Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ethen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2005
Hi Guys,

My powerbook is extremly hot on the top part near the screen (the hinges too)
Is there a way to underclock it and makes it run cooler? it's the PB 1.6Ghz that i just picked up at compusa

the heat is really unbarable, it runs at 45c and also the GPU runs at 100c, that's really odd, the GPU runs really hot.

Thansk in advanced for the help

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
ethen said:
Hi Guys,

My powerbook is extremly hot on the top part near the screen (the hinges too)
Is there a way to underclock it and makes it run cooler? it's the PB 1.6Ghz that i just picked up at compusa

the heat is really unbarable, it runs at 45c and also the GPU runs at 100c, that's really odd, the GPU runs really hot.

Thansk in advanced for the help

100°C? Are you sure I mean, if you touched it you would be scalded. Thats 212° F, boiling for those who never took 4th grade science.

I find it hard to believe a portable GPU can get 200 degrees. My G5 CPU dies never go about 160F

ethen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2005
i guess eeing is beliving :p

i brought it back to compusa twice for a new unit and all reports the same 100c gpu

here is the screenshot

Attachments

• gpu_temperature.png
    gpu_temperature.png
    233 KB · Views: 242

thomasp

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2004
UK
I've got a 15" 1.5GHz PowerBook (last model before the HD ones) with a 64Mb graphics card.

When I push my computer hard (like play X-Plane), Temperature Monitor has reported the Processor/Controller Bottomside sensor as reaching 63.2C, and the Processor Bottomside sensor as reaching 62.0C (their maximum temperatures before the computer will shut itself down are 76.0 and 75.0C respectively) - I don't seem to have a sensor for the graphics card.

The hinge on the lid does get incredibly hot when the processor reaches those kinds of temperatures, but it is designed to take heat away from the laptop.

You can "underclock" it slightly by adjusting the energy saver prefs to "Reduced Performance".

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
i understand its what your sensor says it reads, but really man, 200+ degrees? Boiling water like a hot plate on your laptop, on the friggen GPU of all things?

I really logically, dont think its possible.

The fact it says 100.0 exactly, notice the others have decimals, seems like it could be broken.

Though unless its not ALWAYS 100.0 my arguement is dead.

thomasp

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2004
UK
Additional Note:

In temperature monitor, go into the Window menu and choose "Sensor Overview" - what is the specified upper limit for the GPU sensor?

It could be that the sensor is giving false readings to the OS, but still giving correct readings, etc, to the fan controllers.

ethen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2005
thomasp said:
Additional Note:

In temperature monitor, go into the Window menu and choose "Sensor Overview" - what is the specified upper limit for the GPU sensor?

It could be that the sensor is giving false readings to the OS, but still giving correct readings, etc, to the fan controllers.

it said 69c

thanks

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
told ya 100.0 sounded odd.

and think logically about what might go wrong sometimes, 200 degrees is damn hot and really impossible to hit in a personal computer that isnt overclocked.

thomasp

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2004
UK
ethen said:
it said 69c

thanks

As the "Specified Upper Limit"? What was the "Value" reading in that same window?

It sounds like TM is incompatible with your graphics card sensor. It took until 10.4.4 and a new version of TM to get data from the sensors on my PB.

wasimyaqoob said:
Whats the name of that program, and where can I download it?

Temperature Monitor.

Go to http://www.pure-mac.com and search for it there :)

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
The GPU would probably burn up or at least shut down if it was really running that hot....something's wrong with the software.

That's funny too, because I have had a similar experience with ThermographX. I use Temperature Monitor on my flashed GeForce6800GT, which almost never touches 70C. ThermoGraphX, on the other hand, told me that it was running at over 115C at idle! So it doesn't work with my sensors.

Unfortunately, I have an upgraded CPU (from OWC) and for some reason it's sensors don't show up in any program. :(

ethen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2005
Anyone knows how to reduce the cpu speed? to save more battery and reduce the heat? people tell me reduce the cpu speed where can i find this setting?

and my Pb's fan never stop :p any clue guys?

Thanks

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I believe there is a speed setting in the Energy Saver Control Panel...

Bear in mind that the Powerbook G4 can get pretty darn warm under normal operation, especially if you place it on a bed or something that will absorb and retain the heat. Consider buying one of the many laptop cooler pads out on the market.

shambolic

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2003
Staten Island, NY
Apparently the GPU temperature is correct.

The author of Temperature Monitor has a comment up at the Versiontracker page for the application:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/19994

The newest PowerBook models are fully supported by the application. A temperature of 100°C (212°F) for the internal sensor of the ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 chip is the correct and expected temperature, as designed by Apple and ATI. The sensor overview feature of the application also explictly notes that 100"C is the allowed maximum for this sensor location, as specified by Apple. So there is no need to "worry", and the displayed values are accurate.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Wait a minute...

The newest PowerBook models are fully supported by the application. A temperature of 100°C (212°F) for the internal sensor of the ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 chip is the correct and expected temperature, as designed by Apple and ATI. The sensor overview feature of the application also explictly notes that 100"C is the allowed maximum for this sensor location, as specified by Apple. So there is no need to "worry", and the displayed values are accurate.

That would indicate that the 9700's normal operating temp is the same as its maximum safe operating temp...huh?

If they really say 100C then I guess it's 100C - but that's a very high temperature, significantly higher than any non-overclocked card I've ever heard of.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.