Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gruv2ths

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2011
now show in Mac OS as 0%, and if i go to system preferences - power properties - the error occurs during collecting data.

I think water damage pull down SDA line of SMC.
kOhm.

So i believe that you need to start eliminating users of the Battery SM bus.
(battery, battery lever indicator, charger IC and SMC)

Sounds like you have unplugged the battery light indicator.

I would next (with the laptop off) unplug of battery with the magsafe plugged in, look and see if you see logic on both SDA and SMC pins. If so the battery was/is messing up communications on the Battery SM bus.

If the battery unplugged changes nothing, the only 2 thing on that SM bus that you have not eliminated are the charge controller and the SMC.

This is drastic, but it is how i narrowed down my sm bus problem.
I narrowed mine down to either the charger chip or the SMC. Since I can replace the charger chip, i cut the trace to the bad signal with an exacto at that pin of the charger IC. Doing that disconnected the charger chip from that pin on the bus.

The charger chip is being replaced now, will report back when it's done.

Lloydz1914

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2015
mb 13 late 2008 a1278

Hello,

First of all I want to apolagize for my english, not my native language.

I've been reading this tread for the past day (all the 139 pages) looking for some help, and learned a lot with you.

I have a mb late 2008 a1278 that doesn't turn on, only with charger or battery the same, no power.
magsafe has no led, charger IC doesn't have 12v, it has 4.04v, already changes it, had 12v for few second, then all again to 4.04v. I think that he probably is dead. I have 3.3v at power pads. only with battery have 12v, 3.3v on power pad but efi chip doesn't receive any power.

I was hopping if someone could help me

Thanks in advance.

----------

BTW i've seen that Q6910 was off, change it with a used on and now saw that R6917 has 17v on one side and ground on another

Last edited:

sbakar

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2015
This is an excellent thread but I haven't found a reference to my questions.

I have a 820-2879 that had liquid spilled. There is almost no corrosion and I have made 3 passes with isopropyl alcohol and a brush. I am getting all S5 rails including 0.9V, 3.3V and 5V. I am not getting any S3 rails or S0 rails. PM_SLP_S3_L and PM_SLP_S4_L both show zero volts. I tried jumpering a working 3.3V S5 rail to the S0 enable circuit where PM_SLP_S3 goes in but the fan still doesn't turn on at least when I try bridging the power pads on the top or bottom side of the circuit. I unfortunately do not have a component that I can solder across to give the S0 enable a 3.3V supply so I have to hold the jumper wire with both hands. My questions are these: first, to go into S0 mode, don't BOTH PM_SLP_S3_L AND PM_SLP_S4_L have to be working? At least that's what I interpret from the Power Control Signals chart in the schematics. If I supply 3.3V to the PM_SLP_S3_L or PM_SLP_S4_L circuits individually, the fan does not turn on. Second, in your video, you supplied 3.3V to the S0 enable as a bypass for PM_SLP_S3_L but was PM_SLP_S4_L working? Finally, is it okay to use the power pads on the logic board as 'Power On' or should one use the keyboard power button?

I should mention that the green light comes on brightly when the MagSafe is connected, and that the battery charged properly with an orange light that turned to green in the expected time for a full charge. It seems like I should be able to figure this out but I am being held back by a lack of hands to give 3.3V to S0 enable while turning the power on!! Perhaps I should unscrew the keyboard from the laptop so that I can maneuver it more easily while keeping it connected to the logic board? I did try bridging the power pads both with and without the keyboard ribbon connected just in case that was the problem but no luck there.

imransurat

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2015
I have seen it mentioned a few times that people have had issues with their Macbook Pro running slow on battery power but working on charger just fine. I finally came across a logic board that was doing just this. The symptoms were:

1) Runs fine on charger. No slow down or lag.
2) Unplug the charger and everything slows to a crawl. Kernel Task is using up full CPU bandwidth.
3) AHT reports a sensor error 4SNS/1/40000001:VPOR

I started looking around on the logic board to see what I could find out. I came across a liquid damaged portion of the board that did not look great. As I was measuring resistance across one resistor it moved... not good. I desoldered it and repaired the landing pad and replaced the resistor with a new one from a spare board. I then noticed a test point that looked rather corroded and indeed the entire copper dot had rotted out and opened up the trace between two capacitors. I repaired the trace with a small mod wire and...

