Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 4, 2005
Just a few photos of the storm that rolled in early yesterday afternoon.

100417344_e2e3a9db92.jpg

100417052_8157099314.jpg

100416825_8ade15bf7c.jpg

100416631_efcf5d2337.jpg

100416433_5a511c8561.jpg

100416229_8f5717c6dd.jpg

Just took them on the road near my place, handheld, Kodak Easyshare CX7300. I'm not a photo pro person so that's all the info I can provide. They might not be that good but I like them.

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
Nice shots mate! I love storm clouds/thunder/lightening, they're so menacing and malevolent. Was it a decent storm or did it sort of just pass through? We haven't had a decent one down here for a while, though the next couple of days are supposed to by hot so who knows what that might bring.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 4, 2005
max_altitude said:
Nice shots mate! I love storm clouds/thunder/lightening, they're so menacing and malevolent. Was it a decent storm or did it sort of just pass through? We haven't had a decent one down here for a while, though the next couple of days are supposed to by hot so who knows what that might bring.

Fast, lasted about 30 minutes or so but an absolute doozy. Poured with rain to the point where I could barely see the building next door and the roads turned into torrents, lightning strikes everywhere as my lights flickered on and off for a while, the thunder sounded like it was in the next room.

It was churning like an angry ocean underneath, everything changed so quickly. Lots of up and down and sideways movement but I don't think it was rotating - awesome squall line as it came in. Wouldn't surprise me if there were a few waterspouts off the coast, it was moving north-east and those photos towards the mountains are basically looking due east - two blocks behind me is the beach.

By the time I went off to work about an hour later the skies were all but clear, a few storms on the horizon beyond the escarpment but so far nothing's come of them. It is nice and cool now though, can't sleep, too much coffee at work. We got a new espresso machine and the coffee it puts out tastes amazing.

Meanwhile, at 2am on the 17th (about 12 hours after the storm) the streetlights are still out. It's soooo dark outside, you should see the stars- we have easily 5 times the number of visible stars as the northern hemisphere as the Milky Way runs across our night sky. At about midnight tonight Orion was there (upside down wrt all the pictures you see in books) in the northern part of the sky and as clear as I have seen it. The storm not only knocked out a lot of the light pollution but it blew away most of the smog from the steelworks. It's a beautiful night tonight.

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
^^Sounds nasty. It was probably on the news,which I haven't been watching much lately :rolleyes: The stars sound amazing. On a nice clear night we get a pretty decent view though there's a bit too much light pollution - get a bit further out of town and it's awesome.

Crappy night here, still about 22 and muggy :mad: Can't sleep, have to be at work by 8.30 (in like 6 hours) :eek:

Chundles

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 4, 2005
max_altitude said:
^^Sounds nasty. It was probably on the news,which I haven't been watching much lately :rolleyes: The stars sound amazing. On a nice clear night we get a pretty decent view though there's a bit too much light pollution - get a bit further out of town and it's awesome.

Crappy night here, still about 22 and muggy :mad: Can't sleep, have to be at work by 8.30 (in like 6 hours) :eek:

Can't sleep either. It sucks. I'm not even tired. Wish I had some red wine.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 4, 2005
max_altitude said:
Where's the jew with the fine wine when ya need him? :rolleyes:

Who knows? Maybe he does sleep after all?

A Mac trojan and jew sleeps all on the same day? Hell froze over and satan's become a mormon.

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
Chundles said:
Who knows? Maybe he does sleep after all?

A Mac trojan and jew sleeps all on the same day? Hell froze over and satan's become a mormon.

Your concerns were unwarranted. :D

I'm more of a cab-sav guy myself. But I actually prefer white, nothing like a good Cardonay (it's french, the "h" is silent :D ).

Chundles

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 4, 2005
mad jew said:
Sorry, just been out "wine tasting" with friends. Red wine, eh? Can I recommend a full bodied Coonawarra Shiraz, perhaps a Zema? Mmm... :p

Have I told you lately that I hate you?;) :D

Coonawarra Shiraz.....mmmmmmmm......

I like most reds, not much of a fan of merlots but I love my Cab Savs and Shiraz and have even taken a liking to the Pinot Noir from Coldstream Hills.

We had a bunch of d'Arenberg wines at my old work, some special releases only for us, Footbolt, Ironstone Pressings, some Dead Arms - they were very tasty but not really good quaffing wines....;)

My favourite shiraz was a 98 Penfolds Kalimna, just soooo good.... All I need is something that will knock me unconscious for a few hours. It's past bloody 3am and my body's still running on full.

Oh yeah, anybody else like my photos?

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
Chundles said:
It's past bloody 3am and my body's still running on full.

Tell me about it. I think we'll start giving people the impression that all Aussies are insomniacs.

Oh yeah, did I mention that I liked the last photo best?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Sorry, yeah, love the photos but I hate you too. :p

I've got the same camera and have never managed anything even half as pretty. I hope you unplugged your macs if there was lightening. I really shouldn't have had so many jagerbombs, I'm never going to sleep tonight. :eek:

Oh, and if you ever get your hands on a Shottesbrooke Merlot, you may change your mind about them. Chardonnays? Anything from the Yarra Valley is good. :cool:

Why the Hell are we all still up! :D

Chundles

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 4, 2005
Problem is..... I'm still up. Might head out and take in the sights of the ocean sunrise. Starting to get towards dawn now.

Don't know if I can handle another coffee, I don't know what was in those bloody things to get me this wired for this long? Maybe someone spiked my drink at the pub? I'm totally awake and feeling fine.

iSaint

macrumors 603
Awesome pictures! I love thunderstorms. With the advent of web accessible radar, you can easily follow a storm and know whether there's a greater danger nearer my house to worry about. I'm usually on the iBook and/or standing outside while the family is huddled in the hall.

What are those pictures of, MankieApple?

MankieApple

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2005
UK
They are pictures of the Buncefield Fuel Depot explosion, just outside London.

I can remember them looking really out of this world and quite like some of the images in Independence Day the movie. But i see a resemblance does anyone else?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.