Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bote

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2005
Philadelphia PA
I am quite savy with MS Windows PCs, but have thankfully switched recently to Mac in my personal life. I have been trying to learn as much as possible but I am a bit stumped about startup items. I have a Mac Mini that I recently upgraded to 1gb of ram and i am running OS X Tiger 10.4.1

When I go to apple\about this mac\more info\Startup items it list things that I don't think I really need starting at startup: Apache web server, Remote desktop, etc. Do I need these items and if not how do you remove? I went to System Preferences\Accounts\my user name\then login items but most of those items are not present. Can anyone help me with this?

Bote

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2005
Philadelphia PA
mad jew said:
Welcome to Macs.

Yeah, you need those items. :)

Thanks I am enjoying every minute of it.

Ok cool. Good thing that I did not fiddle with it any further.
Thanks for your assistance.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
Bote said:
I am quite savy with MS Windows PCs, but have thankfully switched recently to Mac in my personal life. I have been trying to learn as much as possible but I am a bit stumped about startup items. I have a Mac Mini that I recently upgraded to 1gb of ram and i am running OS X Tiger 10.4.1

When I go to apple\about this mac\more info\Startup items it list things that I don't think I really need starting at startup: Apache web server, Remote desktop, etc. Do I need these items and if not how do you remove? I went to System Preferences\Accounts\my user name\then login items but most of those items are not present. Can anyone help me with this?
Sorry to return this thread from the dead but some of those things you can turn off in sharing pane of system Prefrences if you don't need them. Apache is personal Web Sharing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.