but thats another project!)

hkoster1

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2012
The Netherlands
Headless file server

My new base model Mac Mini has just shipped. It's no powerhouse, of course, but more than up to its intended use as headless file server with its strong points 2x Thunderbolt-2, 4x USB-3.0 and 802.11ac wifi.

That slow 5400RPM HD is a weak point, though, reason why I'll swap it for a 250GB Samsung 850 EVO the day my Mac Mini arrives. In fact, I just finished putting the Install OS X Yosemite.app on the SSD. That'll save me €185 on the Apple BTO option with 250GB SSD (that - it is true - would also have given me additional RAM and CPU power for which I have no use).

A similarly-equipped Intel NUC would be cheaper, but wouldn't have the TB2 port(s) to handle my TB2-based external storage.

I can hardly wait to get it going! Now how do I change my sig...?:)

silentthunder77

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2005
Just ordered a brand new 2.6 i5/8GB/256GB using Education pricing from the Apple Store.
This will be my always-on machine for iTunes streaming as well as general productivity stuff. I was debating bumping to 16GB memory but cannot justify the cost. I don't do video or photo editing.
I have a 27" UHD monitor, trackpad and keyboard already, and will probably get a 256GB SSD external drive to add some capacity.

I have a similar situation to you. Just wondering how your experience has been with the computer? Have you opened Word up to see how the performance is there?

silentthunder77

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2005
2.6/8 gb/256

Hey everyone. I just ordered my new machine last night, can't wait! Scheduled delivery is 5/29. Thanks to everyone on this forum for providing valuable insight into helping pick the right one. I feel very confident that I'm going to really enjoy it!

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
2.6 8gb 256 ssd

Just ordered a new mid-range 2.6 8GB 256 SSD Mac mini from MacMall for delivery tomorrow. Really excited. I have never had a decent desktop setup (I live with a family member who has a base 2011 mini that is pretty slow, and I am transitioning from a 2006 iMac). This should last me for years, and when I decide to move on to another machine I will most likely just use this in my classoom.

This was a real debate between my usual MacBook setup vs a desktop setup, but considering how much I use my iPad, I went with a desktop setup. Then it was a matter of the top-of-the-line Mac Mini with Fusion Drive, or the midrange model with SSD.

I just purchased this monitor from Amazon to go with it for delivery tomorrow. Does anyone have experience with this monitor?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K7CMY8C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
Well, it arrived this morning, and I love it. It came without any flaws and is flying, just as I expected it to with the SSD. Can't wait to use it for years. If you are considering a 2014 version, please opt for an SSD and 8GB RAM. You will be happier as time passes.

Sadly, I can't say the same for the ViewSonic monitor I mentioned in my last post. There are gaps between the casing and the bezel where light leaks through very noticeably and also what appears to be a stuck gray pixel or dust. I immediately contacted Amazon for a replacement and they will be shipping it out shortly. I really hope the replacement arrives in perfect condition, because otherwise it really is a beautiful monitor for the price.

Happy with my new setup, but still have to figure out how I'm going to manage the outlet and cords since now I have a couple more cords than I did with the old iMac.

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
I have a similar situation to you. Just wondering how your experience has been with the computer? Have you opened Word up to see how the performance is there?

Performance is very subjective of course, but so far the only time I have seen a beach ball (for only 1 second) was with Quicken 2014 of all things. Quicken really is ***** software, but I've been using it for years.

The 27" UHD monitor is a mixed blessing. Using 1920 x 1080, everything is super clear but you don't have a huge amount of real estate. Using full UHD and all the elements become really small (duh) and I have to squint a little even from 18" away. Increasing text size here and there helps a little.

Very happy with the Mac mini though. The 2.6/8/256GB SSD is the sweet spot for performance and value (and the ever-important 'future-proofing') I think. Word/Excel/Outlook all run more than quickly enough for me.

Last edited:

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
Zowie !! booting from an external ssd.

Listen kids, don't try this at home on a windows computer.
REF: Late 2014 Mac Mini, 2.6 intel core i5, 1tb hard drive, 8gb ram.
I acquired a 128gb ssd from a Dell repair. They sent it back with the repaired computer as they replaced the ssd drive.
I bought an enclosure to retrieve the pix and documents that were on it.
When done I thought to my self... self, you really ought to boot from this device if possible.
I reformatted that windows disk to os x and proceeded to download Yosemite.
after consulting with google a time or 2, I have got an unbelievably fast machine. WOW. I used migration assistant after it was over and I've got my original system back, but running much faster.
How sweet.
I bought the mid level Mac Mini. in retrospect I should have upgraded to an ssd.
I tried all this because I basically had a left over ssd card and could. I just can't believer how easy it was to do, and that it actually worked.
This is like getting a new computer. If anyone has doubts, got for it if you can.

