Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
Wow, yes that would be really irritating.

I had a KT4004 for some time. I used it with iPad, iPhone, a DeLock USB 3.0 hub, a 3.0 Western Digital bus-powered drive, and two 3.0 Western Digital AC-powered drives. All worked fine, but admittedly I never used the KT4004 with Yosemite.

I was forced to upgrade to Yosemite recently, and everything still works fine. I have a different card than you do, but it does have the same chipset and uses the same drivers.

I'm curious what kind of devices you are having issues with. I recall some people having problems with specific-chipset drive enclosures, certain hubs, one specific memory card reader, and the Nikon D800 camera.

I frequently use a Sandisk Extreme USB 3.0 thumb drive and have problems with that, but it's not just that...it's other devices, but it's random and infrequent. When it happens, I usually wind up plugging into one of the front USB 2.0 ports! :)

nigelbb

macrumors 65816
Dec 22, 2012
Just a shame there are no decent cards with independent USB controllers for a good price. I wanted to buy the HighPoint RocketU 1144C but here in the UK they are selling on amazon for £140.29!! Which is $220 just insane no chance I'm paying that for a card.
Following on the recommendation of another poster here on MacRumors I have ordered this card from amazon.com in the US. It's due to arrive next Friday for £61.08 including shipping & taxes http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DW5QGLM/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Stil double the price of the Inateck KT4004 that I currently have but not a bad price given the four independent controllers.

tomscott1988

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2009
UK
Inateck KT4004

My Inateck KT4004 arrived this morning.

Plugged in booted up, light comes on I think brilliant!

Check PCI tab and it is showing and also in the USB tab as super speed usb3!

Plug in a USB3 2.5" WD elements 2tb HDD, spins up and…. nothing

Try another, USB3 2.5" Seagate 1.5TB HDD, again spins up and…. nothing

Try something that may not need so much power so plug in my USB3 CF card reader and nothing.

Try a USB2 2.5" 250gb drive and nothing…

I haven't tried any powered devices yet but surely there shouldn't be an issue there?

Go back into PCI and says driver is installed. So I try a restart, try all again and non of them work, nothing mounts, nothing shows in Disc Utility.

Have a quick look online for drivers can't find anything for mac. Im now getting very cheesed off, second card this week that shows up in PCI but nothing mounts. Bought the Inateck KT4004 as recommended.

Does anyone have any ideas? Or does this cards like questioned earlier not run with Yosemite??

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

mikeboss

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2009
switzerland
this card works flawless in Yosemite and Mavericks. I do own several of these cards (amongst others). have you tried different USB cables?

tomscott1988

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2009
UK
this card works flawless in Yosemite and Mavericks. I do own several of these cards (amongst others). have you tried different USB cables?

Each devise has its own USB3 cable… and they all work on my Macbook Air via USB3. SO I doubt its the cables and the fact all 5 devices won't mount...

After buying the card from the recommendation, I have had a quick read online seems 75% of threads say this card won't work in Yosemite and a few that say theres is working.

I haven't tried mavericks but don't really want to downgrade the OS for USB3.

There is a thread here with a response from Inateck saying

"Dear customer,
I'm sorry that our PCI-E cards can't perfectly support Yosemite for now.
Sorry for the inconvenience"

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6654253

mikeboss

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2009
switzerland
the INATECK KT4004 works in Yosemite and Mavericks without the need of installing any KEXTs (driver). in what type of Mac Pro have you installed the card? can you post a picture of your card? maybe it's a different revision..?

----------

There is a thread here with a response from Inateck saying

"Dear customer,
I'm sorry that our PCI-E cards can't perfectly support Yosemite for now.
Sorry for the inconvenience"

this is complete nonsense. the card runs the exact same USB 3.0 controller chip as the Mac Pro (Late 2013). but maybe there's a new revision of the card, I don't know. mine are REV:B3 and they work flawless.

tomscott1988

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2009
UK
Well that is why I bought the card because i thought it was designed to work with the pro.

There are a few threads on the Inateck forums with the same info that the card won't work. Im not disputing that yours doesn't work, I can only go with the fact mine doesn't.

I bought the card from amazon looks just like this

71QmeVKU23L._SL1300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ports-Inate...qid=1432302118&sr=8-1&keywords=inateck+kt4004

Im at work atm so will have to have a look at the revision when I get back.

I have a 5,1 2010 Mac Pro upgraded with a hex 3.46ghz 48gb ram.

When you upgraded to yosemite was it a clean install or an upgrade from mavericks? Ive just got the machine so its a fresh install of yosemite. Wonder if the drivers transfer? I have a drive with Mavericks so I will give that a go later too.

I also have a 2008 oct 2.8 so il give it a go in that too.

Like I said the card is showing but doesn't recognise any devices, just frustrating.

mikeboss

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2009
switzerland
I never do upgrades, I always run clean installs. my card looks exactly the same as the one on the picture you posted. but mine actually reads KT4004 REV:B3 instead of KTU3FR-4PA. the controller chip is a "Fresco Logic Inc. FL1100-1Q0".

Last edited:

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
There are a few threads on the Inateck forums with the same info that the card won't work. Im not disputing that yours doesn't work, I can only go with the fact mine doesn't.