Problem resolved. Just thought I would report this in case anyone had run into this. It may be a good idea to have a look at these particular circuits on your logic board.

The model is a Macbook Pro 13" mid-2010 model. The photo is one I dug out of my files so ignore the notes concerning backlight voltage. However, see the red and green notes concerning the bad traces I discovered.

Hope this helps someone rescue a Macbook. :)

Date 5/5/2015. Hi all how r u there brothers, my self imran I have a same issue with macbook pro 13 2011. 820-2936 board. That macbook pro is run very slow with battery but when I attached adapter macbook pro works fine. Ni issue at all. So, please help me brother. My whatsapp no. Also here 00918905770688. And I very thankful to dadioh. Who helps a lot off people of mac technician. Thanks to all with them. And I m very happy to here.

saintsteve

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2015
Thanks your answer.

I found the faulty of the logic board. This is an amplifier IC, which drives the loud speaker. It was short-circuited and it didn't allow to wake up the macbook. I replaced it today since then it has worked fine.

Hi Macelek01, I have exactly the same problem on exactly the same board!! which amplifier IC did you swap out???

Jason Sperry

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2015
MBP 13" Mid '09 A1278

Hi, I'm hoping to fix my computer, too. No power at all. Starting about a couple weeks ago the battery light won't even come on anymore, nor will the MagSafe light. I had taken it to the Genius Bar and they said it looked like a logic board issue, liquid damage, and that the battery was swollen, causing the trackpad to malfunction.

Got a new charger, installed a new MagSafe board, logic board, and battery. Still nothing. I assumed I would be repairing the logic board, and got a new one so I could compare the voltages to all the small components. But I see there must be another issue.

When I removed the original battery I noticed some oil, which finally jogged my memory. I'm almost certain I spilled a small amount of olive oil on the trackpad only. I only noticed oil on the battery and trackpad chip. I never spilled anything else on it. Just stopped working one day. Really looking forward to fixing it. Thanks in advance!

agencik

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2013
Mbp 13 820-2936

So i believe that you need to start eliminating users of the Battery SM bus.
(battery, battery lever indicator, charger IC and SMC)

Sounds like you have unplugged the battery light indicator.

I would next (with the laptop off) unplug of battery with the magsafe plugged in, look and see if you see logic on both SDA and SMC pins. If so the battery was/is messing up communications on the Battery SM bus.

If the battery unplugged changes nothing, the only 2 thing on that SM bus that you have not eliminated are the charge controller and the SMC.

This is drastic, but it is how i narrowed down my sm bus problem.
I narrowed mine down to either the charger chip or the SMC. Since I can replace the charger chip, i cut the trace to the bad signal with an exacto at that pin of the charger IC. Doing that disconnected the charger chip from that pin on the bus.

The charger chip is being replaced now, will report back when it's done.

Hi "gruv2ths"
have you sort it out your MBP? as I've got similar problem I think, mine doesn't see the battery at all and I had bad sda & scl line so I've replaced two popup res with new ones and I have noticed that u7000 is faulty it self as well so I've got replaced this one too, so I'm getting now sda & scl ok and all around u7000 looks fine as well but the battery is still not visible and the battery indicator doest work as well. I don't know if anything else left to check apart from SMC do you have any idea how to check SMC or anyone know please? Thanks

compguy24

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2015
MBP Late 2007 2.4ghz a1226