Reactions: Cape Dave

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
I bought the mid level Mac Mini. in retrospect I should have upgraded to an ssd.

Yes, a hard disk drive was never in the cards for me after using iPads and MacBook Airs. It's such a dramatic difference that I really see no way that someone would willingly go back to a hard drive after experiencing an SSD.

I was contemplating a Fusion Drive on the mid level Mac Mini I just bought, but instead went with the SSD since Fusion just seems like a transitionary technology until SSDs become standard and still has moving parts that can fail.

Really loving this computer, and hope you enjoy yours just as much. It's been years since I've had a nice desktop setup. It has gotten me back at my desk that was collecting dust instead of opting to do my work on the couch or in bed while at home!

Reactions: ron7624

rvs007

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2011
Canada
I was contemplating a Fusion Drive on the mid level Mac Mini I just bought, but instead went with the SSD since Fusion just seems like a transitionary technology until SSDs become standard and still has moving parts that can fail.

The Fusion Drive for the Mac Minis are actually 2 drives (1 SSD & 1 HDD) working in tandem and controlled by Mac OSX. There's nothing special with the 2 drives.

xieem

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2014
Brussels
Just bought my Mac Mini (Late 2014) with 2,8ghz Intel Core i5 / 8gb & 256gb Flash Storage.

Not happy with the fact that it's crashing nearly daily.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
Yes, a hard disk drive was never in the cards for me after using iPads and MacBook Airs. It's such a dramatic difference that I really see no way that someone would willingly go back to a hard drive after experiencing an SSD.

Really loving this computer, and hope you enjoy yours just as much. It's been years since I've had a nice desktop setup. It has gotten me back at my desk that was collecting dust instead of opting to do my work on the couch or in bed while at home!
Since getting the MacMini, I've started working for an outfit that is an internet business. Along with the job came a maxed out MBA :D
Talk about fast! I'm just now fully appreciating the world with SSD's
Out with the old and in with the new!!!!

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Since getting the MacMini, I've started working for an outfit that is an internet business. Along with the job came a maxed out MBA :D
Talk about fast! I'm just now fully appreciating the world with SSD's
Out with the old and in with the new!!!!
Yeah, SSD's are fantastic. Once I got my first one, I went and swapped out every HDD in all of my machines, Mac and PC with SSD's.

The new Mac mini I just got this week came with an SSD and its' super fast.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
Hmmm, I don't use my pc that much anymore. Im not wanting to go the cloning route, although I've been successful in the past doing that. It's just not worth it. But all future purchases will be SSD's for sure. I cant see myself ever buying a new PC. I used to store everything on my hard drive but now use usb 3.0 enclosures for my older songs and vids. Eventually SSD's will become cheaper and have larger capacities as well.

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

ptdebate

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2014
Dallas, Texas
I picked up the 2.8GHz i5 model with 8GB RAM, a fusion drive, and Iris graphics. I paid $899 for it by pricematching Microcenter at Fry's.

I really love it so far! It's a general purpose computer that I also planned to use for playing Civilization 5 and other strategy games with my friends.

I did have some hesitation spending $900 on a computer that still has no discrete graphics.

To my surprise, Civ 5 runs well at medium-low settings at full resolution on my 30" Cinema Display (2560 × 1600). StarCraft II runs at medium settings at full resolution and Diablo III, a more GPU-intensive game, is better left on 1920 x 1200 if you plan to run at medium-or-higher quality.

The speed of the fusion drive has been very impressive. The difference between PCI, SATA SSDs, and SATA HDDs is immediately felt. The Minis are still a great buy--possibly even more than ever due to the reduced price.

Reactions: Celerondon

Celerondon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2013
Southern Cal
I picked up the 2.8GHz i5 model with 8GB RAM, a fusion drive, and Iris graphics. I paid $899 for it by pricematching Microcenter at Fry's.

I really love it so far! It's a general purpose computer that I also planned to use for playing Civilization 5 and other strategy games with my friends.

I did have some hesitation spending $900 on a computer that still has no discrete graphics.