More than likely the card is just bad. That does happen from time to time. I guess once you try it in your other Pro's, it'll get figured out.

tomscott1988

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2009
UK
Its just strange the card comes on and boots with the LED indicator light and is recognised by the pro. The Orico card I bought wouldn't even pick up in the PCI tab.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Try pulling your other PCIe cards (if you have any). Then doing a clean install of Yosemite on a BLANK drive. If that works, then one by one add your PCIe cards one at a time and test the USB card after each new install.

If all is working at this point, then add your Apps. One at a time and test USB after each new install. If it's conflicting hardware or software, this should help you find the problem.

If it's not working right out of the gate, remove the cars and place it in another slot (making sure it's seated properly), do an SMC/NVRAM reset.

Still not working... Return it and select a different card. I have my KT4004 installed in a Mid 2012 5,1 listed in my Sig. It works flawlessly for me. It's been through countless clean installs of Yosemite. It seems that in some peculiar environments or setup combinations, problems arise. Same with all computers and computer hardware since the early days. You may just need to make another selection.

I like the RocketU 1144C, and I'm very interested in the new Sonnet card. Perhaps you might want to try one of the new 3.1 cards. I've not used any of those yet. None of this is a perfect science, so you have to find what works for you. It reminds me of my blood pressure medication :rolleyes:

----------

Put the card in the 2008 MP and is working under Yosemite.... How odd...

This tells you that it certainly is compatible with Yosemite. The wildcard is your other hardware/software configuration. Test as I have posted above.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
tomscott1988,

Let me throw some more information into the mix. The card could work perfectly for you in Mavericks and fail in Yosemite for this reason as well.

All of your hardware loads drivers when booted. In Mavericks things could be working perfectly for your 5,1 and Inateck. You install Yosemite and get updated drivers for your particular hardware, any hardware. Doesn't have to be original hardware. Perhaps something you've upgraded/added. The NEW drivers are having an issue with your Inateck device (could be any device, not just Inateck USB). The device isn't working so you feel that it's not compatible with Yosemite. It really is compatible with Yosemite, but won't function correctly because of another hardware driver that is getting loaded in the background.

This happens... It may or may not be what is going on it your case. This however is why Inateck says it's not "Perfectly Supported". I'll give you a hint though... No add in hardware is "Perfectly Supported". Inateck didn't want to invest the time and money on finding a solution on a financially limited market it. It just didn't make logistical sense for them. It was easier to say that Yosemite isn't supported.

If you don't track it down quickly, don't waste too much time. Just return or sell the card and select a different model. I assure you the card works fine where there isn't some conflict. Your estimate of 75% not working is a vast embellishment however. I would guess it's more like 2%-5% who actually have an issue. It's actually pretty rare but not unheard of, and it can happen with any upgrade.

rjtiedeman

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2010
Stamford, CT
Found a software solution to USB disk ejections.

When I upgraded to Yosemite my 2010 MP 5,1 6 core would not even start with my OLD FASTA USB card installed unless I held the option key. I now have a (UPDATED Driver) Velocity X2 PCI and a NEW FASTA PRO USB card working together. My MP runs perfectly except for USB disk ejections on sleep. I found a software solution that I have been experimenting with that actually works. It's called MOUNTAIN http://appgineers.de/mountain/ and I have set it to unmount on sleep so I don't forget. It is also remounting on wake up. I have been trying it for 2 days now and it is working. I am not connected in any way with the developers I am just saying if you are worried about screwing up your external drives with the constant error message this can help. If you are waiting of apple to fix USB 3 for "END OF LIFE" machines then good luck. This solution cost $5 at the apple store.

wolf1734

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2014
France
Wow, yes that would be really irritating.

I had a KT4004 for some time. I used it with iPad, iPhone, a DeLock USB 3.0 hub, a 3.0 Western Digital bus-powered drive, and two 3.0 Western Digital AC-powered drives. All worked fine, but admittedly I never used the KT4004 with Yosemite.

I was forced to upgrade to Yosemite recently, and everything still works fine. I have a different card than you do, but it does have the same chipset and uses the same drivers.

I'm curious what kind of devices you are having issues with. I recall some people having problems with specific-chipset drive enclosures, certain hubs, one specific memory card reader, and the Nikon D800 camera.

good evening
I have to tell you that on my Mac Pro 2006 2.1 tranformer in 2007 I put an NEC USB 3.0 PCIe card and it works well under trtes Yosemite maverick and also here I can provide the driver for the card.
cordially

tomscott1988

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2009
UK
INATECK KT4004 5,1 Problem solved

So I installed the card and reinstalled Yosemite, problem solved...

Must have been a driver issue.. although I only installed Yosemite last week.

Thanks for all your help :apple:

nigelbb

macrumors 65816
Dec 22, 2012
Following on the recommendation of another poster here on MacRumors I have ordered this card from amazon.com in the US. It's due to arrive next Friday for £61.08 including shipping & taxes http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DW5QGLM/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Stil double the price of the Inateck KT4004 that I currently have but not a bad price given the four independent controllers.
The card arrived yesterday & is now installed in my Mac Pro & working well. I think that I will order another for my wife's Mac Pro too.

nigelbb

macrumors 65816
Dec 22, 2012

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I'm pleased with it however for those of us in UK/Europe it is literally less than half the price when ordered from Amazon in the US than if purchased locally http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DW5QGLM/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8

Sorry to hear that about the price. I paid over $140 for my first RocketU too. As expensive as it was at the time, it was worth it. The price has went down substantially in the U.S. which is great. Perhaps it will start reducing in the U.K./Europe too as HighPoint is about to begin releasing their USB 3.1 offerings next month.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.