Hello everyone, been following this thread closely, searching for something to help me out. I keep thinking I'm getting closer, but no such luck. I have the computer in the title, and it will only boot with the SMC Bypass. No battery charge, high fans, etc. I have taken it apart a couple times, but cannot find the SMC chip. I found an upload of Landrex Board View, but don't have, and cannot find, the .brd files for this computer. I believe I need 820-2101-A, but I am not sure, and don't have the computer in front of me at the moment, so feel free to correct me! I just would like someone to take a picture of the chip, or explain where it is, if you could. It would be much appreciated.

bladerex

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2014
Germany
Hello everyone, been following this thread closely, searching for something to help me out. I keep thinking I'm getting closer, but no such luck. I have the computer in the title, and it will only boot with the SMC Bypass. No battery charge, high fans, etc. I have taken it apart a couple times, but cannot find the SMC chip. I found an upload of Landrex Board View, but don't have, and cannot find, the .brd files for this computer. I believe I need 820-2101-A, but I am not sure, and don't have the computer in front of me at the moment, so feel free to correct me! I just would like someone to take a picture of the chip, or explain where it is, if you could. It would be much appreciated.

sLCKpu.png

Here you go....

ajiebali

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2014
Battery Indicator

Anyone has a problem like this?
My Battery Indicator always appear even magsafe disconnected.
Some corrosion inside and i clean it already but still doesnt help.

screen10.png

IcarusFalling

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2015
Hi, all. Hoping someone can help me.

I was taking a look at a Macbook Pro 13-inch, Early 2011 for a friend - who reported a dead battery and other difficulties starting. The way it was explained I thought the OS got corrupted with one too many power disconnections when running, which seemed to be confirmed when the battery was fixed and the system would only work again after a reformat.

Everything seemed fine, until (when I was foolishly testing it with the metal back plate still off) it died when running and wouldn't power back on no matter what. Battery only, nope. Magsafe only, nope. The SMC reset key combination, nope. SMC bypass trick, nope.

So I'm trying to get to the bottom of this. It seems either a strange coincidence that it died just as I was testing it after a routine battery change, or I did something catastrophically stupid and... well, I'm not sure. Maybe I shorted something out with the board exposed?

The battery charges, and the green (or orange if it's charging) light comes on. Measuring with a multimeter, many of the voltages are live - including G3Hot. Nothing seems to get burning hot, but many of the components are warm to the touch.

I've attached a photo. Seems there's a bit of corrosion, but I can't remember if it pre-dated me working on it, and I didn't take a 'before' photo.

Based on this evidence is it clear what happened? Whether the board was on its last legs or whether I killed a working board (guess it doesn't really matter, but if I did it I want to make things right)? Is there hope for it (I don't have much in the way of diagnostic equipment, only a multimeter, soldering station and heat gun)? Any guess as to what the next step would be?

Thanks a lot in advance for any assistance. This is really driving me nuts.

Attachments

• mbp.JPG
    mbp.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 943
Last edited:

eki84

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2014
Hi all. After liquid damage my fan runs at 100%. Cleaned all. Tried with another Trackpad! AHT shows Exhaust-0 Error! Is must be a SMC problem. I tried with a new fan, no luck!

It is a 13" late 2011.

Any ideas?

Sylver78

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2015
Hi here, I've just got a not working MBP 13" mid 2009 and I decided to try to repair it for challenge :p
The symptoms are similar to the ones from a guy at the very beginning of the thread :
- MBP is doing nothing on power press, SMC bypass is not working either
- When pluging magsafe, the led light is very low and changing quickly from green to orange
- The battery level indicator is working only if the magsafe is plugged
I've put a known good battery in the system with no change, so I decided to check some voltages.

What I've found is that :
- G3Hot voltage is OK (3.44V) when plugged from magsafe (but not ok with a known good battery only) which explains why led battery indicator is not working.
- U7060 output (which is input and gate for Q7001) is 0v instead of 14,3V as measured on another board
It seems that this component (U7060 -> TL331 SOT23-5) is dead, I'll get one and change it to see if it goes any better ...