To my surprise, Civ 5 runs well at medium-low settings at full resolution on my 30" Cinema Display (2560 × 1600). StarCraft II runs at medium settings at full resolution and Diablo III, a more GPU-intensive game, is better left on 1920 x 1200 if you plan to run at medium-or-higher quality.

The speed of the fusion drive has been very impressive. The difference between PCI, SATA SSDs, and SATA HDDs is immediately felt. The Minis are still a great buy--possibly even more than ever due to the reduced price.
That package with 8Gb of RAM, FD, and Iris graphics is sweet. You are well under $1000 with no mandatory upgrades pending.

tibas92013

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2013
Costa Rica
That package with 8Gb of RAM, FD, and Iris graphics is sweet. You are well under $1000 with no mandatory upgrades pending.

Just bought from the On-Line Apple Store a Refurbished i5 Mac Mini 2.8Ghz(late 2014) with 8GB RAM, 256 SSD and Iris Graphics for $1014 which included sales tax and Apple Care(AC).

This is my 2nd Mac Mini as I bought from the On-Line Apple Store a Refurbished i5 2.5 GHz(late 2012) with 4GB Ram and a 500GB HD in August, 2013 along with AC . Last January I upgraded the RAM to 16GB and I plan on buying a external SSD in the near future. This has been one great machine but what a difference in speed velocity using the Internal SSD on my new machine.

I now will have a fully functioning Mac Mini in each of my two Bedrooms!

Last edited:
Reactions: Celerondon

SpacemanSpiffed

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2013
Pacific NW
Got a refurbished i7 2.6Ghz, 4GB Ram/1TB (2012) the last time they popped up. I was crazy lucky with my timing on checking out the refurb store. On its way are a 16Gb RAM kit, iFixit Drive doubler Kit, Samsung 1TB SSD, and 2TB 2.5" HDD. This one will get a fair amount of use as a developer machine, running the dev environment in a Win7 VM, debugging OS X apps via TCP+GDB (instead of using 2 machines), so the beefy specs are actually justified. I've done this setup before for work, and it really needs the extra 2 cores.

It will be the third mac mini in the house, and my 5th personally. I really love the Minis.

Last edited:

Suzatlarge

macrumors member
May 4, 2008
Colorado
Last week I got the mid-range off-the-shelf mini at MicroCenter for $599 (yay!). It's the 2.5 i5, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD.

It's replaced my great old 2008 24" iMac that's still functioning well - but can't keep up with my hobbies that include using Photoshop and Lightroom. :(

The good news: I love the mini's form factor, the USB 3 and Thunderbolt ports, the SD card slot, and how nicely it plays with my 22" HD monitor that's been sitting around unused since I used it with an old Win 7 laptop for some work-related things in 2010. And just generally that the mini's technology is 7 years advanced from my old iMac's. :D

The bad news: how sluggishly the mini handled Lightroom and Photoshop. Especially LR. I've been spoiled by the frisky performance of a computer with an SSD inside: my 2013 11" MacBook Air, 1.4 i5, 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD. By comparison to the MBA, the new mini didn't do much better with my photo editing than my old iMac. Although the MBA's CPU and RAM look "inferior" to the mini's, it left the mini in the dust. To open LR, the mini took 45 seconds, and the MBA took 7. :eek:

My solution: I dropped the mini off at a local Mac repair shop (with Apple certified techs), to have the HDD replaced with a 1TB SSD. The total cost of mini with the new SSD + the original purchase price will be about $1170 (+ tax). I'm fine with that. I'm fine assuming the risk of voiding the warranty and all that yada yada. No way could I live with a teensy 256GB SSD on my main desktop computer, and although I'm sure the Fusion Drive is a good thing, I'd rather just go full steam ahead with a 1TB SSD. (The cost-comparable options available from Apple are either the 256GB SSD or the 1TB FD.) Getting the mini at the $100 discount to start, and knowing I'll be able to realize a little cash for the old iMac, makes me happy with this choice and its bottom line costs. In the meantime I'm using the MBA in clamshell mode. It's OK and I might have just been able to replace the iMac with this setup. But it would require too much use of external drives - my photos alone are about 500GB - and I really like having the MBA just for portability, without a lot of my sensitive personal documents, etc., on it.

I'm hoping that when I bring my newly-SSD'd mini home from the shop, it will handle Lightroom, Photoshop, and everything else a lot faster than it did with the HDD. If it doesn't, you'll probably be able to hear my howls of disappointment from coast to coast!! :apple:

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.