Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jefhatfield

Retired
Original poster
Jul 9, 2000
...or what books are in your library for work, for fun?

Right now, I am reading The King and I by Herbert Breslin and Annie Midgette, about Pavarotti

As for work books, I have about 50+ technical books about PCs, Macs, routers, math, and robotics

...and a few law books (The Federalist Papers, Petersen's LSAT Guide, Barron's Law Dictionary, and Great American Trials), a few music books (Electric Guitars - A History, History of the American Guitar, and Epiphone - House of Stathopoulos, as well as the Pavarotti book mentioned above), the Bible, and a couple of books on Albert Einstein and a set on Richard Feynman...at least those are the books I have most recently read or browsed through

And of course, I have bestsellers like The Bell Curve, Middlesex, The Celestine Prophecy, some classics, and a Norton Reader...overall, I try to keep the book collection between my wife and I down to a couple hundred since space is limited :)

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
I'm currently reading 3.

A Fine Balance by Rohinton Minstry. I'm just finishing this and it was a great read.

Native Son by Richard A. Wright.

Disgrace by J.M. Coetzee. This is a short read but quite good. I actually read/am reading this today while I am in sick.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Several weeks ago, I bought my first self improvement book, "7 Habits of Highly Effective People," hoping I'll gain insight into the mindset of successful people, and become more motivated.

I haven't started it yet, but I will.

Later.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Batman Begins : The Screenplay (I'm a screenwriter myself, so that's why I chose this specific version :cool: )

This is in addition to my monthly magazines subscriptions - Sports Car International, Macworld, National Geographic... enough to keep me busy. I wish I had more time for reading, it just never seems like enough, and I do really enjoy it... and it is sad to see it becoming a "lost art" in many respects these days... :cool:

L

Lau

For my birthday, my aunt gave me The Summer Book, by Tove Jansson (creator of the Moomins, dontcha know, although this wasn't like the Moomins :p).

I just read it the other night and it was great, really touching and funny as well.

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
I'm reading "Hitchhiker's Guide To Galaxy" from Douglas Adams at the moment. I'm almost through but I also have the next ones from him, so they will follow.

jakochampolska

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2005
All over but the shouting by Rick Bragg (for school, but its pretty good)

and Catch 22 by Joseph Heller (I dont really understand this book to well)

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
I'm reading "Wicked - the life and times of the Wicked Witch of the West" by Gregory Maguire. It's really amazing that he has been able to create an entire biography around a fictitious character.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
max_altitude said:
I'm reading "Wicked - the life and times of the Wicked Witch of the West" by Gregory Maguire. It's really amazing that he has been able to create an entire biography around a fictitious character.
That's a fun read. It's been made into a rather successful broadway, too and the sequel, "Son of a Witch" has been released. I also got, "Mirror, Mirror" and "Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister" but have yet to read those two.

Currently reading (for school but I enjoy it), Body Outlaws, Minding the Body, and The Body Project: An Intimate History of American Girls.

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
jakochampolska said:
Catch 22 by Joseph Heller (I dont really understand this book to well)
don't. it is a wonderful book, but you have to let it flow over you. if you try to think too much, it gets messy. i loved it when i read it. i wanted to watch the movie, but i heard it was a piss-poor attempt.

i'm currently reading/listening to four books:
1) Health Care Law and Ethics (for class)
2) Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (reading to my wife, helps her sleep - she's never read it before)
3) Old Testament - currently in Exodus
4) Book of Mormon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.