Thanks to everyone in this topic, reading you allowed me to find schematics & and brd for my board and to find hints on where to look ... I'll keep you updated !

NicoNL

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2012
Hi, I repaired many Macbooks (mostly water damage, backlight and/or charging circuit).
Now I have two quite peculiar MB13 pro i7 2012 that I don't succeed in completing...

First one:
It was severely damaged by coffee. No backlight, no charging. After replacing 6 resistors, one mosfet, and bridging 7 places where the copper was completely oxidated away, it now almost works... (See pics)

mbp13-backlight-repair.jpg mbp13-6259-repair.jpg

What is not working:
- after powering on with the mag safe adapter connected, it switches (hard) off when you disconnect the power adapter. This is strange, because the battery is working, is charging and is visible thru the os. Also all SDA- and SCA-signals are OK, as are all the other ISL6259-pins
- powering on with the battery won't work, *unless* one keeps the power button pressed for 4 seconds, then, after releasing, it starts. This seems to be a special (debugging) mode, because now I can connect and disconnect the adapter without the macbook powering off...

It really puzzled me, until this afternoon I decide to do AHT. There I saw the measured Vc0c was faulty. Vc0c is the CPU voltage. It gave 3.196V...

When measuring with a multimeter the CPU voltage was of course 0.8V. But the SMC_CPU_VSENSE was also 0.8V, at least till where it disappears under the SMC-chip.
So possibly there is a shortcircuit OR a disconnection underneath the BGA-chip.
Reflowing should probably help, and I would allready have done it, but because there is really much corrosion damage on this one I'm a bit scared to do so...

Anyways, do you people think that if the SMC is measuring a too high CPU-voltage, that it is likely/possible that it would do a hard power-off? And if so, why only when the Macbook is running on battery?

Last edited:

NicoNL

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2012
Hmzz, not so much traffic here anymore?

Anyways, the second MB13-i7:

What it does: booting into and flawlessly completing AHT and memory test.

What it does not: booting into OSX, from (tested) HD (with tested cable) or from (tested) USB-stick.
I get the grey screen with a turning wheel...

What I tried: removing the FireWireDrivers from the SystemLibrary. I did so because the customer told me there was a problem with FireWire before. When I boot in Verbose Mode the FireWire entries weren't there anymore. However it still got stuck. When booting in debugging mode (Power button pressed, then connecting etc.), I get lots of SMC-error-messages, and they *keep* coming,so the machine is not really stuck, but more in a loop or paused.

Difference I saw when booting the same HD in another MB13-i7:
In the faulty one I got this entry: "IOPPF: Found another boot volume"
This entry was NOT in the working one.
This entry was not the last one, but the second or sometimes third before last.

IOPPF has something to do with Intel Power Management? And is this related to the not booting (I suppose so...)?

I really hope someone here does know about this kind of things....

Lloydz1914

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2015
Hey there, I have a macbook 2008 unibody, that didn't turn on and thanks the tips see here, now it is working fine, but I have no wifi, it said that doesn't have a airport connected, already tried with diferent airport and cable, the same, my question is, did the smc bypass caused some damaged to the wifi circuit? it is receiving 5v power and 3v. bluetooth works fine.

thanks

Chabze

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2015
hi all, i have a very strainge issue with a a1278 2009 logic board, issue being on testing im getting green light on magsafe and orange when charging ok. battery is charging fine. i have 12v + at both white fuse points ok.
G3HOT shows correct voltage. but board acts DEAD ...no fans nothing, no response from power button. no response when jumping G3HOT. even tried SMC reset and SMC bypass mentioned in beginning threads.
Any ideas where to go from here?

Craig131

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2015
I'd just like to share how I was able to fix the issue outlined in the original post (about the SMC Bypass).

If you want a TL;DR: The problem was with the POWER CORD! Replacing it was the solution for my situation.

