Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wilhoitm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
No compelling reason for Apple to get into this market...at least not yet. I think the big issue with TV isn't picture quality but user interface and content. These are two things that a set-top box can change and i am assuming apple will start with at WWDC. I don't think the TV service will be introduced until the fall...just in time for football and the tv season.

I think you are right! It is not the TV but the content and the delivery method! I can't see Apple buying Verizon, Comcast or Direct TV because they need something that would work Worldwide! Maybe Apple will put their own satellites in Space? :)

fredfnord

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2007
Sweet Jesus...

...I wish this guy would shut up already.

...investor Carl Icahn, who today shared a letter covering on products he believes Apple will introduce over the course of the next several years

Oh look, someone with a lot of money. He must know everything about everything!

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
The funny thing is all the idiot apple bloggers who are now convinced the tv was stupid. Of course it was, but it never stopped them from foaming at the mouth at the time. They couldn't be told different.

Now they'll ignore what they've written in the past and tell you just how a tv makes no sense for Apple.

dss10

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2012
Icahn is a leach. He produces nothing, adds no value, and only makes money by gaming the system.... How could he know anything about product strategy...

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
apple has always said that is does not want to compete in commodity products.

display devices are commodity devices. leave it to manufacturing companies such as samsung to find effective strategies to make money in making physical monitoring devices.

apple even is slowly getting out of the business of selling a screen/monitor for headless macs. its clear.

the way forward for apple has been clear for several years. it is as a software and services company. not as a hardware company if that hardware is software independent.

being able to market devices that match the box with the firmware/software has allowed apple to make great devices. it still is able to run circles around dell and lenovo and HP and all the others because it controls the whole package.

but, even that strategy can evolve: there will come a day when apple does license (again...) its manufacturing and sales of (physical) computers. at that time it will just sell the software and services that computers use. anyone lately look at the total % of business that macs are for apple? even with the halo effect of iPhone, it still is pitiful on a world basis. it still is very much a (globally) windows world.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Just because they "shelved it" doesn't mean it won't manifest by 2020. 5 years is a long time in tech.

True. I'm not saying an Apple TV set will come, but other products may have a higher priority at this time. After all the iPad was temporarily put on the back burner for development of the iPhone. And with the cable/sat business definitely appearing to be in a slow but certain transition, time could be in Apple's favor here.

If a compelling feature for an Apple branded TV set were to be developed, devised or accidentally unearthed some time in the future, the project could always easily be revived.

For now there's lots of room for improvement to the existing :apple:tv, mostly an app store and the GUI.
Many, including yours truly, are eagerly looking forward to the next version of the :apple:tv.

anshuvorty

macrumors 68040
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
We can now finally put the iTV rumor to rest! Beside the badly kept Apple Watch secret, this was the 2nd worst kept secret by Apple in terms of longevity, IMHO. Will be interesting to see if that Apple Car rumor announced several months back will start popping back up :cool:

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Ah, the world is round again. Building a TV seems far too backwards looking for Apple-- especially when they're at the forefront of giving you screens every where else.

A TV is just a big display. ATT and Comcast are just wires. The interesting part is what goes in between, and Apple TV is already there.

jpgr15

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2015
even that strategy can evolve: there will come a day when apple does license (again...) its manufacturing and sales of (physical) computers. at that time it will just sell the software and services that computers use.

This would be a disappointing day for me. I want Apple in charge of the hardware. I very much value the amount of effort they put into design and integration. It might be what I like the most about Apple. It is definitely their niche.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Good thing.
I don't feel like paying another $5,000 on a TV at the moment, but I do feel like acquiring the Apple technology on my TV.

Yep, I'm looking forward as well to adding all of Apples software features to my existing TV for about $99. $199 is fine as well. I will order one on launch day. And possibly two if it is particularly compelling.

When I'm in the market for a better screen, I will buy directly from Samsung again.

WelshDog

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2002
Austin
Ah, the world is round again. Building a TV seems far too backwards looking for Apple-- especially when they're at the forefront of giving you screens every where else.

A TV is just a big display. ATT and Comcast are just wires. The interesting part is what goes in between, and Apple TV is already there.

Agreed. Unless they can make a TV like the one in Videodrome that has Debby Harry's mouth on it - it's not a money making proposition.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I highly would disagree with an Apple television.. Otherwise we would have heard more instead of just going "quiet"

Plus, it would also explain why Apple is instead building on Apple TV streaming service and channels like HBO Now, and others have basically come along week after week as well on what we already have.

Its easier to build on existing devices than to start from scratch,and trying to bring content along.. and Apple is learning that

MikePLP

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2014
This is a perfect example why Apple is a leader and not a follower.

----------

I bet nobody is happier than Samung right now.

senseless

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
I have my doubts about 4K TV taking off, let alone a high priced Apple version. 4K has been out for a while and I don't know anyone that owns one or even talking about getting one. Will this go the way of 3D television?

GLS

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2010
Somewhere this evening, Gene Munster opened the bottle of scotch on the table, took a small glass with a few ice cubes and poured himself a drink.

He took a long moment, contemplating the years of predictions that he made that the Apple television set was just around the corner, another market to conquer.

And like that, his wishes and dreams were vanquished.

Nah. He will just find something else to pimp/promote/pontificate about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.