My father's Macbook (model A1226) was working fine for years, when all of a sudden it stopped booting. After some research I discovered the mysteriously undocumented SMC Bypass method. It was the only way the computer was able to start up. If it ran out of power we had to run through the whole process of holding down the power button for 10 sec, without letting go plug in the power cord, etc. Basically it was the exact issue addressed by Dadioh in the original post. My father is pretty stingy with his money (the price of a new logic board was too high for a computer that "worked"), so I ended up writing down the SMC Bypass instructions on a sticky note on his computer. He happily used it in the annoying bypassed SMC state (fans running full speed, battery indicator not working, etc.) for several months...

Anyways, after reading some of these posts I was certain that it was a logic board problem, specifically an issue with the SMC chip. As Dadioh suggested, I pulled out the logic board and inspected it for any spill damage (or visible damage of any kind). There was none, it looked pretty much like a brand new board.

At this point I should have probably checked the G3Hot voltage and all of the other multimeter fun outlined here, but I didn't. I was short on time and just told him that he definitely needed a new logic board, which would be around $80-90. As a last-ditch effort I decided to reflow the solder in this logic board with my heat gun, since there was nothing to lose (he ended up buying a new computer before this point :l). Long story short, the reflowing did no good (but didn't destroy it either :D).

I was about to give up, but I decided to try the power cord (Magsafe 85W) from my mother's much newer Macbook. Astonishingly, using this cord everything was suddenly fine, the SMC Bypass was no longer needed (unless I switched it back to the old power cord)!

After some inspection I found that the cord he was using (which functioned perfectly for over a year) was rated at only 65 Watts, while this model of Macbook requires an 85 Watt power supply. Could this be the problem? I'm not sure, I don't have another 65W power cord to test with.

So that was my solution.. Maybe we should condense down all of the potential solutions to this problem, as it appears to be a symptom of multiple different hardware issues.

Here is the solution list for this problem as I understand it.

If the only way to start your Mac is the SMC Bypass, you should try these steps:
  1. If the battery in this computer is also dead and won't charge, verify that the power cord you are using provides the proper Wattage. If it does not, obtain one that does or try a different charged battery with the power cord unplugged.
  2. Check the logic board for signs of spilled liquid. If there is, clean it off with 99% IPA and a toothbrush.
  3. ... Your solution here.

Let's try to get the solutions to this issue properly documented!

Edit: I should mention that his battery was completely dead. If your battery still holds a charge, I don't think this solution would work for you, as you don't need a power cord to boot it in the first place. (Although I am really not sure about this, it just seems to make sense.)

Last edited:

l.a.rossmann

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2009
Brooklyn
Ok this thread makes my head hurt. Everyone is yelling about their own problem and commenting on other people's problems all right next to one another. It is impossible to follow.

If people can make separate threads for their separate problems, perhaps a dedicated area for logic board issues, I will do my best to answer each one individually and give them attention. If it will be limited to this thread, I will not because it will make my head hurt.

Reactions: AleXXXa and fega72

agencik

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2013
And Battery light indicator button on the life side isn't working also.
Hi there, if you still having problem check sda & scl line two resistors on the edge next to the bil connector you should have 3.4V if you have on both sides 3.4V check capacitors on other side. If you have oscilloscope its easier to verify if they working properly or not

cybegar

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2015
Greece
Hi all,

I've been reading this thread for the last couple of weeks, trying to figure out what is going wrong with my macbook pro 13" mid 2010 (A1278-820-2879).

The issue began when I removed the battery and then re-attached it again, in order to perform a HW reset. Since then the macbook stoped identifying the battery. There is no charging going on and the battery life indicator is not working anymore.

I have replaced the ISL6259 and R7021-R7022 as well.
In the logic board I have (without battery):
Green light on magsafe

ISL6259 pin 2 shows 16.44V
ISL6259 pin 3 shows 4.0V
ISL6259 pin 14 shows 2.31V
ISL6259 pin 12 shows 3.42V
ISL6259 pin 19 shows 5.05V
ISL6259 pin 20 shows 5.05V
ISL6259 pin 16 shows 12.26V
ISL6259 pin 23 shows 12.26V
ISL6259 pin 24 shows 12.26V

Q7055 pins 1,2,3 shows ~12.26V
Q7055 pin 5 shows from 7.81 up to 9.89V
Q7055 pin 4 shows 11.22V

Could somebody help me out?

Thanks

Last edited:

Dadioh

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
Canada Eh?
Hi all,

I've been reading this thread for the last couple of weeks, trying to figure out what is going wrong with my macbook pro 13" mid 2010 (A1278-820-2879).

The issue began when I removed the battery and then re-attached it again, in order to perform a HW reset. Since then the macbook stoped identifying the battery. There is no charging going on and the battery life indicator is not working anymore.

I have replaced the ISL6259 and R7021-R7022 as well.
In the logic board I have (without battery):
Green light on magsafe

ISL6259 pin 2 shows 16.44V
ISL6259 pin 3 shows 4.0V
ISL6259 pin 14 shows 2.31V
ISL6259 pin 12 shows 3.42V
ISL6259 pin 19 shows 5.05V
ISL6259 pin 20 shows 5.05V
ISL6259 pin 16 shows 12.26V
ISL6259 pin 23 shows 12.26V
ISL6259 pin 24 shows 12.26V

Q7055 pins 1,2,3 shows ~12.26V
Q7055 pin 5 shows from 7.81 up to 9.89V
Q7055 pin 4 shows 11.22V

Could somebody help me out?

Thanks
Pin 14 at 2.3V sounds odd. Should be 3V or more. That is the AC_OK signal from the charger to the SMC. Make sure something isn't loading it down.

cybegar

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2015
Greece
Pin 14 at 2.3V sounds odd. Should be 3V or more. That is the AC_OK signal from the charger to the SMC. Make sure something isn't loading it down.
Dadioh, thanks for your help.

Please forgive my ingorance. I have seen in the schematic, that CHGR_ACOK (output of charging circuit) becomes CHGR_BC_ACOK (input of SMC) has a pull-up resistor, namely R5087 (470K). Could that be something I need to check?

I also saw that SMC_BC_ACOK goes to 1-Wire OverVoltage Protection. Should I also check something there?

Dadioh

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
Canada Eh?
Dadioh, thanks for your help.

Please forgive my ingorance. I have seen in the schematic, that CHGR_ACOK (output of charging circuit) becomes CHGR_BC_ACOK (input of SMC) has a pull-up resistor, namely R5087 (470K). Could that be something I need to check?

I also saw that SMC_BC_ACOK goes to 1-Wire OverVoltage Protection. Should I also check something there?

With power removed and battery unplugged check the pull-up resistor to see if it is 470k.

The 1 wire system could affect it but I am not sure that would explain the inability of the system to see the battery. That behavior is usually related to the i2c bus that runs between the isl6259, the BIL, the battery, and the SMC. Check the pair of pull-up resistors on those lines. I think they are 2k from memory, no schematic in front of me. They are located near the BIL connector.

lightingfreak

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2013
HI, i'm new in this forum and i have a question:
i have a macbook pro (mid2010) A1297, 820-2849
with an 85 W charger, battery and MagSafe-DC-In-Board all new and working
but the battery is discharged only 10 mv left
No response to power button. No response to standard SMC reset procedure.
light green on magsafe but do not charge the battery
here i attachted some mesurments that i made with fine tips and a digital multemeter
sorry i i gave too much info at start
any help would be appreciated.
if anyone needs k17 or k92 or k6 shematics ,let me know because i have them.
sorry for my english

Hi kokito,do you have the k92 bard view as well? I have only the schematics. Kind regards, lightingfreak

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.